Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,719

    Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal court has ruled against a Texas law that would require voters to present photo IDs to election officials before being allowed to cast ballots in November.
    A three-judge panel in Washington ruled Thursday that the law imposes "strict, unforgiving burdens on the poor" and noted that racial minorities in Texas are more likely to live in poverty.
    I agree with this, and here is why:

    1) A while back, I lost my driver's license, and had to get another one. In order to do so, I had to obtain my birth certificate, which cost me $25.00. Then my replacement license was another 10 bucks. If you don't have photo ID to begin with, then the cost is $16.00, which makes for a total of $41.00. OK, not that much money to me, but for someone who is poor, that is a barrier that he or she might not be able to hurdle. In essense, this amounts to a poll tax, which is a form of voter suppression.

    2) Is photo ID a good idea? Yes, I think so. All Texas has to do is to make sure that the photo ID, as well as ALL underlying documents required to obtain it, is free of charge. Then there is nothing equivalent to a poll tax in the law, and the law would be constitutional.

    Article is here.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    2) Is photo ID a good idea? Yes, I think so. All Texas has to do is to make sure that the photo ID, as well as ALL underlying documents required to obtain it, is free of charge. Then there is nothing equivalent to a poll tax in the law, and the law would be constitutional.
    Yep, I would support it if the I.D. and the ability to get supporting documents was free of charge. I don't like illegal immigrants, but I stand by that I would rather let 10 illegal immigrants in than suppress the vote of one U.S. citizen.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    I don't agree, in fact this rulling is insane!


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  4. #4
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yep, I would support it if the I.D. and the ability to get supporting documents was free of charge. I don't like illegal immigrants, but I stand by that I would rather let 10 illegal immigrants in than suppress the vote of one U.S. citizen.
    A little less bling and an ID can be had relatively easily. This is nonesense, period!

    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  5. #5
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,719

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    A little less bling and an ID can be had relatively easily. This is nonesense, period!

    Tim-
    So all black people are poor because they have "bling"? Nonsense indeed.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  6. #6
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,152

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Is photo ID a good idea? Yes, I think so. All Texas has to do is to make sure that the photo ID, as well as ALL underlying documents required to obtain it, is free of charge. Then there is nothing equivalent to a poll tax in the law, and the law would be constitutional.
    Yeah man...at the end of the day there are possibly millions of people in the country that have to go out and spend money (they may not have) to vote in order to stop a handful of voter fraud cases. Makes no sense if you're looking at it as a real measure to stop voter fraud.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  7. #7
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Actually, the law allowed for a free voter ID to be issued. Perhaps the the quick fix is to offer birth certificates free as well, at least to the supposed disenfranchised poor.

  8. #8
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,719

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    Actually, the law allowed for a free voter ID to be issued. Perhaps the the quick fix is to offer birth certificates free as well, at least to the supposed disenfranchised poor.
    Actually, NO IT DIDN'T. To vote with that "free" voter ID, you would have had to present a photo ID.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  9. #9
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Actually, NO IT DIDN'T. To vote with that "free" voter ID, you would have had to present a photo ID.
    No you don't. You obtain the ID from the DMV. If you don't have a photo ID, you can use yoru birth certificate and a SS card. You get your ID, for free and you're good to go. As I said, if the $25 is truly considered a burden (don't really think it is) to obtain your birth certificate, than offer it for free. Its the quick fix.

    TxDPS - Driver License or ID requirements

  10. #10
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    No you don't. You obtain the ID from the DMV. If you don't have a photo ID, you can use yoru birth certificate and a SS card. You get your ID, for free and you're good to go. As I said, if the $25 is truly considered a burden (don't really think it is) to obtain your birth certificate, than offer it for free. Its the quick fix.

    TxDPS - Driver License or ID requirements
    SS cards aren't free either. Neither is transportation to the DMV during operating hours, when a poor voter would otherwise be working and can't get away. Getting to the poll to vote, on the other hand, is usually much easier, since it is often held at local schools that are frequently within walking distance or accessible by already existing public transit. Or even by schoolbuses.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •