Page 36 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 1026

Thread: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

  1. #351
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    That is an odd thing for a soldier, supposedly in Afghanistan, to say about a free country. You understand your primary role is to protect the rights of the people, yes?
    First, I think he is and I'm pretty sure all the old-timers are convinced. Second, trying to use that against him in a political debate is pretty crappy.

    Explain to me why I as an employer, must allow every backwards-ass religion to set the standards for my private business or go elsewhere.
    Because it's his stuff, not mine. Private property and people can gtfo.

    That is probably the most un-American, anti-liberty statement a person could make.
    I disagree. I think the owner should be allowed to have the restaurant however they want. The world (even western) is damn ignorant but not as bad as it was. The market can decide. Hooters can hire only hot chicks as waitresses. Why? Because men are in charge of the rules, not because people understand that private property is just that. What kind of utterly biased crap is that? You can do whatever you want, and discriminate in your hiring practices, as long as we the power like it. The ironic thing is that Hooters, of all places, highlights this philosophical oppression. Every owner should be able to do whatever the heck they want. In the world of the internet, no backwards hatehole is gonna live long. Let's get 'em out in the open.

  2. #352
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    As in another debate, I'm going to point something out: not all private property is entirely private.

    Your home is definitely private property. Your house, your yard, your rules. EVEN SO, if you mistreat an invited guest you may run afoul of the law.

    Most businesses, while private property in a sense, are not in the same category. The employer willfully invites others to come in... employees and customers. He has to have employees and customers to do business; that's what he's there for. So in a sense he has opened his "private property" to the public... or at least that portion of the public that he has invited in to work for him or buy from him.

    At that point, he has responsibilities to his "invited guests". He is responsible for keeping the environment they work in/buy in reasonably safe... no rotten floors for them to fall thru, for instance.

    He is responsible for not abusing them or infringing unreasonably on their rights. When I enter a private business I do not give up the right of self-defense... and I do not give up the right to freedom of religion. Yes, I must not DISRUPT the business in the exercise of my rights, but if I am not disrupting the business then the employer must prove a compelling interest to infringe on my rights.

    Not wearing a skirt in BK is not a compelling reason to violate someone's deeply held beliefs, whether you agree with her or not (I don't).

    If you think someone gives up their rights when they walk into your business as an invited employee or a customer, try forcing your affections on them and see what happens.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #353
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    So in your minds eye once a buisness grows to a certain point they should have to start altering their rules to fit everyones religious views? Why? Do you hold this view just because of the law? Or is there some other reason?
    No not in my mind's eye in the eyes of the law and I have cited the law to you several times already. It is a legal compliance issue that BK must adhere to barring the qualified exemptions for which I have already explained and posted.
    Last edited by Connery; 08-25-12 at 01:16 PM.

  4. #354
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    06-28-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,909

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    So was BK's dress code. Again I ask you, does this girl have no accountability period?

    BK accepted the girl, then rejected the girl. On what basis and where do you wish to hold her accountable?

  5. #355
    Professor
    Penderyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK, Cymru mostly.
    Last Seen
    05-03-17 @ 09:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,618

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Again, that is applied with common sense. There are still safety and cleanliness regulations that have to be followed. Haven't you heard of no shirt, no shoes, no service?
    No. Why are skirts cleaner than trousers or vice-versa? Clothes are seldom as clean as bodies. I don't follow your thinking.

  6. #356
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Again, that is applied with common sense. There are still safety and cleanliness regulations that have to be followed. Haven't you heard of no shirt, no shoes, no service?
    So a skirt is unsafe and unclean now?If anything a skirt is a bit over-dressed for a fast-food job. Customers were more likely to think she was the manager then just a cashier.

  7. #357
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I'm arguing that employers should make reasonable accommodation for religious practices, and you think this is unusual for a US soldier to say?
    That is a slightly different response than the one that drew my comment, but what is and isnt 'reasonable' isnt exactly obvious. Easy for you to say that someone else should be forced to do something, but what about the employers rights? That doesnt seem to enter your calculations.

    If some Amish dude walks in, does an employer have to allow him to wear that silly hat because his religion says so or be in violation of that mans rights? What about the vegetarian who wants a job but refuses to work the meat station. Should an employer be obligated to accommodate? What about the Jehovahs Witness who wants to spread the word to customers and fellow employees? Should an employer be obligated to accommodate this sort of nonsense in some way too?

    What we are talking about here is an incredibly irrational belief that there is a God out there somewhere that somehow gets angry when women wear mens clothing. Again, womens pants are womens clothing. If this woman and her silly religion cant come to terms with that, then there is no reason to impose their irrationality and unreasonableness upon everyone else.



    Interesting that you mention that, because I use a gun while performing that roll and private business owners don't want me carrying a gun, either. I can sport a loaded belt-fed weapon everywhere I go but the shower for an entire year, but as soon as I'm in your precious little hut oh noes I'm a hazard!

    What a total load of bull****! If anything, I should be given some kind of special license to own and carry any kind of fully automatic weapon since I actually have documented structured training and experience with them.

    News-flash: If I had criminal intent I wouldn't need to enter your business at all because your office is within effective range of my AR if not my SpringfieldXD. Your cute little policy won't save you from a damn thing.



    Certainly:
    If you fire an employee just because they have brown eyes, is a woman, or is a Muslim, they are going to win a wrongful-termination claim against you and draw unemployment off of you:


    ******
    If you remove a customer just because they have brown eyes, is a woman, or is a Muslim, you will be cited by the State for braking Public Accommodation codes.

    For example:


    When you open your business to the public, you have to conduct 'fair and equal treatment' to each person who voluntarily walks through your door. You cannot deny access to your business just because a customer is one of these protected classes. You cannot refuse to sell to a customer just because the customer belongs to one of these classes.
    While interesting, none of that addresses anything I wrote.

  8. #358
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    Last Seen
    10-10-12 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I have family that are like this, it's rather annoying.

    But this isn't any different than a muslim working wanting to wear a hijab, there's no reason she should have been fired over this.
    Radical stuff, I'm sure, but maybe private businesses should also have some leeway.

  9. #359
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Don't like it, go to some other country to have your business.
    I'm free to run my company any way I want to.

    My place of business is not your church.

  10. #360
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Christian Woman Fired from Burger King for Wearing Skirt Instead of Pants

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    I'm free to run my company any way I want to.

    My place of business is not your church.

    Sorry bud, but no you aren't. Shall I make a list?

    You have to comply with Equal Opportunity rules in hiring and promotions... one of which addresses religion.
    You have to comply with OSHA safety standards... no sending employees into ammonia leaks without breathing masks, sorry.
    You have to comply with sexual harassment laws... no requiring BJs from employees as a condition of employment.


    Dammit, y'all need to get this one thing through your head...


    "MY EMPLOYEE" is not the same thing as "MY DOG"!



    Hell I wouldn't treat my DOG the way some employers have treated me...
    Last edited by Goshin; 08-25-12 at 01:35 PM.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 36 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •