Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 399

Thread: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

  1. #181
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Funnily enough, I see a pathetic level of groupthink coming from the arguments of those supporting the disobedient student in this. It's people no thinking rationally or morally, but emotionally. Many have already admitted that their support for the disobedient student stems from their own youthful altercations with teachers. It's that whole "we don't need no education, we don't need no thought control" mantra. The other side is vicariously living out their childhood fantasies of standing up to their schoolteachers, and in the process encouraging bad behavior and setting the example that you can disobey the rules as long as you whine enough. Pathetic!
    At the heart of this issue is what a group thinks is and is not acceptable behavior. the rules any principal upholds is based on the consensus of the community. Group think is the name of the game.

    You find what she did to be terribly offensive. Most of us disagree, we find what the principal did was offensive and wrong.

    Attacking us for group think is hilariously ignorant of how the world works.

  2. #182
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Dude-
    TIO
    This Is Oklahoma, heck fire and shoot, we don't take the Lord's name in Vain, we just warp it around and pretend!

    What has been amusing to me is a few are still adamant on their position- even though there is a lack of any rule against saying hell, a fall back to 'confidential' reasons and because the Honor Student sees no need to do anymore than say she made a mistake she is the petulant one?

    Hell...

  3. #183
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    At the heart of this issue is what a group thinks is and is not acceptable behavior. the rules any principal upholds is based on the consensus of the community. Group think is the name of the game.

    You find what she did to be terribly offensive. Most of us disagree, we find what the principal did was offensive and wrong.

    Attacking us for group think is hilariously ignorant of how the world works.
    Personally, I am not the slightest bit offended at the use of the word hell or any other profanities. I can hardly think of anything more ridiculous to punish a student for.
    But that doesn't matter, and this is what is so wrong with these people defending he disobedient child. Rules are indeed rules. She broke the rule, and was offered a chance to apologize to make amends. She stubbornly refused, and expects to just have the consequences of her actions simply evaporate without even so much as an apology.

    The fact that people cannot admit that what she did was against school rules is ridiculous and is obviously based on groupthink, which is what I was referring to earlier. It is a childish desire to spite authority figures, so they side with this disobedient child to live out their own fantasies of standing up to authority over arbitrary rules. Why can't a student say hell? Hell, I don't know. But it is well known that students cursing is against the rules in all schools nationwide. Rules are indeed rules, and what the absurd adults defending the disobedienT child are doing is saying to kids, "see, you can do whatever you want, refuse to apologize, and here are no consequences.". I realize that liberals hate consequences, but guess what? In real life actions have consequences.

  4. #184
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I'm extremely dismayed that anyone rational in 2012 America would think that "hell" qualifies as profanity.

    Oh wait, forgot who I was talking to.
    "Hell" is the literal definition of a profanity. I don't expect you to know this, though, since I do remember who I'm talking to.

  5. #185
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Dude-
    TIO
    This Is Oklahoma, heck fire and shoot, we don't take the Lord's name in Vain, we just warp it around and pretend!

    What has been amusing to me is a few are still adamant on their position- even though there is a lack of any rule against saying hell, a fall back to 'confidential' reasons and because the Honor Student sees no need to do anymore than say she made a mistake she is the petulant one?

    Hell...
    You are misunderstanding the issue. The student is not petulant for using he word hell, but for refusing to apologize afterwards. All she needs to do to get her diploma is apologize for breakin the rules, but she refuses. This is petulant, and it is shocking that anyone is defending this sort of behavior.

  6. #186
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    "Hell" is the literal definition of a profanity. I don't expect you to know this, though, since I do remember who I'm talking to.
    Only to people with overactive fantasy lives.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #187
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Only to people with overactive fantasy lives.
    Small minded posts expressing intolerant and bigoted views like this will not change the definition of "profane."

    I do, however, admire your tenacity. No matter how wrong you are or how pathetically poor your attempts at argument you just don't give up.

  8. #188
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    No matter how wrong you are or how pathetically poor your attempts at argument you just don't give up.
    Funny, was going to say the same thing about you. How many people do you think would agree with me?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #189
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Funny, was going to say the same thing about you. How many people do you think would agree with me?
    You are deflecting the fact that you don't know the definition of "profane." I am guess by now you have googled it and are too embarrassed to admit you are wrong.

    Are you man enough to admit that you are wrong? We shall see.

  10. #190
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Valedictorian denied high school diploma for saying hell in speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    You are deflecting the fact that you don't know the definition of "profane." I am guess by now you have googled it and are too embarrassed to admit you are wrong.

    Are you man enough to admit that you are wrong? We shall see.
    Nobody is talking about profane language and since Prague High School, where this took place, is a public school, religion and religious definitions are irrelevant. As such, profanity, as used in a secular sense, has nothing whatsoever to do with your idiotic imaginary friend.

    Geez, you'd think you'd learn something around here once in a while.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •