Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: Mexican Drug Cartels Fight Turf Battles In Chicago

  1. #21
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Mexican Drug Cartels Fight Turf Battles In Chicago

    Make drugs legal. What about that 10,000% profit margin?

    Profits are what makes america (and chicago) great. You can't make a profit omelet without breaking some eggs.



    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Make drugs legal...and 95+% of the drug violence ends (imo).

  2. #22
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    05-16-15 @ 02:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,537

    Re: Mexican Drug Cartels Fight Turf Battles In Chicago

    why did over-his-head obama promote to secretary of education that dismal failure from the chicago schools, arne duncan, who couldn't even get the kids to and from class alive

    Murder rate jumps in 2008 | abc7chicago.com

    out-of-his-element obama at a big shoulders fundraiser two weeks ago---an example of what makes america great

    don't eat fried chicken

    if you won't abstain for ellen, do it for michelle

  3. #23
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Mexican Drug Cartels Fight Turf Battles In Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    And there's a reason all they ever do is threaten, because it's an empty threat.
    And yet it's a threat that keeps local and state officials from assert the desires of their constituency to legalize recreational drugs.



    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    That truism is no argument for or against legalization. Historically people will committ many different actions whether legal or not. Doesn't mean we want to legalize say, murder.
    Except that murder is the infringement of one's right to life on another. The use of recreational drugs is no infringement on the rights of another person, and people can make the free choice to determine whether they themselves choose to use recreational drugs or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    And children are going hungry, and the roads need better paving. Just because other things need doing doesn't mean we can do nothing until everything can be done simulaneously. And yes, they ARE an "adverse part of society" and we do not wish to make that part grow. Addicts by their very addicition aren't "getting high every so often", and it's not recreational with them anymore, it's necessity. This is addiction we're talking about.
    No, this is gang violence we're talking about, as gang kill each other and innocent bystanders in order to control the recreational drug trade because only gangs will deal in that market.

    And it's also prison violence we're talking about, as users of recreational drugs that are arrested and convicted are at the mercy of prisoners guilty of harsher crimes.

    And it's also social welfare we're talking about, as recreational drug users who are convicted now have a felony on their records, and many of the biggest corporations flatly refuse to higher anyone guilty of any felony. Which means that ex-convicts with a drug conviction have trouble getting hired, which means they can't make their own way in life. Which is why they resort to crime to make ends meet, and may go back to using drugs in order to cope with the stresses they deal with.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  4. #24
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Mexican Drug Cartels Fight Turf Battles In Chicago

    And once again, addicts are not recreational users and many of those drugs that are schedule 1 are physically addictive. We are not talking about pot here which was made illegal for wholly different reasons than the other schedule 1 drugs. Addicts DO have an adverse effect upon the society around them. And you can't duck the fact that when these drugs were uncontrolled they addicted a good portion of our nation.

    I'm fine with talk (followed by action) of changing the sentencing and increasing availability of rehab for those who cannot afford it themselves. But legalize crack, meth? No way is that a positive change.

  5. #25
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Mexican Drug Cartels Fight Turf Battles In Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    And once again, addicts are not recreational users and many of those drugs that are schedule 1 are physically addictive. We are not talking about pot here which was made illegal for wholly different reasons than the other schedule 1 drugs. Addicts DO have an adverse effect upon the society around them. And you can't duck the fact that when these drugs were uncontrolled they addicted a good portion of our nation.

    I'm fine with talk (followed by action) of changing the sentencing and increasing availability of rehab for those who cannot afford it themselves. But legalize crack, meth? No way is that a positive change.
    Tobacco has a bigger adverse affect on people than illegal drugs do, and nicotine in cigarettes is more addictive than heroin, but cigarettes remain legal.

    Likewise, use of sugars in processed foods has a bigger adverse affect on people than illegal drugs do, as our society is becoming more obese and cases of diabetes rise which is a strain on the cost of health care. But use of sugar in processed foods is addictive but remains unregulated.

    Caffeine is an addictive substance, but we do not regulate how much sodas children drink, even though sodas have other deleterious health affects when consumed in large amounts.

    So if we're going to go after all addictive substances then let's go after all the addictive substances.

    Otherwise, legalize them all, educate people on the effects of recreational drugs, and leave them alone to live their lives as they see fit.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  6. #26
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Mexican Drug Cartels Fight Turf Battles In Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Tobacco has a bigger adverse affect on people than illegal drugs do, and nicotine in cigarettes is more addictive than heroin, but cigarettes remain legal.

    Likewise, use of sugars in processed foods has a bigger adverse affect on people than illegal drugs do, as our society is becoming more obese and cases of diabetes rise which is a strain on the cost of health care. But use of sugar in processed foods is addictive but remains unregulated.

    Caffeine is an addictive substance, but we do not regulate how much sodas children drink, even though sodas have other deleterious health affects when consumed in large amounts.

    So if we're going to go after all addictive substances then let's go after all the addictive substances.

    Otherwise, legalize them all, educate people on the effects of recreational drugs, and leave them alone to live their lives as they see fit.
    That's just nonsense. Nothing you listed has near the harmful effects as crack or meth. Tobacco is indeed a harmful drug, but, like alcohol, for good or bad, it's written in to our society from the beginning. Not so with the schedule 1 drugs. And again, there's a large difference between the drugs you mention and schedule 1 drugs, both in their level and strength of addicition and the effects of abuse and addiction.

    It's not an all or nothing thing, that's just the method that suits your argument. With the drugs you mention, they can be used in moderation with little to no health impact (in fact just the opposite). If you use crack or meth even moderate use is devastating to your health and addiction is inevitable.

  7. #27
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Mexican Drug Cartels Fight Turf Battles In Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    That's just nonsense. Nothing you listed has near the harmful effects as crack or meth. Tobacco is indeed a harmful drug, but, like alcohol, for good or bad, it's written in to our society from the beginning. Not so with the schedule 1 drugs. And again, there's a large difference between the drugs you mention and schedule 1 drugs, both in their level and strength of addicition and the effects of abuse and addiction.
    Peyote, mushrooms, and other hallucinogenics have been part of human society just as long as tobacco and alcohol. So has marijuana and the use of coca leaves. And those societies did not fall because such natural drugs were used for recreation by their people.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    It's not an all or nothing thing, that's just the method that suits your argument. With the drugs you mention, they can be used in moderation with little to no health impact (in fact just the opposite). If you use crack or meth even moderate use is devastating to your health and addiction is inevitable.
    Except addiction to nicotine in tobacco is devastating as it leads to oral and lung cancers in not just people but those who take in the second-hand smoke.

    And recent science has evidence that sugars is addictive as well, and the consumption of those foods is what's leading to the high obesity and diabetes rates. And those conditions are devastating to people's health as well.

    And yet there's no calls to criminalize or even regulating those addictive substances.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  8. #28
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,022

    Re: Mexican Drug Cartels Fight Turf Battles In Chicago

    Drug violance would be reduced if people would quit using illegal drugs like coke, crack, etc. I know a case can be made for "pot" and its use. I cannot understand how people will destroy their lives by using some of the destructive drugs. I will say the same for those that are alcholics.

    Our use of illegal drugs in this country is a sad statement about what we are becoming.

  9. #29
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,692

    Re: Mexican Drug Cartels Fight Turf Battles In Chicago

    "Make drugs legal" is a simple minded commentary and solution to the problem. What...do you honest to God believe that gangs and violent thug types will suddenly stop being scumbags and perpetrating acts of violence? You think they will simply shrug and go to 'honest work' should drugs become legalized???

  10. #30
    Advisor Another Lurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Uncle Joe's state
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    319

    Re: Mexican Drug Cartels Fight Turf Battles In Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Besides, if you're going to get onto Rahm Emanuel for wasting time on talking about Chik-Fil-A's executives lobbying to prevent gay marriage, the GOP's platform is demanding a constitutional amendment to criminalize all abortions rather than come up with effective methods of dealing with the Mexican drug cartels.
    You have obfuscation down to a science. I notice that you have FAILED to say anything about Emmanuel's silence on this issue.

    See if you can comment on that.

    A L

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •