Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 399

Thread: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

  1. #61
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    She's going to get her diploma. They will eventually relent and give it to her.
    What kind of lesson is that? What kind of example is that setting for children? You can misbehave and refuse to apologize, but as long as you complain it will all work out in the end.

  2. #62
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    What kind of lesson is that? What kind of example is that setting for children? You can misbehave and refuse to apologize, but as long as you complain it will all work out in the end.
    you keep referring to children, which makes your argument asinine on the face.

    We are likely talking about an 18 year old. That you have to use exaggeration to make your absurd claims not seem so absurd says it all about your ability to debate on the subject.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Last Seen
    10-12-14 @ 05:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    407

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    It is not an apt analogy. You cant deny someone a paycheck for time they have already worked. A better analogy is a contract to build something payable on completion, then terminating prior to completion.
    Correct, she worked 13 years for a diploma. You can't deny someone a diploma for school years they have already completed.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    you keep referring to children, which makes your argument asinine on the face.

    We are likely talking about an 18 year old. That you have to use exaggeration to make your absurd claims not seem so absurd says it all about your ability to debate on the subject.
    If we consider the person in question to be an adult, it is just that much worse. Why on earth would any defend an adult who broke the rules and then refused to apologize?

    Regardless, I am not in the habit of recognizing high school students as adults. That's weird.

  5. #65
    Advisor Another Lurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Uncle Joe's state
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    319

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    She's going to get her diploma. They will eventually relent and give it to her.
    I tend to agree ... however, why would the morons on the school board even do this to begin with. The operative word is MORONS.

    A L

  6. #66
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Das Sozialist View Post
    Correct, she worked 13 years for a diploma. You can't deny someone a diploma for school years they have already completed.
    She didn't work 13 years on an hourly basis. Schools grant diplomas on completion. You can't get a pro rates diploma. If you work all that time and blow it at the last minute, you're out of luck. It's the same reason twelfth grade dropouts don't get diplomas. Close but no cigar.

  7. #67
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    If we consider the person in question to be an adult, it is just that much worse. Why on earth would any defend an adult who broke the rules and then refused to apologize?

    Regardless, I am not in the habit of recognizing high school students as adults. That's weird.
    rules get broken all the time. I'm not sure if one was in this case, and I noticed you have so far failed to produce any evidence that hell is a rule violation.

    all you have done so far is rushed to judgement about this supposed child, that may not be a child at all.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Another Lurker View Post
    I tend to agree ... however, why would the morons on the school board even do this to begin with. The operative word is MORONS.

    A L
    What is moronic about enforcing rules?
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 08-21-12 at 10:48 AM.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Last Seen
    10-12-14 @ 05:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    407

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    She didn't work 13 years on an hourly basis. Schools grant diplomas on completion. You can't get a pro rates diploma. If you work all that time and blow it at the last minute, you're out of luck. It's the same reason twelfth grade dropouts don't get diplomas. Close but no cigar.
    She completed schooling. You receive your diploma AFTER you exit school, unless she blew it during class-time or when school was in session, she still deserves the diploma.

  10. #70
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    rules get broken all the time. I'm not sure if one was in this case, and I noticed you have so far failed to produce any evidence that hell is a rule violation.

    all you have done so far is rushed to judgement about this supposed child, that may not be a child at all.
    I'm not sure what type of person considers a high school sTudent an adult, but even if we assume that is true, an adult has an even greater culpability.

    It continues to shock me that people are defending a misbehaving student like this. Some key said it earlier, PC run amok, and they are right. I am normally all for being PC, I think it is just part of being polite to call groups of people by the names they want to b e ccalled, etc. But this has nothing to do with being politically correct or free speech or anything like that. It is simply about apologizing for breaking the rules, or stubbornly and self righteously refusing to apologize. The morally correct path is obvious.

Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •