Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 399

Thread: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

  1. #251
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    No she wouldn't. At least not by any rational manager in the world. No manager is going to fire a good employee for a mild slip of the tongue. And (with a few minor exceptions) no clients are going to be offended by the word hell, especially when it was uttered unintentionally.
    That would depend entirely on where you work, who your employer is, who your clients are. Those are not minor exceptions. It's just not good etiquette, especially while delivering a speech in mixed company.

  2. #252
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,925

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I see now - she was trying to punish for the slip-up and denying the diploma was the only thing she could think of.

    Hmm

    I think when students graduate - by that time - that's the schools relinquishing of punishment-abilities. . . they just should have sucked it up.
    Thats my feeling.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  3. #253
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,925

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    No she wouldn't. At least not by any rational manager in the world. No manager is going to fire a good employee for a mild slip of the tongue. And (with a few minor exceptions) no clients are going to be offended by the word hell, especially when it was uttered unintentionally.
    With respect in this particular case it was in fact intentional. That should be clear to all. She specifically said in several of her interviews she did it at the last minute and she ment to say it. I
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  4. #254
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I see now - she was trying to punish for the slip-up and denying the diploma was the only thing she could think of.

    Hmm

    I think when students graduate - by that time - that's the schools relinquishing of punishment-abilities. . . they just should have sucked it up.
    I can see your point, but I really don't think asking for an apology is a punishment. That's my whole point. It's being stubborn and proud IMO. Perhaps the principal is being stubborn and proud too, but if the principal gives in to a student, that really isn't setting a good precedence as far as her status is concerned either. She or he is the principal, who thought it was inappropriate and took the steps he or she felt were correct.

  5. #255
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I think I'm every bit as informed as you are. Every article I've read says the audience laughed at it. Do you have information indicating otherwise?
    It is clearly indicated in the article that the language was not permitted by the administration.

  6. #256
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,925

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I can see your point, but I really don't think asking for an apology is a punishment. That's my whole point. It's being stubborn and proud IMO. Perhaps the principal is being stubborn and proud too, but if the principal gives in to a student, that really isn't setting a good precedence as far as her status is concerned either. She or he is the principal, who thought it was inappropriate and took the steps he or she felt were correct.
    I guess that is why discretion should be excercised. It is used less and less these days. The principle has more experiance then the graduate, one would think they would be wiser in their response to a very minor situation. It can still be salvaged I think but that will depend on the good will of all involved I think. Appogising publicly is an addmision of guilt. That is punishment, via humiliation. She is not guilty of any thing that would require punishment of any sort. Admonishment privately perhaps.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  7. #257
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,925

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    It is clearly indicated in the article that the language was not permitted by the administration.
    If the adminstration wishes to control what is said at the ceramony then have the speaches recorded then they will be able to have no surprises and not allow anything they dont like, or they find questionable.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  8. #258
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    I guess that is why discretion should be excercised. It is used less and less these days. The principle has more experiance then the graduate, one would think they would be wiser in their response to a very minor situation. It can still be salvaged I think but that will depend on the good will of all involved I think. Appogising publicly is an addmision of guilt. That is punishment, via humiliation. She is not guilty of any thing that would require punishment of any sort. Admonishment privately perhaps.
    Here is a a link. She DID break the rules, and she was well aware of that. It says ZERO tolerance policy.

    HS valedictorian denied diploma after saying word

    There is zero tolerance and then there is zero tolerance. A high school in Oklahoma with a strict zero tolerance policy against profanity may have overreacted a tad in refusing to grant a diploma to a graduating senior (and not just any graduating senior but the class valedictorian) because she said H-E-double hockey sticks in her graduation speech. The teen, Kaitlin Nootbaar, was on NBC's Today Show on Wednesday, where she told host Matt Laurer that she has no intention of apologizing for her offensive choice of language. “I know what I've achieved,” she said during the interview (video here), “and the fact that I don't want to give an apology, maybe I'll never get my diploma and that's fine.”

  9. #259
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    The article also mentions that she submitted her speech for approval beforehand (and it was approved) with the word "heck" in it, and then at the last minute she decided to change her mind.

  10. #260
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    If the adminstration wishes to control what is said at the ceramony then have the speaches recorded then they will be able to have no surprises and not allow anything they dont like, or they find questionable.
    No, they can make rules against students using profane language (or anything THEY consider profane language) while in the school setting, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •