Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 228

Thread: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

  1. #71
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleAye View Post
    I don't think hybrids are ultimately the answer, but they are an important transitional technology. It has the effect of slowly getting consumers used to the idea. Ultimately, I think straight up electric is the answer. But as it stands now, they cost too much, have limited range, and the infrastructure is building but needs more development. So hybrids are handy for the time being because they function as a showcase for an emerging technology. Hybrids probably are a fad that will fade with time. If all goes well, a transition to strictly electric will follow. At the point, energy consumed in the US will be strictly American energy production insuring American jobs. For this too happen, emerging technology will be expensive as all are at the outset. But without people buying the existing technology, there is no push for independent manufacturers to develop the technology to make it better. Auto makers will do far more than a government research lab to develop electric vehicles, so it's important that the hybrid and EV market be supported as much as possible. If people buy the cars, the cars will get better, and they will get cheaper too.
    I dont know what the answer is...and after I read and posted the article in economics because I didnt know where else to put it..lol...about 54.5 mile per gallon standard by 2016 and thats for gas cars...WOW...I think lahood is using fuzzy math for a variety of reasons



    Feds roll out details of 54.5 mpg standard

  2. #72
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,751

    Re: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Are you saying that you believe that oil is an infinite product?
    It certainly isn't, but far too many automakers are putting all their time and energy into an inferior product that is, at best, a stopgap measure, instead of finding an actually superior replacement for gas-burning engines.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #73
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    A compromise to what, 100% electric?
    Primarily, yes.

    Have you driven ALL hybrids to say so? Did you know ford makes a hybrid Explorer, that looks, and drives, the same as a reg explorer?
    I've driven the Prius, the Civic hybrid, and the Ford Escape hybrid. The Prius is just a giant piece of **** that I can't condemn enough. The hybrid models of the Civic and Escape drive considerably worse than the vehicles they were derived from, while offering a negligible boost in mpg. The hybrid version of my truck adds a whopping 3 extra miles per gallon.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm not a gung ho hybrid fan. I still see issues with them, from an environmental standpoint, and from a utilitarian. But sometimes, in order to get to the next step, you gotta build one between the one you're on, and the one you wanna get to.
    The goal is renewable energy, and honestly, there are better options than electric.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  4. #74
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    It certainly isn't, but far too many automakers are putting all their time and energy into an inferior product that is, at best, a stopgap measure, instead of finding an actually superior replacement for gas-burning engines.
    Actually, I have a theory on that...


    I think that they AREN'T putting much effort into hybrid, which is WHY they tend to suck. I think ALL the major companies are busy, in underground bunker style R and D labs, trying to make either hydrogen, or better all electric cars.

    I think hybrids are here just to shut us up, so to speak.

    Look up some of the stranger concepts released by GM over the last 20 years or so, and you'll see what I mean. They best minds are NOT focused on hybrids, I truly believe that.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  5. #75
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    Primarily, yes.


    I've driven the Prius, the Civic hybrid, and the Ford Escape hybrid. The Prius is just a giant piece of **** that I can't condemn enough. The hybrid models of the Civic and Escape drive considerably worse than the vehicles they were derived from, while offering a negligible boost in mpg. The hybrid version of my truck adds a whopping 3 extra miles per gallon.
    Try the Highlander Hybrid. It's actually faster than the V6 gas-only version, gets 10 mpg better in the city in about 5 mpg better on the highway. We've had one for six years and it's an excellent vehicle.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  6. #76
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,751

    Re: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Actually, I have a theory on that...


    I think that they AREN'T putting much effort into hybrid, which is WHY they tend to suck. I think ALL the major companies are busy, in underground bunker style R and D labs, trying to make either hydrogen, or better all electric cars.

    I think hybrids are here just to shut us up, so to speak.

    Look up some of the stranger concepts released by GM over the last 20 years or so, and you'll see what I mean. They best minds are NOT focused on hybrids, I truly believe that.
    I'd love to think you're right, I just don't think so. The hybrids were initially introduced as a means to show the government that the carmakers were trying to meet increased efficiency standards. The first hybrids failed miserably in the marketplace, it wasn't until Hollywood and the liberal left took up the cause and started driving Prius that hybrids had any traction whatsoever, and as studies show, most people who buy a hybrid, unless they're a complete liberal enviro-nut, don't buy another one. The reason is, these cars just don't live up to the hype. They only get that mileage by stripping the car down to the bare bones, everything you put on the car reduces mileage and every pound you pack into it reduces efficiency. When people don't get 50mpg because they don't weigh 28lbs and want to take passengers or equipment, or want to have air conditioning, etc., they realize that a hybrid is just an overpriced status symbol, it doesn't actually get them anything.

    The problem with technologies like hydrogen is that you have a massive industry with tons of money and political connections that is entrenched in keeping oil in production. Sure, in a perfect world, you could convert all gas stations over to hydrogen stations, but the gas industry doesn't make any money off of that. It's politics that has killed any non-gas innovations.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #77
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    I dont know what the answer is...and after I read and posted the article in economics because I didnt know where else to put it..lol...about 54.5 mile per gallon standard by 2016 and thats for gas cars...WOW...I think lahood is using fuzzy math for a variety of reasons



    Feds roll out details of 54.5 mpg standard
    No doubt the math is funny. What will end up happening is you will have a bunch of economy cars no one wants sitting in lots and more pricey performers and larger vehicles.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #78
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    No doubt the math is funny. What will end up happening is you will have a bunch of economy cars no one wants sitting in lots and more pricey performers and larger vehicles.
    First of all if you drive 2-5 k miles a year like many older americans do...you will never get your 1800 back and its going to be alot more than 1800 per car average

  9. #79
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    First of all if you drive 2-5 k miles a year like many older americans do...you will never get your 1800 back and its going to be alot more than 1800 per car average
    Yep, you are right here. The only way those numbers work are under constant driving scenarios such as traveling jobs and outside sales, delivery etc. Even then that wear and tear has a point where vehicles will have to be replaced sooner than the daily commuter vehicles and grocery getters so even then heavy travel sees no benefit. I don't think Lahood realizes that the physics and economics of these regulations don't work, unfortunately that man cannot be replaced by a simple vote and it will require an administration shift and new legislation.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #80
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,968
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

    Personally, I LIKE economy cars. They're simple, and easy to fix, usually.

    They have small motors that generate little torque, which results in them being longer lasting. Less power = less breakage. (Unless it's an Alfa Romeo) I like that they have non electronic everything. Electric windows? Just something to break on you, by time you reach 150K miles. Crank windows don't break...and IF they do, they are cheap and easy to fix. Just gears. No electric motor, no wiring, no fuses, nothing. Anti lock breaks? Hate em. Learn to drive your car. Automatic tranny? Where's the fun in that. Give me a snappy five speed, and even a Fit is a blast to drive.

    I keep going back to it, because, frankly, it was one of the BEST cars I have ever owned, bar non. My old Civic HX. Got GREAT gas mileage, never broke down, never gave me ANY problems, and the few I DID have, were relatively easy to fix. I probably should not have sold it, but I needed something with 4 doors, instead of 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •