Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

  1. #21
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I agree with this, and here is why:

    1) A while back, I lost my driver's license, and had to get another one. In order to do so, I had to obtain my birth certificate, which cost me $25.00. Then my replacement license was another 10 bucks. If you don't have photo ID to begin with, then the cost is $16.00, which makes for a total of $41.00. OK, not that much money to me, but for someone who is poor, that is a barrier that he or she might not be able to hurdle. In essense, this amounts to a poll tax, which is a form of voter suppression.

    2) Is photo ID a good idea? Yes, I think so. All Texas has to do is to make sure that the photo ID, as well as ALL underlying documents required to obtain it, is free of charge. Then there is nothing equivalent to a poll tax in the law, and the law would be constitutional.

    Article is here.
    I agree with your #2. I have no problem with that. I think having voter identification is very important. If someone doesn't have a State I.D., they should be able to go to the Secretary of State's office, and the Secretary of State's office should obtain all necessary documents. I think that's fair.

    Your personal experience reminds me of the hassle it can be to get required documents. Most people wouldn't have to go through this, as most people have driver's licenses or state i.d.'s already. But for those who don't? We should help them get it.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #22
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    SS cards are free. I just did mine 6 months ago.

    So now we're getting into transportation too? Sorry, thats just a rediculous friggin argument. They get to work, don't they? No one can give them a lift? Instead of spending milllions of dollars fighting these voter ID laws by various voter advocate groups, why not provide transportation to those that need to get to the DMV to get an idea? Why aren't these people advocating helping them comply with the law instead of opening up the possiblity that voter fraud can easily occur.
    I got a SS card about two years ago. It wasn't free.

    I don't know, why don't we include transportation and free access to these IDs in the voter ID laws? The answer is probably because the laws aren't aimed at ensuring accuracy in voting, but rather just at preventing certain demographics (which statistically tend to vote D) from voting.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    I got a SS card about two years ago. It wasn't free.

    I don't know, why don't we include transportation and free access to these IDs in the voter ID laws? The answer is probably because the laws aren't aimed at ensuring accuracy in voting, but rather just at preventing certain demographics (which statistically tend to vote D) from voting.
    The logical time to do this kind of thing is right AFTER an election, not right before.

    And i hear a bunch of folks are planning to challenge voters, so your ID and registration better have the same address.

    If you manage to not be scrubbed off the roles because your name resembles a felons.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  4. #24
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,686
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Sorry, I don't think proving you are who you say you are when you show up at the polls is a hardship. Hell, you can't even open a bank account without a photo ID... or cash a welfare check, for those of you ready to say "folks too poor to get a photo ID are too poor to have a bank account." If folks don't have a copy of their birth certificate, they need to get one pronto, especially if they want to vote.

    When I got my first California driver's license, I had to show my birth certificate and IIRC, one other form of identification (could have been SS#). When I registered to vote in California, I had to show my driver's license which was accepted in lieu of a birth certificate only because California law required the certificate BEFORE it issued anyone a driver's license.

    Photo ID is required for just about everything, from cashing checks, to getting on a plane, to being stopped for a traffic ticket. Don't tell me that people should be allowed to vote without proof of citizenship and photo identification is too much trouble. It isn't.

  5. #25
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,075

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I agree with this, and here is why:

    1) A while back, I lost my driver's license, and had to get another one. In order to do so, I had to obtain my birth certificate, which cost me $25.00. Then my replacement license was another 10 bucks. If you don't have photo ID to begin with, then the cost is $16.00, which makes for a total of $41.00. OK, not that much money to me, but for someone who is poor, that is a barrier that he or she might not be able to hurdle. In essense, this amounts to a poll tax, which is a form of voter suppression.

    2) Is photo ID a good idea? Yes, I think so. All Texas has to do is to make sure that the photo ID, as well as ALL underlying documents required to obtain it, is free of charge. Then there is nothing equivalent to a poll tax in the law, and the law would be constitutional.

    Article is here.
    IDs are cheap.There is no reason why someone shouldn't have one.You need an ID to get a job,you need an ID to buy alcohol and tobacco in many places even if you are over 21(some stores do not wish to take the chance of selling those products to minors). Many places you need an ID to use state services and apply for aid. An ID is not a hurdle to someone who is poor.

    The idea that requiring someone to show an id is somehow a poll tax is laughable,even if the individual has to pay for their ID.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #26
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    I got a SS card about two years ago. It wasn't free.

    I don't know, why don't we include transportation and free access to these IDs in the voter ID laws? The answer is probably because the laws aren't aimed at ensuring accuracy in voting, but rather just at preventing certain demographics (which statistically tend to vote D) from voting.
    Well, you must have bought a fake one!!! j/k

    Its free man. Social Security Publications

    Why should transportation be free? So basically, there should be no responsibility of the voter to ensure their personal paperwork is in order to vote? Thats BS. I vote absentee every year. Every year, well before the election, I ensure everything is in order.

  7. #27
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Hopefully we can expect this kind of ruling in other states that are perusing these kinds of laws.


  8. #28
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    Well, you must have bought a fake one!!! j/k

    Its free man. Social Security Publications

    Why should transportation be free? So basically, there should be no responsibility of the voter to ensure their personal paperwork is in order to vote? Thats BS. I vote absentee every year. Every year, well before the election, I ensure everything is in order.
    It's not about responsibility. It's about cost. Voting cannot require paying any money. It can require effort. It can require responsibility. But it can't require money.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  9. #29
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    It's not about responsibility. It's about cost. Voting cannot require paying any money. It can require effort. It can require responsibility. But it can't require money.
    You don't have to pay any money to vote.

  10. #30
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    You don't have to pay any money to vote.
    You do if you need an ID that costs money to acquire in order to vote.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •