Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

  1. #31
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    You do if you need an ID that costs money to acquire in order to vote.
    You need that to prove your eligibility, not to vote.

  2. #32
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,725

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    No you don't. You obtain the ID from the DMV. If you don't have a photo ID, you can use yoru birth certificate and a SS card. You get your ID, for free and you're good to go. As I said, if the $25 is truly considered a burden (don't really think it is) to obtain your birth certificate, than offer it for free. Its the quick fix.

    TxDPS - Driver License or ID requirements
    Duh! I already said you could use birth certificate, but the birth certificate costs money. My wife doesn't drive, so to obtain State of Texas photo ID so she could vote, cost her $16.00. That's right here in Houston. So, yes you do. And check out your own link, which does not give prices, or say that it is free. It provides nothing. However, on your own link that you provided, click on the link that says ID card. When there, click on the link that says "Pay the required fee". Original card costs $16.00. If you are 65 or over, it is $6.00. The only exemption to the fees is for disabled veterans in some cases. Everybody else pays.

    When providing a link to prove your point, you should read it carefully before you post it to attempt to support a claim you know nothing about, and is dead wrong, and makes you end up looking silly.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #33
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,725

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    IDs are cheap.There is no reason why someone shouldn't have one.You need an ID to get a job,you need an ID to buy alcohol and tobacco in many places even if you are over 21(some stores do not wish to take the chance of selling those products to minors). Many places you need an ID to use state services and apply for aid. An ID is not a hurdle to someone who is poor.

    The idea that requiring someone to show an id is somehow a poll tax is laughable,even if the individual has to pay for their ID.
    You missed the point. Having to get an ID that costs money in order to vote is the same as a poll tax, and therefore is unconstitutional. Many of the very poor would rather miss voting than miss a few meals. And most of the poor happen to be people of color.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  4. #34
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Duh! I already said you could use birth certificate, but the birth certificate costs money. My wife doesn't drive, so to obtain State of Texas photo ID so she could vote, cost her $16.00. That's right here in Houston. So, yes you do. And check out your own link, which does not give prices, or say that it is free. It provides nothing. However, on your own link that you provided, click on the link that says ID card. When there, click on the link that says "Pay the required fee". Original card costs $16.00. If you are 65 or over, it is $6.00. The only exemption to the fees is for disabled veterans in some cases. Everybody else pays.

    When providing a link to prove your point, you should read it carefully before you post it to attempt to support a claim you know nothing about, and is dead wrong, and makes you end up looking silly.
    Oh, I was commenting as if you actually read the law. I assumed you did as you're speaking with such conviction on it. Apparently, you haven't. And I linked because you said you needed photo ID to get a state ID....which you don't.

    (d) The department may not collect a fee for a personal
    identification certificate issued to a person who states that the
    person is obtaining the personal identification certificate for the
    purpose of satisfying Section 63.001(b), Election Code,
    82(R) SB 14 - Engrossed version - Bill Text

    They amended the Transportation code that set the fees for ID and added that it would be free for the purpose of voting. DUH!!!!

  5. #35
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    You missed the point. Having to get an ID that costs money in order to vote is the same as a poll tax, and therefore is unconstitutional. Many of the very poor would rather miss voting than miss a few meals. And most of the poor happen to be people of color.
    My mother raised five kids,occasionally on wic, welfare and food stamps and worked minimum wage jobs and she was still able to afford a driver's license and renew it every time it was close to expiring. Besides that you need ID to get a job, buy booze and smokes if you are under a certain age and many stores instituted policies that if you don't look 30-40 years of age that you must show an ID, to get tax payer funded services and so on. The idea a poor person can't afford ID is laughable.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #36
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,036

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    If you are such a trainwreck that you don't have the initiative or capability to get picture ID, then I'm guessing you don't have the mental capacity to read and understand the damn ballot anyway. Democrats have made a killing on this reality.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,713

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    If you are such a trainwreck that you don't have the initiative or capability to get picture ID, then I'm guessing you don't have the mental capacity to read and understand the damn ballot anyway. Democrats have made a killing on this reality.
    Show me the exact text in the Constitution where a US citizen can be denied the right to vote simply because he or she is illiterate or is below a certain level of intelligence.

    Besides, if doing that were legal, Republicans wouldn't stand a dog's chance in hell of ever being elected.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  8. #38
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I agree with your #2. I have no problem with that. I think having voter identification is very important. If someone doesn't have a State I.D., they should be able to go to the Secretary of State's office, and the Secretary of State's office should obtain all necessary documents. I think that's fair.

    Your personal experience reminds me of the hassle it can be to get required documents. Most people wouldn't have to go through this, as most people have driver's licenses or state i.d.'s already. But for those who don't? We should help them get it.
    Yes, we should. Funny how the very state legislatures implementing these laws are actually making it harder to get those documents.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    You need that to prove your eligibility, not to vote.
    It's the same thing. It's a poll tax, and supporting a poll tax means you're against the US constitution! Why do you hate the constitution?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #39
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    It's the same thing. It's a poll tax, and supporting a poll tax means you're against the US constitution! Why do you hate the constitution?
    No its not. Its asking to prove eligibility. To prove eligibility you need identification to ensure you are in fact, eligible. Its not an unreasonable request. Most of the state's that have enacted these laws have offered a free ID. Funny, the old lady they paraded out for the PA lawsuit went down got her ID the day after she testified.

    Lets not forget. You need ID to claim Medicare benfits, enroll in Medicaid, apply for SNAP (food stamps), apply for TANF (welfare), and just about any other type of freebie out there.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •