Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 193

Thread: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

  1. #21
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,914
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    Wouldn't this be a good job opportunity for young people?
    California youth unemployment is over 30%.
    Possibly. The AK canneries make something like that work. Now the canneries paid "well" for the few months you could spend up there in fish guts. I never did it, but I had several friends who did that over the summers.
    Idk that the CA farms pay like the AK canneries though.
    I may be wrong.

  2. #22
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,360

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    No you wont. The cost of moving, both money wise, plus emotionally for you and your family would far far far out weigh the few bucks you might make by moving. Unless you are renting, then chances are you cant sell your home any ways.
    I'll tell you the same I'll tell Wise and Jet: you dont know me. I'm at work now; working my hitch; "on tower"; 350 miles from the house. You must have me mistaken for some lilly livered Libbo that would tatuer sit on the couch and wait for the gubmint to come bail me out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #23
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I'll tell you the same I'll tell Wise and Jet: you dont know me. I'm at work now; working my hitch; "on tower"; 350 miles from the house. You must have me mistaken for some lilly livered Libbo that would tatuer sit on the couch and wait for the gubmint to come bail me out.
    So you would be willing to move yourself, your wife (if you got one) and children (if you have any) several hundred if not thousands of miles away for a minimum wage job? You would be willing to take a loss on your home, and move to an area with higher home prices ... for a minimum wage job, that is seasonal and temporary?
    PeteEU

  4. #24
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    For $9.25 an hour no one on DP would pick up and move their family. Y'all can pack that up each other's butts, but I'm not that damn stupid. Nobody here would do enough work to fill a ground slide.
    Not only pick up and move their family, but do so for temporary work.

    In a personal cost-benefit analysis, the benefit does not outweigh the cost here.

  5. #25
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,287
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I'll tell you the same I'll tell Wise and Jet: you dont know me. I'm at work now; working my hitch; "on tower"; 350 miles from the house. You must have me mistaken for some lilly livered Libbo that would tatuer sit on the couch and wait for the gubmint to come bail me out.
    Well that's odd since Wise serves in the military and I'm also at work looking after a multi million dollar business by myself at the age of 22 around about 5000km from home.

    So I guess you don't know us either because it just seems to me that you seem to think you're so god damn spangled awesome that you're the only one that works around here.

  6. #26
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Isn't the point of this that there is work in a place with over 10% unemployment? Is it the greatest work? No. But for a guy without family, it could be what he needs to get his feet wet. Time to bunk in small space with 3 other dudes, dinner consists of beans/romaine and some miller lites (that is if you are going classy, if not, Red, white and blue). Get some money and keep moving forward.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Isn't the point of this that there is work in a place with over 10% unemployment? Is it the greatest work? No. But for a guy without family, it could be what he needs to get his feet wet. Time to bunk in small space with 3 other dudes, dinner consists of beans/romaine and some miller lites (that is if you are going classy, if not, Red, white and blue). Get some money and keep moving forward.
    If you earn 9.50 per hour, then there is no need to live like that. You can share a house with some friends for about 50 USD per week in the small towns. And earning 9.50 per hour, if you work 10 hours a day, 5.5 days a week, then you will earn 522 USD per week.

    I really don't know why more young people are not doing it. It sounds like a good way to save up some money and get some experience. Sound better than staying home doing nothing.

  8. #28
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,360

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    So you would be willing to move yourself, your wife (if you got one) and children (if you have any) several hundred if not thousands of miles away for a minimum wage job? You would be willing to take a loss on your home, and move to an area with higher home prices ... for a minimum wage job, that is seasonal and temporary?
    I was expecting a common sense poit of view, shoulda known better I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #29
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    If you earn 9.50 per hour, then there is no need to live like that. You can share a house with some friends for about 50 USD per week in the small towns. And earning 9.50 per hour, if you work 10 hours a day, 5.5 days a week, then you will earn 522 USD per week.

    I really don't know why more young people are not doing it. It sounds like a good way to save up some money and get some experience. Sound better than staying home doing nothing.
    It is what I did for a brief time between more permanent jobs. I have to admit, it was fun. It was like mixing college and summer camp together.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  10. #30
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,323

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Unless you have been in the position of having a family to support with no income,
    having this discussion is a moot point.
    You would be amazed what I have, and would put up with to make sure my family was fed and housed.
    To learn first hand that adversity does not build character, it reveals it.
    In the example above, a good Engineer could make himself useful and valuable to the farm industry.
    Or,as bad as it sounds, Dad may have to travel to find a job, sending money home while living small.
    Build up the capacity to relocate the family.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •