Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 193

Thread: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

  1. #101
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    There's the bitch about it. I don't care how good a person is at construction, if they didn't get laid off at least once or lose their job entirely during this past economic downturn, they are lucky as all hell. And teh bitch about it is, the best were often let go first because the best are also the highest paid.
    The best trades and manual workers usually have "foreigners" going on at the same time. A very good friend who does roofing work on a couple of my houses got his own business through "foreigners" and the day job for a roofing company got in the way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    -- Absolutely. But backbreaking labor is a young man's game, for the most part.
    I was speaking in context of the thread - there seems to be high unemployment among California's young but lots of jobs going around.

  2. #102
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    It is not being exploited. It is low skill work that anyone could do.
    Ah, I see you've never done it. That explains it. Not just anyone can do those jobs. Just because it doesn't require learnable skills doesn't mean it's something anyone can do. There are many natural traits a person must have in order to do that work day in, day out, for any amount of time.

    If you aren't working anywhere else, you need to be out there working where someone is offering.
    Why do you "need" to be working where someone is offering? Are you saying that if you lost your job and someone offered you this load of ****, you'd take it right away simply because you aren't working anywhere else and you need to be working where someoen is offering?

    It is above minimum wage.
    Not by nearly enough to make it superior to an easy minimum wage job.

    Tell me the realistic option. Not stupid **** like
    Well I guess if you say so, I should consider it to be gospel, since you've proven yourself to be such a superior intellect with incredible reading comprehension skills.

    Because that is not happening. People here are going to buy what is cheapest. That is a fact.
    Didn't comprehend what you read, did you? If what I just described occurred, foreign crap wouldn't be the cheapest anymore. It'd be of equal or greater price.


    If you don't bleieve it go sit outside a walmart for an hour then go to a grocery store that pays well.
    If my proposal was enacted, that wouldn't be the case anymore. Since people cannot be trusted to do the right thing themselves, they should no longer be given the option to make the ****ty choices because greedy bastards who do not do any work for their livings will exploit their innate stupidity every time, even though it ultimately harms them.


    Put an american made product at 20/hr next to a chinese one made at $1/hr. See which people buy. Reality is a bitch but it is reality.
    You really didn't undestrand a word of it, did you?

    So by all means please let me know a solution that is grounded in reality.
    Haw about, instead of fruitlessly explaining something you won't comprehend again, you just let me know when you have the basic reading comprehension skills necessary to understand it, and then I'll redirect you back to the original quote of it. Deal?

    Your idea of become a scumbag criminal to avoid actually having to work is pathetic.
    Where did you get the insanely stupid idea that I said anything like that?


    If you want to resort to that I hope one of the people you choose to rob is armed.
    Who said anything about robbing? Do you have some sort of hallucinatory disorder that causes you to see words written that are not there?


    I honestly dont care what you suddenly want to claim as an e-dentity.
    In your world, does 4 years of consistency equate to "suddenly"? I'm trying to get a guage on your total vocalubarly here to make sure I use words that you have some chance of comphrehending.

    You are clearly stating you would rather be a criminal then earn a living.
    I'm really starting to think that there is a hallucinatory disorder, because I clearly never said that.

    Dont try to sell me on stories about how you do actually do hard work.
    Did. It's the past tense of "do". And I know that I've done harder work than you've ever done, because you are so utterly clueless about hard work it's scary.

    Nobody, but nobody, that has really worked in their lives would be willing to work doing back breaking labor for $9 an hour when easy work is available for the same wage or close enough to it that a second job would make up the difference in about 5 hours a week.



    What crime are you resorting to then?
    Not quite sure, since I've never been put in a position where I had to choose between a life of crime and moving to California to pick fruits and veggies for $9/hour. Probably something gambling-related, like an illegal poker house, since I actually have an idea how to start something like that.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #103
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Ah, I see you've never done it. That explains it. Not just anyone can do those jobs. Just because it doesn't require learnable skills doesn't mean it's something anyone can do. There are many natural traits a person must have in order to do that work day in, day out, for any amount of time.



    Why do you "need" to be working where someone is offering? Are you saying that if you lost your job and someone offered you this load of ****, you'd take it right away simply because you aren't working anywhere else and you need to be working where someoen is offering?



    Not by nearly enough to make it superior to an easy minimum wage job.



    Well I guess if you say so, I should consider it to be gospel, since you've proven yourself to be such a superior intellect with incredible reading comprehension skills.



    Didn't comprehend what you read, did you? If what I just described occurred, foreign crap wouldn't be the cheapest anymore. It'd be of equal or greater price.




    If my proposal was enacted, that wouldn't be the case anymore. Since people cannot be trusted to do the right thing themselves, they should no longer be given the option to make the ****ty choices because greedy bastards who do not do any work for their livings will exploit their innate stupidity every time, even though it ultimately harms them.




    You really didn't undestrand a word of it, did you?



    Haw about, instead of fruitlessly explaining something you won't comprehend again, you just let me know when you have the basic reading comprehension skills necessary to understand it, and then I'll redirect you back to the original quote of it. Deal?



    Where did you get the insanely stupid idea that I said anything like that?




    Who said anything about robbing? Do you have some sort of hallucinatory disorder that causes you to see words written that are not there?




    In your world, does 4 years of consistency equate to "suddenly"? I'm trying to get a guage on your total vocalubarly here to make sure I use words that you have some chance of comphrehending.



    I'm really starting to think that there is a hallucinatory disorder, because I clearly never said that.



    Did. It's the past tense of "do". And I know that I've done harder work than you've ever done, because you are so utterly clueless about hard work it's scary.

    Nobody, but nobody, that has really worked in their lives would be willing to work doing back breaking labor for $9 an hour when easy work is available for the same wage or close enough to it that a second job would make up the difference in about 5 hours a week.





    Not quite sure, since I've never been put in a position where I had to choose between a life of crime and moving to California to pick fruits and veggies for $9/hour. Probably something gambling-related, like an illegal poker house, since I actually have an idea how to start something like that.
    All that to say you dont want to reply to what i posted? You want to call me out for comprehension because you failed to understand what I wrote

    I will simplify it for you

    Your idea above is not reality. The reality is foreign products are cheaper. The reality is Americans do not buy American goods for that reason. Raising labor costs is not going to make Americans buy more American goods. In fact it will reduce the amount of goods bought and force businesses to close. Whether you like the option or not that is reality. You can fantisize about a world where foreign products are more expensive but it isnt happening.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  4. #104
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    The best trades and manual workers usually have "foreigners" going on at the same time. A very good friend who does roofing work on a couple of my houses got his own business through "foreigners" and the day job for a roofing company got in the way.
    Oh, absolutely. don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Immigrants at all. I was one of the few American-born people in most of the jobs I did, but I'm an immigrants kid. when I talk abut foreign labor, I don't mean immigrants. Sorry if that wasn't clear.



    I was speaking in context of the thread - there seems to be high unemployment among California's young but lots of jobs going around.
    Gotcha. I think there was a misunderstanding with what I was saying. I didn't mean anything about "immigrants" when I said "migrant farm work". I meant farm jobs where you have to move with the work based on the seasons. Immigrants typically are the people working these jobs, but that's merely a linguistic coincidence rather than anything else.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #105
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    All that to say you dont want to reply to what i posted?
    I did reply. You made false claims about what I said, and I corrected your misunderstandings.


    You want to call me out for comprehension because you failed to understand what I wrote

    I will simplify it for you
    Well let's see, then.

    Your idea above is not reality. The reality is foreign products are cheaper. The reality is Americans do not buy American goods for that reason. Raising labor costs is not going to make Americans buy more American goods. In fact it will reduce the amount of goods bought and force businesses to close. Whether you like the option or not that is reality.
    Yep. You still didn't understand what you were responding to. This simpler version of the same thing that was wrong before, remains wrong. Fascinating how that works.


    You can fantisize about a world where foreign products are more expensive but it isnt happening.
    Do you know what a tariff is and what it does?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post

    Yep. You still didn't understand what you were responding to. This simpler version of the same thing that was wrong before, remains wrong. Fascinating how that works.
    By all means explain where I am wrong

    Do you know what a tariff is and what it does?
    yes I do. The question is does this tariff exist? Again lets stick to reality. The reality is the farms already pay more than other countries do and by a lot. And because of that they have to charge more. Because they charge more people dont buy as much. With our current laws, without injecting fantasy, what realistic option do these farmers have?

    As far as I can tell they can

    Raise prices and offer more for labor which would result in them losing their farms

    or

    Hire illegals

    or

    Americans lazy asses can go work for the 9.25 hour and support themselves and hope not to get robbed by the idiots who think crime is an alternative to labor
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  7. #107
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    10-18-12 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    If you earn 9.50 per hour, then there is no need to live like that. You can share a house with some friends for about 50 USD per week in the small towns. And earning 9.50 per hour, if you work 10 hours a day, 5.5 days a week, then you will earn 522 USD per week.

    I really don't know why more young people are not doing it. It sounds like a good way to save up some money and get some experience. Sound better than staying home doing nothing.
    not true about a quarter of that $522 goes to fed income tax right off the top.

  8. #108
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Quote Originally Posted by majora$$hole View Post
    not true about a quarter of that $522 goes to fed income tax right off the top.
    if you are making that little amount of money they are not going to take much in taxes, and what they do take in taxes you get back plus some in most cases.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  9. #109
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Quote Originally Posted by majora$$hole View Post
    not true about a quarter of that $522 goes to fed income tax right off the top.
    You really don't get taxed at sub 500 a week. Maybe state, but that is a state to state issue.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  10. #110
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: California Farm Labor Shortage 'Worst It's Been, Ever'

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    When your income depends on your mobility, though, you put that cast on and get back to work ASAP. In that instance, it was about a week before I was hauling lumber around again.
    For that week though you were still lumbering around.




    Yeah, got to stop it with the puns.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •