Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 399

Thread: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

  1. #311
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't know if she is stubborn and disobedient with everything. She might be a very nice kid, but in this situation she is acting childish IMO. Hopefully, this will be a lesson in respect, civility and humility for her.
    It is impossible to judge the character of the valedictorian from this one incident, but I fear that she isn't going to learn anything from this because of the strong show of support she is getting. Her parents really are the ones to blame, because it seems pretty clear from the articles that the support of her parents is emboldening her.

    You are so right about what you said earlier, people wonder why kids are out of control these days, it is because parents shield them from the consequences of their actions. Kid got in trouble for cursing at school? Why should she apologize when we could make a big quasi political stink about it and get our name in the paper? Who cares about basic politeness when we can have fifteen minutes of cheap fame?

  2. #312
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Bring it on.
    I already did.

    you failed to bring any logical counter to my point.

    Society will ultimately decide what is acceptable behavior. Fortunately for that community, our collective opinions mean squat (this includes you as well), but if this forum is any indication, you two need to wake up to reality. You carry on emotionally charged about how unacceptable this is, and you speak as if you have the rules on a stone tablet.

  3. #313
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Bring it on.
    Lol Yeah, seriously areal conservative, give us an actual substantive argument to debate against for crying out loud.

    But there is a reason nobody has been able to present a rational defense of the valedictorian, it's because there is no rational defense. What she did in refusing to apologize is utterly puerile and indefensible.

  4. #314
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    I already did.

    you failed to bring any logical counter to my point.

    Society will ultimately decide what is acceptable behavior. Fortunately for that community, our collective opinions mean squat (this includes you as well), but if this forum is any indication, you two need to wake up to reality. You carry on emotionally charged about how unacceptable this is, and you speak as if you have the rules on a stone tablet.
    I completely disagree with your assessment. Your argument is weak. It is up to the school. The school sets the rules whether you like it or not.

  5. #315
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I completely disagree with your assessment. Your argument is weak. It is up to the school. The school sets the rules whether you like it or not.
    meanwhile, back in the real world, the school rules are based on the wishes of the community that pays for the school

  6. #316
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Well, I have to get ready to go to work now, but I'll be back to later to see how the debate is going. Have a nice day!

  7. #317
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    meanwhile, back in the real world, the school rules are based on the wishes of the community that pays for the school
    No, the school board (which is made up of members of the community) sets the rules.

  8. #318
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    No, the school board (which is made up of members of the community) sets the rules.
    holy hell, nobody is this dense.

    the community votes for the board. If members of the board do not represent the will of the people, they are replaced.

    meanwhile, back in the real world, the school rules are based on the wishes of the community that pays for the school

  9. #319
    Advisor Another Lurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Uncle Joe's state
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    319

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    meanwhile, back in the real world, the school rules are based on the wishes of the community that pays for the school
    If you believe that, I have a bridge for sale.

    A L

  10. #320
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Another Lurker View Post
    If you believe that, I have a bridge for sale.

    A L
    I do believe this. It can be a bit slow responding, but it is how the system works.

Page 32 of 40 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •