Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 159

Thread: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    CHICAGO (AP) -- The Chicago Teachers Union issued a 10-day strike notice Wednesday, saying teachers in the nation's third-largest school district are ready to walk off the job for the first time in 25 years.
    News from The Associated Press

    don't mess with rahm the ram, the 9 1/2 fingered bossman has the soul of an assassin

    the teachers want more, teachers always want more, we work 181 days per year, 5 hours per day, very few of us commute...

    in my district we teach block schedules---that means every teacher in my district either starts work at 9:45, ends his or her teaching day at 1:25, or enjoys a two hour and ten minute break in the middle of the day

    ONE HUNDRED MINUTES OF PREP TIME PER DAY---that's my northern california school district

    and it's been that way since we went to block schedules a little over ten years ago

    kids, by the way, generally hate blocks---how'd you like to be responsible for assimilating mrs danilov's lessons when your russian trained math teacher drones on about trig identities for one hundred minutes at a time

    it's excruciating

    it's no picnic teaching that way either, i'd add

    i encourage the kids to goof off every 20 minutes or so, then back to it

    if they mess with me, i assign them 100 minutes of seat work

    i try very hard to be funny

    when my district went thru the pink slip nitemare three years ago i very gently spoke up in our after-staff-meeting union debrief, knowing the reception i'd get---shouldn't we consider going to 50 minutes of prep (ie, prep every other day) instead of laying off ms renfro, et al, the fired up young english teacher next door who had become a good friend

    very few of my colleagues know my politics

    don't mess with the ram

    Rahm-Emanuel-sends-layoff-notices-to-city-workers - Chicago Sun-Times

    in july of 2011 the hitman unilaterally ordered changes in his transportation dept---when the union balked at the new rules the ram canned 625 workers faster than the gipper cleaned up the atc (air traffic controllers)

    the ram is scott walker on steroids

    his compassion for the union workers he pretends to champion is as deep and heartfelt as uncle joe stalin's treatment of the proletariat

    in chicago, the teachers are demanding 2%, they also object to the district's reform of the pay scale---no more automatic steps and columns that allow old fogies like me to make DOUBLE what that pistol ms renfroe made, before we pink slipped her into running a private child care service

    it is what it is

    the ram unilaterally increased the school day to 7 hours---he's trying to keep the kids in school and off the street

    when you're sleeping thru mrs danilov's cosecants it's very hard to shoot to death the kid from the rival turf who is also snoring as the russian nazi continues to lecture to no one

    last year the ram unilaterally rescinded his teachers' 4%

    so we'll strike---it's all about the kids

    obama is stumping this week on education---the issue backfires on him

    republicans in tampa are spending a great deal of time talking REAL education reform---jeb is next

    oblivious obama concentrates his convention on extremely divisive social issues arising from some stupid comment made by a republican senate candidate in missouri---and the president's own extremist positions on life are thrust to the forefront

    when your record is 100% upside down it's impossible to distract to a favorable topic

    meanwhile, all most americans really care about is the economy---and dc has become under this agenda-mad administration one much bigger and more sprawling sacramento

    party on, progressives

    enjoy your abortion palooza in charlotte

    say hi to caroline kennedy---from the kids

    zzzzzzz
    Last edited by The Prof; 08-30-12 at 09:41 PM.

  2. #2
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    God damn I hate teacher's unions. And the Chicago teacher's union is one of the most notorious in the country.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #3
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,798

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Fire them all.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #4
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Because striking is surely the best way to help the students.

    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  5. #5
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,158

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by The Prof View Post
    News from The Associated Press

    don't mess with rahm the ram, the 9 1/2 fingered bossman has the soul of an assassin

    the teachers want more, teachers always want more, we work 181 days per year, 5 hours per day, very few of us commute...

    in my district we teach block schedules---that means every teacher in my district either starts work at 9:45, ends his or her teaching day at 1:25, or enjoys a two hour and ten minute break in the middle of the day

    ONE HUNDRED MINUTES OF PREP TIME PER DAY---that's my northern california school district

    and it's been that way since we went to block schedules a little over ten years ago

    kids, by the way, generally hate blocks---how'd you like to be responsible for assimilating mrs danilov's lessons when your russian trained math teacher drones on about trig identities for one hundred minutes at a time

    it's excruciating

    it's no picnic teaching that way either, i'd add

    i encourage the kids to goof off every 20 minutes or so, then back to it

    if they mess with me, i assign them 100 minutes of seat work

    i try very hard to be funny

    when my district went thru the pink slip nitemare three years ago i very gently spoke up in our after-staff-meeting union debrief, knowing the reception i'd get---shouldn't we consider going to 50 minutes of prep (ie, prep every other day) instead of laying off ms renfro, et al, the fired up young english teacher next door who had become a good friend

    very few of my colleagues know my politics

    don't mess with the ram

    Rahm-Emanuel-sends-layoff-notices-to-city-workers - Chicago Sun-Times

    in july of 2011 the hitman unilaterally ordered changes in his transportation dept---when the union balked at the new rules the ram canned 625 workers faster than the gipper cleaned up the atc (air traffic controllers)

    the ram is scott walker on steroids

    his compassion for the union workers he pretends to champion is as deep and heartfelt as uncle joe stalin's treatment of the proletariat

    in chicago, the teachers are demanding 2%, they also object to the district's reform of the pay scale---no more automatic steps and columns that allow old fogies like me to make DOUBLE what that pistol ms renfroe made, before we pink slipped her into running a private child care service

    it is what it is

    the ram unilaterally increased the school day to 7 hours---he's trying to keep the kids in school and off the street

    when you're sleeping thru mrs danilov's cosecants it's very hard to shoot to death the kid from the rival turf who is also snoring as the russian nazi continues to lecture to no one

    last year the ram unilaterally rescinded his teachers' 4%

    so we'll strike---it's all about the kids

    obama is stumping this week on education---the issue backfires on him

    republicans in tampa are spending a great deal of time talking REAL education reform---jeb is next

    oblivious obama concentrates his convention on extremely divisive social issues arising from some stupid comment made by a republican senate candidate in missouri---and the president's own extremist positions on life are thrust to the forefront

    when your record is 100% upside down it's impossible to distract to a favorable topic

    meanwhile, all most americans really care about is the economy---and dc has become under this agenda-mad administration one much bigger and more sprawling sacramento

    party on, progressives

    enjoy your abortion palooza in charlotte

    say hi to caroline kennedy---from the kids

    zzzzzzz
    wait ... are you actually a teacher? a board certified teacher?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  6. #6
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,075

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Because striking is surely the best way to help the students.


    Have any teachers union actually went on strike for the benefit of the students? Because I have never heard of teachers going on strike to end social promotion(passing a child due to age regardless of grades), to get school supplies and equipment for kids,to make it easier to fire lousy teachers, to get only healthy food served in schools or any other thing for kids.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  7. #7
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    wait ... are you actually a teacher? a board certified teacher?
    Given the poor quality of our education system, I wouldn't put much faith in the board's ability to certify anything.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Because striking is surely the best way to help the students.

    So, no one can think about their own compensaion for labor without considering others first? You shouldn't be concern with you pay without considering, what, the customer first? Explain.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Sounds good to me. They waited long enough. Hopefully, Rahm Emmanuel will make concessions so it doesn't have to go to a strike.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 08-30-12 at 10:31 PM.

  10. #10
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Have any teachers union actually went on strike for the benefit of the students? Because I have never heard of teachers going on strike to end social promotion(passing a child due to age regardless of grades), to get school supplies and equipment for kids,to make it easier to fire lousy teachers, to get only healthy food served in schools or any other thing for kids.
    It's time teachers' unions stopped treating the kids like cash cows. (That's not my line; it was in an editorial.)

    @ The Prof -- the teachers' union laughed at 2%; you've got that wrong.

    At present, the CTU wants a 29 percent salary increase over a period of two years. If the average salary of a CTU teacher is $69,000 as Crain’s reported, that would be an increase to just over $89,000. So far, CPS has come to the table offering a 2 percent salary increase, which would mean just under $2,000 based on that $69,000 figure.
    What's Next For Chicago Teachers Union After Strike Authorization Vote?: Chicagoist
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •