Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 93

Thread: Middle-class poorer, earned less in 2000s

  1. #1
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Middle-class poorer, earned less in 2000s

    Ryan will fix this malais with the middle class...He will destroy medicare and give Romney a big TAX CUT...because the rich have gotten fabulously richer while pay half the taxs and they deserve more....and thats why im not a republican anymore folks...


    For the first time since at least World War II, middle-class families finished the first decade of the 21st century poorer and with lower incomes than they had 10 years earlier.
    And 85% of those surveyed say that in the 2000s, it was harder than before to maintain a middle-class lifestyle, according to a study out Wednesday by the Pew Research Center for Social and Demographic Trends.
    Median household income dropped nearly $3,500 for a three-person household, to $69,487 a year, the Pew study said. The median household's net worth dropped 28% to $93,150. Incomes have dropped since 2000, while wealth rose modestly early in the decade before gains were wiped out by the recession that began in 2007 recession and the financial crisis sparked in 2008, said Paul Taylor, a Pew executive vice president.



    "That the middle class always enjoys a rising standard of living is part of America's sense of itself, and it has always been true - until now," Taylor said in an interview, describing the 2000s as a "lost decade" for the middle class. "It's been 11 years since the peak in household incomes, and that covers the early part of the decade as well."
    The middle class grew smaller, poorer and more pessimistic during the decade, Pew said after analyzing both its own polling data and a raft of government and private economic reports. The results show even a weakening of Americans' traditional faith that their children will be better off than their parents, Taylor said: 43% of respondents think their children will be richer than they are, down from 51% in 2008.


    Study: Middle-class poorer, earned less in 2000s

  2. #2
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Middle-class poorer, earned less in 2000s

    Middle class is shrinking, wealth disparity is growing, wealth is aggregating into fewer and fewer hands. We are seeing the beginning of the rise of the Aristocracy. But they're all just lazy and not trying, the statistics certainly cannot point to a fundamental change in our system and the closing of economic mobility. No sir! Lazy and not trying, only explanation there could be.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #3
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Middle-class poorer, earned less in 2000s

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Middle class is shrinking, wealth disparity is growing, wealth is aggregating into fewer and fewer hands. We are seeing the beginning of the rise of the Aristocracy. But they're all just lazy and not trying, the statistics certainly cannot point to a fundamental change in our system and the closing of economic mobility. No sir! Lazy and not trying, only explanation there could be.
    if you make more than you spend and you can invest the extra what is going to happen?

    do the people who whine about this alleged problem have any valid solutions other than wanting the government to seize more money from the successful?

  4. #4
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Middle-class poorer, earned less in 2000s

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    if you make more than you spend and you can invest the extra what is going to happen?

    do the people who whine about this alleged problem have any valid solutions other than wanting the government to seize more money from the successful?
    Many spoken of efforts to help. First stop favoring business over working people. Second, take money out of politics so government is less connected to the wealthy. These two alone would be a good start.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #5
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Middle-class poorer, earned less in 2000s

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Ryan will fix this malais with the middle class...He will destroy medicare and give Romney a big TAX CUT...because the rich have gotten fabulously richer while pay half the taxs and they deserve more....and thats why im not a republican anymore folks...


    For the first time since at least World War II, middle-class families finished the first decade of the 21st century poorer and with lower incomes than they had 10 years earlier.
    And 85% of those surveyed say that in the 2000s, it was harder than before to maintain a middle-class lifestyle, according to a study out Wednesday by the Pew Research Center for Social and Demographic Trends.
    Median household income dropped nearly $3,500 for a three-person household, to $69,487 a year, the Pew study said. The median household's net worth dropped 28% to $93,150. Incomes have dropped since 2000, while wealth rose modestly early in the decade before gains were wiped out by the recession that began in 2007 recession and the financial crisis sparked in 2008, said Paul Taylor, a Pew executive vice president.



    "That the middle class always enjoys a rising standard of living is part of America's sense of itself, and it has always been true - until now," Taylor said in an interview, describing the 2000s as a "lost decade" for the middle class. "It's been 11 years since the peak in household incomes, and that covers the early part of the decade as well."
    The middle class grew smaller, poorer and more pessimistic during the decade, Pew said after analyzing both its own polling data and a raft of government and private economic reports. The results show even a weakening of Americans' traditional faith that their children will be better off than their parents, Taylor said: 43% of respondents think their children will be richer than they are, down from 51% in 2008.


    Study: Middle-class poorer, earned less in 2000s


    Trickle down economics worked in reverse of the way it was sold to the voters.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #6
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Middle-class poorer, earned less in 2000s

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    if you make more than you spend and you can invest the extra what is going to happen?

    do the people who whine about this alleged problem have any valid solutions other than wanting the government to seize more money from the successful?

    how about not allowing them to outsource our economy and country for a few bucks....

  7. #7
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Middle-class poorer, earned less in 2000s

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Many spoken of efforts to help. First stop favoring business over working people. Second, take money out of politics so government is less connected to the wealthy. These two alone would be a good start.
    that is vacuous sounding nonsense. what exactly do you mean. what is favoring businesses over "working people" - a catch word for socialism? taking money out-what is that

  8. #8
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Middle-class poorer, earned less in 2000s

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    how about not allowing them to outsource our economy and country for a few bucks....
    so you are saying a company ought to pay 25 dollars per hour for labor and go out of business because the competition pays 5 an hour

    more mindless mantras that sound good and are devoid of reality

    its not my fault that someone can do unskilled labor for half the cost of unskilled US labor

    you seem to think that all we have to do is pay Americans far higher than Indians or Chinese and all will be fine when in reality paying more for the same commodity is going to cause the company to fail

  9. #9
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Middle-class poorer, earned less in 2000s

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Ryan will fix this malais with the middle class...He will destroy medicare and give Romney a big TAX CUT...because the rich have gotten fabulously richer while pay half the taxs and they deserve more....and thats why im not a republican anymore folks...


    For the first time since at least World War II, middle-class families finished the first decade of the 21st century poorer and with lower incomes than they had 10 years earlier.
    And 85% of those surveyed say that in the 2000s, it was harder than before to maintain a middle-class lifestyle, according to a study out Wednesday by the Pew Research Center for Social and Demographic Trends.
    Median household income dropped nearly $3,500 for a three-person household, to $69,487 a year, the Pew study said. The median household's net worth dropped 28% to $93,150. Incomes have dropped since 2000, while wealth rose modestly early in the decade before gains were wiped out by the recession that began in 2007 recession and the financial crisis sparked in 2008, said Paul Taylor, a Pew executive vice president.



    "That the middle class always enjoys a rising standard of living is part of America's sense of itself, and it has always been true - until now," Taylor said in an interview, describing the 2000s as a "lost decade" for the middle class. "It's been 11 years since the peak in household incomes, and that covers the early part of the decade as well."
    The middle class grew smaller, poorer and more pessimistic during the decade, Pew said after analyzing both its own polling data and a raft of government and private economic reports. The results show even a weakening of Americans' traditional faith that their children will be better off than their parents, Taylor said: 43% of respondents think their children will be richer than they are, down from 51% in 2008.


    Study: Middle-class poorer, earned less in 2000s
    Why I have a hard time with these stats is because I'm not sure what's taken into account. For instance, since we've been experiencing heavy immigration, legal and illegal, through our southern border, there should be more people in the lower income ranges, I think. (I don't know this...it's my common sense talking...and could be wrong.) Also, people don't necessarily stay in a class. Lower income moves up to middle income moves up to higher income, ad infinitum. I would think.

    Also, I would point out that the top 10% of earners in this country pay 70% of the taxes. How much more do you want them to pay, by the way?

    Top 10 Percent of Earners Paid 71 Percent of Federal Income Taxes

    Edit: And the reason the middle class lost a median 28% of their net worth is, quite obviously, because of the housing crisis.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #10
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Middle-class poorer, earned less in 2000s

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that is vacuous sounding nonsense. what exactly do you mean. what is favoring businesses over "working people" - a catch word for socialism? taking money out-what is that
    I know you've seen many links over the alst couple of years. And socialism is more your side's worn out catch word tactic, even when your side often ahs no idea what the definition of word actually is.

    You can find some information here:

    American Rights at Work

    AFL-CIO News: Surprise! Congressional Leaders' Tax Bill Favors Business

    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/14/wa...gewanted=print

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •