Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
Results 221 to 228 of 228

Thread: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

  1. #221
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,360

    Re: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    In the German system, the hydrocarbons must come from somewhere, most probably from waste.
    The Germans are creating the hydrocarbons our of air and water. (with energy thrown in)
    Split the water to make hydrogen, capture the carbon from atmospheric Co2.
    Not real efficient, but energy once stored this way is good for almost forever.
    If the energy used, was going to waste, I am not sure the efficiency matters that much.
    Compared to batteries, Hydrocarbon storage is decades ahead.
    if the storage method was carbon neutral, it may help sell the idea to the AGW crowd.
    Once you can make methane, you can make almost any hydrocarbon, Gasoline, Diesel, Jet Fuel, ect..
    So the answer to the question about what we do when we run out of oil, simple we make more!

  2. #222
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,771

    Re: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Actually, hydrocarbons have the best storage of all,. You just leave it where it lays until you need it and then pump it out. It has been there for millions of years and is not going anywhere soon.
    That is simply false. Peak oil is coming, very, very soon. The only fossil fuel that we have an ample supply for at least the next couple of centuries is coal.

    Peak oil, BTW, is the primary reason I am strongly opposed to expanding our drilling. Wait to do that until oil is in much shorter supply, not when we have a decent amount of it to consume. Besides, if we did that, that oil would be worth a lot more then than now, meaning that sitting on those reserves would be one heck of an economic investment.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  3. #223
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-14 @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Natural gas is not a bad idea for the short run. It is by far the cleanest of all fossil fuels, and thanks to fracking, it's become a lot cheaper to extract. I have some serious concerns about some of the chemicals used for fracking, however; if they'd clean that up, I'd be a lot more for it.

    Coal is becoming a white elephant (or should I say, a black elephant). It was a superb resource that was singlehandedly responsible for the industrial revolution. However, coal carries a great number of unintended consequences, so we must wean ourselves off of coal if those unintended consequences are not to become more dire.

    And let's not forget that fossil fuels are receiving federal subsidies too, far more than renewable energy is.
    If the anti-pollution scare stories had any validity, the human race would have gone extinct around 1925. Pollution is like spitting in the ocean--don't be surprised if the econazis start arresting people for that! In fact, natural air is far more toxic; it's full of bacteria and viruses that pollution kills a lot more than it harms humans. Natural plagues from pollution-free air have been the greatest killer of all time. There haven't been any mass-murderers surviving in our air since we disinfected it with antiseptic pollution.
    On the outside, trickling down on the insiders.
    We won't live free until the 1% live in fear.
    Hey, richboys! Imagine the boot of democracy stomping on your faces, forever.

  4. #224
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,771

    Re: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by PrometheusBound View Post
    If the anti-pollution scare stories had any validity, the human race would have gone extinct around 1925. Pollution is like spitting in the ocean--don't be surprised if the econazis start arresting people for that! In fact, natural air is far more toxic; it's full of bacteria and viruses that pollution kills a lot more than it harms humans. Natural plagues from pollution-free air have been the greatest killer of all time. There haven't been any mass-murderers surviving in our air since we disinfected it with antiseptic pollution.
    Holy crap, man. There is a LOT of science fail in that post.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  5. #225
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-14 @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

    [QUOTE=EagleAye;1060856036] Oil has 100 years advantage of development time and during that time it's only competition was the horse. No real competition, in other words. Manufacturers for the various oil equipment have been operating full swing for 100 years with a guaranteed market. Alternative energies are only gaining traction for the last ten years with severe competition (not just the horse in this case) from oil, and a market uncertain about changing over. So eliminating subsidies and then testing
    I want to make enough energy to power 100 cars for one year. Let's assume the cars for both gas and electric are already ready, but absolutely nothing else.

    Instead of assuming things in order to excuse market failure, let's go back to the actual competition between horses and cars. Back then, cars had it far worse than the pity party you throw for the alt-fuel cult. No gas stations, pipelines, paved roads, mechanics, etc. Yet it didn't take them decades just to establish a fringe niche in the transportation industry. They took it by storm, quickly convincing everybody that they would monopolize it in the very near future. All without the government subsidies you claim they got and demand for the alts. Any roads that were built were because of overwhelming public demand, not because of cultist special interests.
    On the outside, trickling down on the insiders.
    We won't live free until the 1% live in fear.
    Hey, richboys! Imagine the boot of democracy stomping on your faces, forever.

  6. #226
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,344

    Re: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    That is simply false. Peak oil is coming, very, very soon. The only fossil fuel that we have an ample supply for at least the next couple of centuries is coal.

    Peak oil, BTW, is the primary reason I am strongly opposed to expanding our drilling. Wait to do that until oil is in much shorter supply, not when we have a decent amount of it to consume. Besides, if we did that, that oil would be worth a lot more then than now, meaning that sitting on those reserves would be one heck of an economic investment.
    According to most estimates, the US is sitting on somewhere between 500 and a thousand years of natural gas supply. As oil extraction methods improve, usable reserves get larger.

    I would not dispute that at some point, a new energy source may need to be found, but it is certainly not an emergency situation.

    I have thought some about the argument that we should be using up the world's reserves and saving ours to a point that the US would control the supply side market and dictate the price. The flaw in that system is that it presumes that oil is finite product that does not compete with other energy sources. Oil competes with other energy sources, and other energy sources compete with oil. We can't even explain some of the energy sources we believe to exist in the universe, let alone know how to utilize them. We cannot even explain how oil got from dead prehistoric animals to 10,000 feet below the surface.

  7. #227
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-14 @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    That is simply false. Peak oil is coming, very, very soon. The only fossil fuel that we have an ample supply for at least the next couple of centuries is coal.

    Peak oil, BTW, is the primary reason I am strongly opposed to expanding our drilling. Wait to do that until oil is in much shorter supply, not when we have a decent amount of it to consume. Besides, if we did that, that oil would be worth a lot more then than now, meaning that sitting on those reserves would be one heck of an economic investment.
    The peak oil myth has been around for 130 years. Rockefeller was advised to be cautious about petroleum's future back in 1880. In 1900, the myth was that there was no oil in Texas; the only oil was under where it had leaked to the surface. In 1920, no oil in Saudi Arabia! In 1940, offshore oil, if any existed, was impossible to recover. Before our time, this was just because of geological ignorance. That still holds, but an added reason is that if the oil barons can create scarcity myths, they can magnify their profit margins. Decrease in production because of planted myths about scarcity is known as hoarding.
    On the outside, trickling down on the insiders.
    We won't live free until the 1% live in fear.
    Hey, richboys! Imagine the boot of democracy stomping on your faces, forever.

  8. #228
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-14 @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,824

    Re: GM Suspending Chevy Volt Output Due To Slow Sales

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Holy crap, man. There is a LOT of science fail in that post.
    Who tells you that? The self-serving politically correct scientists themselves cook up these anti-growth dogmas. Historically speaking, if we compare ourselves with other decadent civilizations, these econazis are nothing but an intolerant religious cult.
    On the outside, trickling down on the insiders.
    We won't live free until the 1% live in fear.
    Hey, richboys! Imagine the boot of democracy stomping on your faces, forever.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •