Page 68 of 103 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 671 to 680 of 1026

Thread: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

  1. #671
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Yop
    Last Seen
    06-27-16 @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,366

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Are Rastafarians entitled to smoke weed at work? As part of the requirement of their faith, of course.
    I am not but if I get caught I will plead faith, thanks.

  2. #672
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    If businesses were not FORCED to submit to other people's displays of their religion, then we wouldn't even be talking about this right now. There are pants that are MADE for women. They are made specifically to fit a woman's body. Therefore, this girl is the one being unreasonable when she could easily wear women's pants which are NOT men's clothes, regardless. Nobody is picking on her, nobody is singling her out, nobody is making fun of her religion, and IMO those are the times when "freedom of religion" is being attacked, not because someone says you have to wear pants to work. This is just so stupid, and I am so sick and tired of these frivolous lawsuits. It's just disgusting.

  3. #673
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    If businesses were not FORCED to submit to other people's displays of their religion, then we wouldn't even be talking about this right now. There are pants that are MADE for women. They are made specifically to fit a woman's body. Therefore, this girl is the one being unreasonable when she could easily wear women's pants which are NOT men's clothes, regardless.
    Pants "made for women" isn't the issue. I don't know if you are familiar with, or know any Pentecostals, but they are one of the more fundamentalist brands of Christians, even more so than fundamental Baptists, which was the type I was raised in. They don't care if it's pants made for women, or pants made to fit men. The issue isn't the fit, but that they believe women wearing pants of any kind equates to women wearing men's clothing. They don't wear makeup, they don't cut their hair, and they wear loose-fitting plain dresses or skirts, which are very long, with (typically) flats for shoes. They are generally very modest and pleasant women to deal with in my experience. The issue here, is whether or not BK was being unduly harmed by allowing this girl to wear a long skirt, rather than pants. According to the job description given (cashier), I can see no reason that a long skirt would be a liability or safety concern for BK.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #674
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,886
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    If businesses were not FORCED to submit to other people's displays of their religion, then we wouldn't even be talking about this right now. There are pants that are MADE for women. They are made specifically to fit a woman's body. Therefore, this girl is the one being unreasonable when she could easily wear women's pants which are NOT men's clothes, regardless. Nobody is picking on her, nobody is singling her out, nobody is making fun of her religion, and IMO those are the times when "freedom of religion" is being attacked, not because someone says you have to wear pants to work. This is just so stupid, and I am so sick and tired of these frivolous lawsuits. It's just disgusting.
    This is a good point. Thier religion only says that woman are not suppose to wear mens clothing. AFAIK they do not make any other distinction. So if the clothing is made specifically for the womans body it would BE and IS considered womens clothing. So it appears that it is the woman that is making the distinction, not the religion.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #675
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Pants "made for women" isn't the issue. I don't know if you are familiar with, or know any Pentecostals, but they are one of the more fundamentalist brands of Christians, even more so than fundamental Baptists, which was the type I was raised in. They don't care if it's pants made for women, or pants made to fit men. The issue isn't the fit, but that they believe women wearing pants of any kind equates to women wearing men's clothing. They don't wear makeup, they don't cut their hair, and they wear loose-fitting plain dresses or skirts, which are very long, with (typically) flats for shoes. They are generally very modest and pleasant women to deal with in my experience. The issue here, is whether or not BK was being unduly harmed by allowing this girl to wear a long skirt, rather than pants. According to the job description given (cashier), I can see no reason that a long skirt would be a liability or safety concern for BK.
    People who work at places like BK are rotated. They never have just a "cashier" position. Employees are expected to do multiple duties in a place like BK, like work the drive-through, prepare orders, work the cash register, etc. I've never worked there personally, but I've had a lot of friends who have. I still think that BK could work the angle of employee safety because of the fact that a skirt CAN be considered a hazard in this type of setting.

  6. #676
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I still think that BK could work the angle of employee safety because of the fact that a skirt CAN be considered a hazard in this type of setting.
    Well, I suppose that is what will be resolved with the lawsuit.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #677
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Well, I suppose that is what will be resolved with the lawsuit.
    Yup, us Americans just LOVE a good lawsuit.

  8. #678
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    11-08-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    33

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    When I was growing up {1930} you could not wear pants to school or to work.And other example of right being wrong and wrong becoming right.As per same sex marring.

  9. #679
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Should businesses be required to accommodate ALL religions? If you say yes then that includes the church of body modification.
    Church of Body Modification

    Church-Of-Body-Modification.jpg
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  10. #680
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    Should businesses be required to accommodate ALL religions? If you say yes then that includes the church of body modification.
    Church of Body Modification

    Church-Of-Body-Modification.jpg
    Yes, that's just like wearing a long skirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



Page 68 of 103 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •