Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 202

Thread: Police: Gunman kills two at N.J. supermarket

  1. #71
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,586
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Police: Gunman kills two at N.J. supermarket

    Quote Originally Posted by Furiounova View Post
    This guy had no history with his co workers since he had been there for only two weeks.

    Going postal usually refers to long time tensions and that is not what social terrorism is referencing.

    It is not as if suddenly the MSM is reporting it and that is the source of interest.

    He does have a history of mental illness and tweeted about killing co workers three years ago but I believe in 2009 he was in the Marines at the time so he would have been referencing other Marines.
    Apparently you have considerably more information on this case than was provided in your linked source, which did not reveal how long he'd worked there, whether he'd been fired, whether he'd been in the Marines or whether he had previously made threats against his coworkers. If you do not link to sources that offer this information, then there's no way for others to use said information in discussion.

    So...

  2. #72
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Police: Gunman kills two at N.J. supermarket

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Disgruntled employees have been shooting up their workplaces since I was a kid. Thing is, there was no cable news, no internet, Walter Cronkite wasn't interested, so the only place we learned about it was from newspapers. There's a reason workplace shootings have been called "going postal" since the 70's or 80's.

    This phenomenon isn't new, it isn't "terrorism", it's just plain old revenge from someone who felt wronged. Sad but simple.
    Exactly. It's the result of our living in the information age. Things are probably no worse with regard to violence of all kinds that they have been in the past, but we are living in a time when we know minute details of the lives of strangers.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #73
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    04-14-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,237

    Re: Police: Gunman kills two at N.J. supermarket

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Apparently you have considerably more information on this case than was provided in your linked source, which did not reveal how long he'd worked there, whether he'd been fired, whether he'd been in the Marines or whether he had previously made threats against his coworkers. If you do not link to sources that offer this information, then there's no way for others to use said information in discussion.

    So...
    The OP link is not the only available source and it is not my job to research every aspect but to only post a link to the event and given my opinion.
    My main function as a Christian is to be the biggest possible jerk as a demonstration of the awe found in God's Grace and Forgiveness. (That love part comes in to play at some point)

  4. #74
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,586
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Police: Gunman kills two at N.J. supermarket

    Quote Originally Posted by Furiounova View Post
    The OP link is not the only available source and it is not my job to research every aspect but to only post a link to the event and given my opinion.
    So you post a link with minimal information, then research hell out of the incident and the guy in question so you can use it to shut everyone else down. Got it!

  5. #75
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    04-14-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,237

    Re: Police: Gunman kills two at N.J. supermarket

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Exactly. It's the result of our living in the information age. Things are probably no worse with regard to violence of all kinds that they have been in the past, but we are living in a time when we know minute details of the lives of strangers.
    I think that is true in many respects because we often fail to realize we don't know very much so when we are given new information we tend to naturally think it is new to most everyone.

    I don't see that applying here because social terrorism carries some new aspects and one of the most important ones is no way to navigate to the root cause. One reason I call it social terrorism is due to it being fallout from our society. The US has an unusually high rate of gun violence among 1st world nations and this type of shooting is even more rare when comparisons are made.

    The shooters are not seeking a political agenda but they are inherently collectively pushing us to examine our society to seek the reasons for them seeking death for conflict resolution in situations usually resolved by a few meetings.
    My main function as a Christian is to be the biggest possible jerk as a demonstration of the awe found in God's Grace and Forgiveness. (That love part comes in to play at some point)

  6. #76
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    04-14-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,237

    Re: Police: Gunman kills two at N.J. supermarket

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    So you post a link with minimal information, then research hell out of the incident and the guy in question so you can use it to shut everyone else down. Got it!
    Yep. That was my goal all along. How did you Holmes in on it so fast?!?

    I posted the thread because this happened so shortly after the empire and batman shootings and then looked around for more information because few links have it all in one place.

    As a standard practice, it is always a good idea to look for info beyond a single MSM source.
    My main function as a Christian is to be the biggest possible jerk as a demonstration of the awe found in God's Grace and Forgiveness. (That love part comes in to play at some point)

  7. #77
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Police: Gunman kills two at N.J. supermarket

    Quote Originally Posted by Furiounova View Post
    Batman shooting

    Empire state

    Nj supermarket

    Out of recent memory not including the ones I've not read or heard about.

    If you don't like the word epidemic then let's call it a problem with a really high rate of frequency.
    The Empire State building shooting wasn't really a mass murder. The shooter killed one guy, and was then killed by the police. The only reason 9 bystanders were injured was carelessness on the part of the NYPD.

    Something like this happens in my tri-county region every few weeks, (ie man shoots other man, police kill shooter)... but WITHOUT the injured bystanders since OUR police are competent marksmen. Doesn't usually make nat'l news.

    The NJ supermarket... okay fine I'll grant you it TECHNICALLY meets the definition of "mass murder" in that two people were murdered (plus one suicide), but this is a relatively minor one... again, stuff very similar to that has happened in the local region and never made national news several times in years past.

    Of your three examples only the Batman theater massacre was really a major event.


    Like I said... overhyped.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  8. #78
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    04-14-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,237

    Re: Police: Gunman kills two at N.J. supermarket

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    The Empire State building shooting wasn't really a mass murder. The shooter killed one guy, and was then killed by the police. The only reason 9 bystanders were injured was carelessness on the part of the NYPD.

    Something like this happens in my tri-county region every few weeks, (ie man shoots other man, police kill shooter)... but WITHOUT the injured bystanders since OUR police are competent marksmen. Doesn't usually make nat'l news.

    The NJ supermarket... okay fine I'll grant you it TECHNICALLY meets the definition of "mass murder" in that two people were murdered (plus one suicide), but this is a relatively minor one... again, stuff very similar to that has happened in the local region and never made national news several times in years past.

    Of your three examples only the Batman theater massacre was really a major event.


    Like I said... overhyped.
    I stopped reading your post with the first sentence because I never said anything about a mass murder. Social terrorism doesn't require mass murder to happen.

    Let me know when you remove that straw man so I can continue reading your post.
    My main function as a Christian is to be the biggest possible jerk as a demonstration of the awe found in God's Grace and Forgiveness. (That love part comes in to play at some point)

  9. #79
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Police: Gunman kills two at N.J. supermarket

    Quote Originally Posted by Furiounova View Post
    I stopped reading your post with the first sentence because I never said anything about a mass murder. Social terrorism doesn't require mass murder to happen.

    Let me know when you remove that straw man so I can continue reading your post.

    Okay, so we've established that "social terrorism" is determined by "whatever Furinova SAYS is social terrorism". Glad you cleared that up.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #80
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Police: Gunman kills two at N.J. supermarket

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Okay, so we've established that "social terrorism" is determined by "whatever Furinova SAYS is social terrorism". Glad you cleared that up.
    The ol' "cause I said so" debate school, never heard of it G? Yeah, me neither.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •