Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 159

Thread: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

  1. #41
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:15 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,887

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    69,000 for ~9 months of work is good pay.

    If they truly want smaller classroom sizes, then they should trade the offered 2% pay increase for additional teachers.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    10-03-12 @ 02:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    405

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Fire them all.
    No politician has that type of balls. And realistically, if its done in Chicago. The teachers can be replaced rapidly cause there are a lot of unemployed teachers out in the city and surrounding area. So they would have jobs that these teachers don't want.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Teachers are already over paid and under worked, their are plenty of educated people looking for work that would be all over the deal teachers already have. Maybe Romney will do for them what Reagan did for the air traffic controllers, bye bye.

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by Running View Post
    No politician has that type of balls. And realistically, if its done in Chicago. The teachers can be replaced rapidly cause there are a lot of unemployed teachers out in the city and surrounding area. So they would have jobs that these teachers don't want.
    I suspect many of the unemployed teachers agree with the employed teachers if only because the employed teachers are fighting for the unemployed ones to be rehired, so I doubt that would solve any problems.

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Teachers are already over paid and under worked.
    What evidence do you have of this?

  5. #45
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    1. Chicago is a Democratic city. Therefore, it's Democrats against Democrats and has nothing to do with a special interest group influencing a political party.
    Huh? Where is the inconsistency between an area being dominated by a political party, and that party's special interest groups having a lot of influence? That seems perfectly consistent with the way our political system works.

    2. Do you have any evidence that teacher's unions "are a force for mediocrity and the status quo."
    Teacher's unions make it as difficult as possible to fire bad teachers, to where it can take years (if it ever happens at all). Teacher's unions are opposed to any sort of educational innovation that might possibly have any unwanted effect on any of their members (e.g. merit pay, online education, charter schools).

    I'm interested particularly in light of the fact that the union that is the topic of this thread has put art, music, phys ed. and science in addition to counseling services necessary for high-risk kids as things they are fighting for in their contract. That doesn't sound like it HARMS society, it sounds like it HELPS society.
    If that's true it's just a coincidence because the needs of the students happen to match up with the goal of the teacher's union itself (e.g. hire more dues-paying art, music, physed, science teachers). And in any case, the strike itself harms students by depriving them of an education.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 08-31-12 at 10:39 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    10-03-12 @ 02:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    405

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I suspect many of the unemployed teachers agree with the employed teachers if only because the employed teachers are fighting for the unemployed ones to be rehired, so I doubt that would solve any problems.

    I suspect a lot of unemployed people want to work especially if they just finished school. And earning 60k for almost doing nothing is really good money. You have to be an idiot to pass that up.

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by Running View Post
    I suspect a lot of unemployed people want to work especially if they just finished school. And earning 60k for almost doing nothing is really good money. You have to be an idiot to pass that up.
    Who is "almost doing nothing"? Teachers? If so, can you demonstrate that with evidence?

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    10-03-12 @ 02:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    405

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Who is "almost doing nothing"? Teachers? If so, can you demonstrate that with evidence?
    You see that is the beauty of being a teacher. You show up, give them a worksheet you printed ten years ago. And now no one can accuse you of doing nothing. People like you eat it up and defend government incompetence cause you'd be just as bad if you were in a government position.

  9. #49
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Huh? Where is the inconsistency between an area being dominated by a political party, and that party's special interest groups having a lot of influence? That seems perfectly consistent with the way our political system works.
    The topic of this thread has nothing to do with "a party's interest groups having a lot of influence."

    Teacher's unions make it as difficult as possible to fire bad teachers, to where it can take years (if it ever happens at all).
    I agree that tenure, in some areas, could be more efficient. However, can you demonstrate the low efficiency of tenure is the fault of unions and not of the government or other groups?

    Teacher's unions are opposed to any sort of educational innovation that might possibly have any unwanted effect on any of their members (e.g. merit pay, online education, charter schools).
    Please show what "education innovation" teacher's unions are opposed to, why they say they are against, what their counter proposals are and why the "educational innovation" they oppose is better for students than their counter proposals.

    The reason I'm asking you to do this is because people often accuse teacher's unions of opposing things simply out of their own self-interest when, in fact, they oppose things because they believe that they have ideas that will help students more than the positions that they are opposing or because the things they are opposing are demonstrably negative in terms of how they affect students.

    If that's true it's just a coincidence because the needs of the students happen to match up with the goal of the teacher's union itself (e.g. hire more dues-paying art, music, physed, science teachers). And in any case, the strike itself harms students by depriving them of an education.
    Well, actually, teacher's needs and student's needs match up the majority of time which is one of the reasons why opposing teacher's unions is a perplexing position. Teacher and students want safer schools. Teachers and students want/need a diverse types of classes. That said, can you please demonstrate how you know that "it's just a coincidence" and that the teacher's union doesn't genuinely want those things for students? I ask because people often say those things based on their own prejudices rather than genuine insight into the beliefs of those whom their criticizing.

  10. #50
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by Running View Post
    You see that is the beauty of being a teacher. You show up, give them a worksheet you printed ten years ago. And now no one can accuse you of doing nothing. People like you eat it up and defend government incompetence cause you'd be just as bad if you were in a government position.
    No, I asked to demonstrate this with evidence. You're just giving me your impressions of what teacher's do all day. Can you please provide evidence in the form of statistics or other hard data to demonstrate that teachers do "almost nothing"? If you cannot do that, then your argument has no legitimate foundations.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •