Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 159

Thread: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Because striking is surely the best way to help the students.

    I suspect there is an actual argument in here somewhere that serves as a criticism of the strike, but you haven't articulated it well at all. Do you have an actual argument beyond the vague snark?

  2. #12
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,145

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I suspect there is an actual argument in here somewhere that serves as a criticism of the strike, but you haven't articulated it well at all. Do you have an actual argument beyond the vague snark?
    why wouldn't the teachers be expected to work longer hours for no addition compensation [/s]
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #13
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,305

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I suspect there is an actual argument in here somewhere that serves as a criticism of the strike, but you haven't articulated it well at all. Do you have an actual argument beyond the vague snark?
    Those teachers represent Chicago values, you better believe it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Have any teachers union actually went on strike for the benefit of the students? Because I have never heard of teachers going on strike to end social promotion(passing a child due to age regardless of grades), to get school supplies and equipment for kids,to make it easier to fire lousy teachers, to get only healthy food served in schools or any other thing for kids.
    Then you are uninformed about the subject of this very thread.

    There are three problems with your comment:

    1. The interests of teachers and the interests of students often reinforce each other. For example, when teacher's unions fight for more teachers to get hired, then students get more attention, more art/phys ed/etc. classes and so on. Similarly, when teachers get more benefits, districts attract higher quality teachers which benefits students.

    2. The union that is the subject of this thread is, in fact, negotiating things on behalf of students. Here's part of a statement by the president of CTU:


    The school board’s failure to offer us fair compensation or to even consider measures to retain qualified and experienced teachers, paraprofessionals, and clinicians in our schools are very serious issues. However, those do not trump our concerns about:

    • Reducing class size so that we can adequately address the varying educational needs of each child before them, or
    • The need for not merely a longer school day, BUT a BETTER DAY which offers students a world class education. We must make it a priority to deliver to every student in every classroom a rich curriculum that includes art, music, foreign language, and physical education.


    Chicago Teachers Union | CTU President Karen Lewis&rsquo;s Statement on<br/>Delegates&rsquo; rejection of the Fact-Finder&rsquo;s Report
    3. Teacher's unions are not student unions, they are teacher's unions. As a result, they are under no obligation to consider student interests in their activities. Moreover, strikes are about workers - not students or consumers. Therefore, the legitimacy of a strike is not determined by whether or not the workers strike on behalf of people other than themselves. Even so, the Chicago Teacher's Union has decided to fight also for students without the obligation likely because their members are not the greedy villains some would argue that they are.

    I hope that clears things up for you.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Those teachers represent Chicago values, you better believe it.
    Capitalism? Make as much money as I kind, fine for rich folks, but not teachers?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    It's time teachers' unions stopped treating the kids like cash cows. (That's not my line; it was in an editorial.)

    @ The Prof -- the teachers' union laughed at 2%; you've got that wrong.



    What's Next For Chicago Teachers Union After Strike Authorization Vote?: Chicagoist
    Have your side say no.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    It's time teachers' unions stopped treating the kids like cash cows. (That's not my line; it was in an editorial.)

    @ The Prof -- the teachers' union laughed at 2%; you've got that wrong.

    What's Next For Chicago Teachers Union After Strike Authorization Vote?: Chicagoist
    Can you put this in context please, so we understand why teacher's are asking for such a large amount? Why do the teachers say they want an 29% increase in salary?

    (FYI, that's the starting point, they're willing to go down.)
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 08-30-12 at 11:27 PM.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,778

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Because striking is surely the best way to help the students.

    Come on, you don't actually think they care about the students, do you? They just want to line their own pockets. The only thing the students are good for in this is as pawns.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #19
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Come on, you don't actually think they care about the students, do you? They just want to line their own pockets. The only thing the students are good for in this is as pawns.
    What makes you say that? As in, what specific things have they said to make you think that?

  10. #20
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,373

    Re: Chicago Teachers Union Gives 10-Day Strike Notice

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    wait ... are you actually a teacher? a board certified teacher?
    What does one need for that, a 2 year degree? I never played pro football, but I can tell you the Phins are lookin' at lose.


    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Capitalism? Make as much money as I kind, fine for rich folks, but not teachers?
    Are they State employees?

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •