Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 214

Thread: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in ‘08 presidential

  1. #91
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,449
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in ‘08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    ...because Acorn employees were paid for the number of people they registered. Acorn never really perpetrated registration fraud rather its employees perpetrated payroll fraud AGAINST Acorn.



    ...so, there is no problem. Thank you!
    Not to mention that it was ACORN who called the cops on ACORN. Amazing that this tidbit is omitted by partisan press.
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  2. #92
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,419
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in ‘08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    That is not the point. The point is that the laws are supposedly intended to address a problem that is all but nonexistent, and that can be expected to prevent thousands of legitimate people from voting. The fact that YOU find it necessary or conventient to have a photo ID doesn't justify mandating that EVERYONE must have one.
    I remember when "Your papers, please." Was a cliche perjorative against the kind of oppressive state we abhorred.

    They used to actually call America a "paperless democracy".

    How times have changed.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  3. #93
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,119
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in ‘08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    It doesn't, but the SCOTUS has recognized that right regardless. What do you think the 14th and 19th Amendments are?
    They serve exactly the same purpose as the 26th amendment does. The constitution does not specify that voting is a citizens right. If it did, then states couldn't deny voting to convicted felons.

    States have always been allowed to put certain rules and restrictions on voting. All the constitution does is state the methods that States can not use to restrict voting, in order to prevent discimination.

    Voting is now and always has been a priviledge, not a right.
    Last edited by Grim17; 09-01-12 at 06:42 PM.

  4. #94
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,127

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in ‘08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    How so? Just because it is their parent's HOUSE doesn't mean it can't be their place of residence. Are the voter ID laws requiring people to own homes to vote?
    They require current residence. If you go to school in a different state, you are effectively disenfranchised. Unless you go home to vote, but you'd miss a bunch of classes for that.

    There is, of course absentee ballots. Which is where the real fraud happens.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #95
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in ‘08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    They require current residence. If you go to school in a different state, you are effectively disenfranchised. Unless you go home to vote, but you'd miss a bunch of classes for that.

    There is, of course absentee ballots. Which is where the real fraud happens.
    Your place of residence would be the college dorm, no?
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in ‘08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Stores in the US lose millions of dollars a year to theft, but very few people are ever arrested for shoplifting. Using your logic, stores shouldn't use security cameras and scanners because there are very few shoplifters.
    No using my logic that would mean because there are only 5 or 6 items stolen per year from stores(ie fraudulent votes cast in this analogy), but very few people are arrested. It would be silly to mistakenly bar thousands of people from using stores because they could potentially be one of those 5 or 6 shoplifters. Using my logic, it still sounds ridiculous.

    I've got nothing against making our voting system secure, obviously a trustworthy voting system is critical to having a functioning democracy. But people being able to vote freely and legitimately is also critical to a democracy. When the State government of Florida itself says during its purging its only caught one person who's fraudulently voted, and perhaps 5 or so more who should be investigated its not worth the cost of possibly disenfranchising thousands a number which again comes from the same state government.

    How does doing that make our democracy better? How is our democracy stronger when thousands who have ever right to vote can't vote because we are worried about a handful of possible fraudulent votes? Thats' my concern/

  7. #97
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,119
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in ‘08 president

    Hey Adam, I'm still waiting for your response to this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT
    Specifically, they want to disenfranchise poor and minority voters who tend to vote Democratic. That is the only election fraud going on here.

    Well, let's see here.

    Are the poor given free ID's if they can't afford them?

    The answer is yes. In the Supreme Court decision in the Crawford v. Marion County Election Board case, Justice Stevens wrote in the majority opinion that:

    "The relevant burdens here are those imposed on eligible voters who lack photo identification cards that comply with SEA 483. Because Indiana’s cards are free, the inconvenience of going to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, gathering required documents, and posing for a photograph does not qualify as a substantial burden on most voters’ right to vote, or represent a significant increase over the usual burdens of voting."


    That makes it quite clear that if states are going to require ID cards to vote, they must offer them free of charge so that those who can't afford them are not disenfranchised.

    How does requiring an ID pose more of a burden to minority voters, than it does to majority voters?

    The answer is, it doesn't. All citizens regardless of race, are issued the same legal birth certificates, the same citizenship papers, have access to the same government facilities and modes of public transportation, are charged the same amount of money for a legal ID if they can afford one, and both are offered one free if they can not.

  8. #98
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,119
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in ‘08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    No using my logic that would mean because there are only 5 or 6 items stolen per year from stores(ie fraudulent votes cast in this analogy), but very few people are arrested. It would be silly to mistakenly bar thousands of people from using stores because they could potentially be one of those 5 or 6 shoplifters. Using my logic, it still sounds ridiculous.

    I've got nothing against making our voting system secure, obviously a trustworthy voting system is critical to having a functioning democracy. But people being able to vote freely and legitimately is also critical to a democracy. When the State government of Florida itself says during its purging its only caught one person who's fraudulently voted, and perhaps 5 or so more who should be investigated its not worth the cost of possibly disenfranchising thousands a number which again comes from the same state government.

    How does doing that make our democracy better? How is our democracy stronger when thousands who have ever right to vote can't vote because we are worried about a handful of possible fraudulent votes? Thats' my concern/
    My point is unbelievably simple, and yet it still managed to go right over your head... Your argument is that there is almost no significant voter fraud, based on the small number of people who have been charged and convicted of doing so... This time instead of creating an example that might confuses you again, I will get right to the point:

    Just because few people are getting caught, arrested and prosecuted for voter fraud, and crimes related to voter fraud, doesn't mean it isn't happening or the potential for it happening isn't there.

    Here are a few examples:

    Milwaukee
    Minnesota
    Philly
    Detroit
    Washington
    Nebraska
    Wisconsin
    Houston
    Florida
    New York
    Alabama
    More...

  9. #99
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,127

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in ‘08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by Republic Now! View Post
    Your place of residence would be the college dorm, no?
    That's probably not what's reflected on their DL. It's more common thata student would have their permanent address, usually their parents', on their ID.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #100
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,127

    Re: Canadian man living in Broward pleads guilty to voting illegally in ‘08 president

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    My point is unbelievably simple, and yet it still managed to go right over your head... Your argument is that there is almost no significant voter fraud, based on the small number of people who have been charged and convicted of doing so... This time instead of creating an example that might confuses you again, I will get right to the point:

    Just because few people are getting caught, arrested and prosecuted for voter fraud, and crimes related to voter fraud, doesn't mean it isn't happening or the potential for it happening isn't there.

    Here are a few examples:

    Milwaukee
    Minnesota
    Philly
    Detroit
    Washington
    Nebraska
    Wisconsin
    Houston
    Florida
    New York
    Alabama
    More...
    There's plenty of fraud. Most of it has to do with absentee ballots. That's why when there's a recount, it's usually those ballots that get haggled over. Who's checking those IDs? What do these laws do about real fraud?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •