Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 214

Thread: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 presidential

  1. #11
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 president

    I find it incredibly ironic that those who are crying and whining about unnecessary spending have no issue with forking out millions (billions?) for this voter ID card, just because since the year 2000, there's been a incidence of .000001 of documented voter fraud. Please, gimme a freakin' break. Amazing how gullible people are...
    Last edited by Middleground; 09-01-12 at 01:32 PM.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  2. #12
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    What are the arguments that make the case for voter ID laws being discriminatory and/or of a suppressing nature?
    Those pushing for these ID laws know full well that the elderly, the poor and the students will most likely not vote because of it. That is the sole reason. It has absolutely ZERO to do with voter fraud because voter fraud is about as common as a pig flying.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  3. #13
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    What are the arguments that make the case for voter ID laws being discriminatory and/or of a suppressing nature?
    I don't necessarily buy into the discrimnatory nature. I think most people on both sides make the possibly mistaken assumption that most of these votes will go Democratic.

    I'm against it because I think it's unnecessary. It's not very likely to prevent voter fraud, because the real issue is more likely with absentee ballots. Nobody checks those IDs.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  4. #14
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,133

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 president

    Ok, why would this law discourage or prevent the elderly, the poor, and students from voting?
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  5. #15
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,381

    Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 presidential

    I don't want voter fraud but I don't obsess over it. I'd be ok if they phased in voter ID over 2 years. My understanding is that even a blatant fraud can still vote provisionally.

    If any of the elections are close, I'm sure that person would have any number of citizens who would help convert their provisional ballot to a full one by helping to get the correct documentation. What are we talking about, maybe a dozen people in a few districts?
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

  6. #16
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    Ok, why would this law discourage or prevent the elderly, the poor, and students from voting?
    Voter suppression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  7. #17
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,133

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Where in that article does it detail exactly HOW voter ID laws target and suppress certain groups? I saw how these laws are commonplace in Europe, how some people claim it is a minor inconvenience that we already deal with for everything else, and how others claim it is discriminatory to some groups.... but no HOW. HOW is it discriminatory?
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  8. #18
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 president

    Sometimes, these discussions are very enlightening.

    My initial reaction was that anybody can and should get ID. It's part of "responsible citizenship". But, maybe voting isn't relevant to responsibility and I see how this could be a partisan issue.

    The only people with no ID are really generally the homeless. I know this is correct because I lived in SF for 18 months and got to know quite a few park (Golden Gate) junkies, hippies etc. They always lost their ID and other possessions.

    If you're going to round up a busload of losers and take them to the polls for a free lunch in exchange for them voting, it's more of a Democrap tactic than a Repugnantcan tactic. So, it probably gives an advantage to the Democraps. As long as they really are US citizens, I suppose they are entitled to vote even if it's meaningless to them.

    Since I'm a responsible (elderly) citizen, I have tons of IDs and I suppose I expect that of everyone. This year, when I go to vote, I will conduct a test by claiming I don't have ID but I'll insist on voting and see what happens to me. I've always been asked for ID but I always had ID. I'll report back here. I'm not poor BTW but I dress poor (cheapskate with 30 year old T-Shirts) so this should be an education.

    I do think that ID should be free and easy to get just on GP. But that's another topic.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I have absolutely no problem presenting my D/L to cash checks, open bank accounts, fly on a commercial airliner, enter my municipal swimming pool or golf course, withdraw money or any of the myriad ways my D/L allows me access.

    So it stands to reason I would have no problem at all presenting a photo i.d. to vote. If people don't have D/L's, they should be provided state i.d.'s for free. I did not have to present my birth certificate to get my D/L. Nor to register to vote. My mom didn't have to present her birth certificate to get a state i.d.

    It's not difficult. It's not unreasonable. And, frankly? If one isn't smart enough to get a photo i.d.? They probably shouldn't be voting anyway. And, guess what? They probably don't.
    What you've admitted to is disenfranchising people, that's the end of your argument right there. You don't get to decide under our system who's worthy of being able to vote.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in 08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    Where in that article does it detail exactly HOW voter ID laws target and suppress certain groups? I saw how these laws are commonplace in Europe, how some people claim it is a minor inconvenience that we already deal with for everything else, and how others claim it is discriminatory to some groups.... but no HOW. HOW is it discriminatory?
    Not everyone has a photo ID.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •