Page 1 of 103 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1026

Thread: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

  1. #1
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants | Work + Money - Yahoo! Shine

    A Texas teenager is suing Burger King forreligious discrimination, saying that the fast food giant fired her, a conservative Christian, for wearing a long skirt, rather than uniform pants, to work.

    Related: Fast food employees dish about items you should never order

    Ashanti McShan was a 17-year-old high school senior when she applied for a job as a cashier at the Grand Prairie Burger King in August 2010,according to the lawsuit filed on her behalf this week by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. During her interview McShan, who is a Pentacostal Christian, said that her religious beliefs forbid women to wear men's clothing, so she would need to be able to wear a long black skirt rather than the standard-issue uniform pants. The Burger King employee interviewing her "assured her that she could wear a skirt to work," the lawsuit says.
    That the Equal Employment Opportunity is backing her is ridiculous.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #2
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    I agree, but just for the sake of equality would you feel similarly if it was a Jew seeking to wear a yarmulke or a Muslim woman asking to wear a hijab?

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Many Pentecostals believe it to be a VERY grevious offense against God for a women to wear pants, regardless of the reason why.

    They should accomodate her on this. It's not a big deal for them, but it is huge to her.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Many Pentecostals believe it to be a VERY grevious offense against God for a women to wear pants, regardless of the reason why.

    They should accomodate her on this. It's not a big deal for them, but it is huge to her.
    I have family that are like this, it's rather annoying.

    But this isn't any different than a muslim working wanting to wear a hijab, there's no reason she should have been fired over this.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I have family that are like this, it's rather annoying.
    .
    Yeah, I think they're overreacting and misinterpreting myself... but it's what they believe and it is very important to them.

    It would be VERY little, if ANY, skin off BK's nose to just let her wear the skirt.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #6
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    I agree, but just for the sake of equality would you feel similarly if it was a Jew seeking to wear a yarmulke or a Muslim woman asking to wear a hijab?
    I am - not - religious. I don't honestly give two ****s what religion it is. Burger King has rules for its employees. She doesn't have to work there if she doesn't like their rules.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #7
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post

    That the Equal Employment Opportunity is backing her is ridiculous.
    Why?...........
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  8. #8
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I don't think it's ridiculous. Unless they have a dress code? They're interfering with her religious freedom. What? A liberal on the other end of a "freedom" argument?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I am - not - religious. I don't honestly give two ****s what religion it is. Burger King has rules for its employees. She doesn't have to work there if she doesn't like their rules.

    Fine. What if the rule was you have to shave your head? Or wear a company-issue jock strap that you share with other employees on different shifts (Disney issue once...)?

    The employer is not always right. Businesses that employ workers are a cooperative effort; the employer has to have labor, the laborer has to have a job. Neither can make a penny without the other.

    A little minor accomodation isn't much to ask.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #10
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I don't think it's ridiculous. Unless they have a dress code? They're interfering with her religious freedom. What? A liberal on the other end of a "freedom" argument?
    What other end of the freedom argument? She has the freedom not to work at Burger King and Burger King has the freedom to not employ her if she doesn't want to abide by their dress code. Which they do have like every other chain out there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Fine. What if the rule was you have to shave your head? Or wear a company-issue jock strap that you share with other employees on different shifts (Disney issue once...)?

    The employer is not always right. Businesses that employ workers are a cooperative effort; the employer has to have labor, the laborer has to have a job. Neither can make a penny without the other.

    A little minor accomodation isn't much to ask.
    What if - what if - what if. The rules I'm dealing with are the ones that exist. They are the same for everyone who wants to work for Burger King.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 1 of 103 1231151101 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •