Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 156

Thread: Automaker Fisker recalls some 2,400 Karmas for cooling fan issue

  1. #41
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Automaker Fisker recalls some 2,400 Karmas for cooling fan issue

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Which is what I said...the only reason to buy a hybrid is to make the owner feel 'greener' - a want and/or desire.

    In other words, imo, if you buy a hybrid, you are either a rabid tree hugger or an automotive dumbass - because either way (unless you keep your vehicle for about a decade) you are paying through the nose.
    and if you buy a porsche you are paying through the nose, but do people have the same rage regarding porsche?
    Last edited by Lord Tammerlain; 08-20-12 at 12:54 AM.
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  2. #42
    Sidewalk Inspector
    Utility Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,099

    Re: Automaker Fisker recalls some 2,400 Karmas for cooling fan issue

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    The only advantage is to make the owner's feel 'greener'.....
    Lets looks at some numbers, I used three vehicles that I am familiar with (Prius 50mpg,Corolla 35mpg,K2500 12mpg). The Prius will often get as much as 70mpg but other people will get as little as 50mpg so I used that number. The corolla is between 32 and 38mpg so I stuck with 35mpg. The K2500 is consistent at around 12mpg loaded or empty.

    @50mpg & 12k miles per yr @$4.00 per gal= 240 gal used per yr & $960.00 per yr. / savings=$408.00 yr vs 35mpg

    @35mpg & 12k miles per yr @$4.00 per gal= 342 gal used per yr & $1368.00 per yr. / savings=$2632.00 yr vs 12mpg

    @12mpg & 12k miles per yr @$4.00 per gal=1000 gal used per yr & $4000.00 per yr. / costing $3040.00 more yr vs 50mpg

    If a(50mpg)Prius battery last 8 years, which is about how long the warranty was on the older models IIRC, then at a savings of 408.00 per year vs a 35 mpg Corolla over 8 years, that equals a savings of 3264.00, the money saved by not purchasing that 816 gallons of extra fuel could easily be used to replace the battery. The battery is currently about 2400.00 for a 2010 if purchased through dealer IIRC.

    When comparing the 50 mpg and the 12 mpg over an 8 year period I get an astonishing savings of $24,320.00 at the pump in the 8 years and 6080 gal of fuel saved.

    When comparing the 35mpg and the 12mpg it would save a whopping $21,056.00 at the pump in 8 years and 5264 gal of fuel saved.

    What is simple to understand is that by choosing to drive a 50 MPG vehicle instead of a 12MPG one at a rate of 12k miles per year, the fuel conservation is 6080 gallons over an 8 year period, so even if you want to dismiss the air quality and cost savings achieved by driving @ 50 MPG vs 12, just look at the amount of fuel saved, it is enough to keep three additional 50 mpg vehicles on the road for 8 more years or two 35 MPG ones.

    Naturally I used the $4.00 per US gallon
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    There were, by most estimates, 500 Nazis in Charlottesville. One of them went homicidal. Not all Nazis are violent extremists. You are trying to rationalize your hatred and it's simply not rational.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    as I noted, its better that 10 nutjobs get guns than one good person be wrongly disarmed.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Automaker Fisker recalls some 2,400 Karmas for cooling fan issue

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    You don't know much about this I'm afraid. First, all hybrids are not plugins. In fact almost no hybrids are plugins. Second, the hybrid drivetrain isn't as simple as using up the electricity and then switching over to gas. There are three modes of operation: all electric, gas + electric, and all gas. In normal driving you'll go back and forth between the three modes depending on the type of driving and battery charge. They're certainly capable of getting excellent mileage over long distances, though they are better suited to stop-and-go driving. A lot of cab fleets are going to hybrids because they're more efficient.
    The main reason cabs are going hybrid is because they drive almost all city driving - which is where the hybrids shine.
    But most people do not and for the vast majority of people, unless you own a hybrid for at least 8-10 years; it costs much less to own a similar sized/equipped non-hybrid.
    Last edited by DA60; 08-20-12 at 01:12 AM.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Automaker Fisker recalls some 2,400 Karmas for cooling fan issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Utility Man View Post
    Lets looks at some numbers, I used three vehicles that I am familiar with (Prius 50mpg,Corolla 35mpg,K2500 12mpg). The Prius will often get as much as 70mpg but other people will get as little as 50mpg so I used that number. The corolla is between 32 and 38mpg so I stuck with 35mpg. The K2500 is consistent at around 12mpg loaded or empty.

    @50mpg & 12k miles per yr @$4.00 per gal= 240 gal used per yr & $960.00 per yr. / savings=$408.00 yr vs 35mpg

    @35mpg & 12k miles per yr @$4.00 per gal= 342 gal used per yr & $1368.00 per yr. / savings=$2632.00 yr vs 12mpg

    @12mpg & 12k miles per yr @$4.00 per gal=1000 gal used per yr & $4000.00 per yr. / costing $3040.00 more yr vs 50mpg

    If a(50mpg)Prius battery last 8 years, which is about how long the warranty was on the older models IIRC, then at a savings of 408.00 per year vs a 35 mpg Corolla over 8 years, that equals a savings of 3264.00, the money saved by not purchasing that 816 gallons of extra fuel could easily be used to replace the battery. The battery is currently about 2400.00 for a 2010 if purchased through dealer IIRC.

    When comparing the 50 mpg and the 12 mpg over an 8 year period I get an astonishing savings of $24,320.00 at the pump in the 8 years and 6080 gal of fuel saved.

    When comparing the 35mpg and the 12mpg it would save a whopping $21,056.00 at the pump in 8 years and 5264 gal of fuel saved.

    What is simple to understand is that by choosing to drive a 50 MPG vehicle instead of a 12MPG one at a rate of 12k miles per year, the fuel conservation is 6080 gallons over an 8 year period, so even if you want to dismiss the air quality and cost savings achieved by driving @ 50 MPG vs 12, just look at the amount of fuel saved, it is enough to keep three additional 50 mpg vehicles on the road for 8 more years or two 35 MPG ones.

    Naturally I used the $4.00 per US gallon
    I said when comparing similar vehicles...not an econobox and a full size pickup (which I assume is what a K1500 is).


    But let's use your data on Prius vs. Corolla.

    According to you, you save $408 per year driving a Prius vs. a Corolla. In 5 years, that equals $2,040.
    But a Corolla costs almost $8,000 less then a Prius.

    Unless you are talking about the Prius c - but that is based on the Yaris...so you would need to compare it to that model. And even then it still is much more expensive to own the Hybrid then the similarly sized and equipped alternative.

    www.toyota.com
    Last edited by DA60; 08-20-12 at 01:11 AM.

  5. #45
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Automaker Fisker recalls some 2,400 Karmas for cooling fan issue

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    The main reason cabs are going hybrid is because they drive almost all city driving - which is where the hybrids shine.
    But most people do not and for the vast majority of people, unless you own a hybrid for at least 8-10 years; it costs much less to own a similar sized/equipped non-hybrid.
    Hmm, I think most people actually live in cities, and hybrids still have an advantage in highway driving if, as in many areas, highways are congested during rush hour.
    "The necessaries of life occasion the great expense of the poor. They find it difficult to get food, and the greater part of their little revenue is spent in getting it. The luxuries and vanities of life occasion the principal expense of the rich, and a magnificent house embellishes and sets off to the best advantage all the other luxuries and vanities which they possess. ... It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion."

    -- Adam Smith

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Automaker Fisker recalls some 2,400 Karmas for cooling fan issue

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Hmm, I think most people actually live in cities, and hybrids still have an advantage in highway driving if, as in many areas, highways are congested during rush hour.
    I am going on the combined m.p.g. put out by the EPA - which (I assume) takes into account that people generally drive a combination of city/highway.

    If you - Mr. Everything Obama Does Is Wonderful - has a problem with that...I suggest you take it up with the Environmental Protection Agency.


    Have a nice day.

  7. #47
    Sidewalk Inspector
    Utility Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,099

    Re: Automaker Fisker recalls some 2,400 Karmas for cooling fan issue

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I said when comparing similar vehicles...
    My bad, I thought you merely anti-hybrid.

    When I referred to Corolla, Prius and K2500 I was speaking about vehicles I happen to be familiar with.These are older models ranging from the late 90s through 2010, purchased new and used.

    It looks like the EPA compares the 2012 Prius II with the Matrix, the Prius C with the Yaris, both hybrids there break even at about 5.5 years without factoring in resale value. One website to compare those 2012 models is here:Hybrid Table
    They seem to match up comparable models for 2012, but they don't compare the Corolla and Prius from what I see. Hybrid Compare

    There is currently a 8k dollar difference between those two models as you mentioned.

    Corolla and Prius, approx prices and MPG from Toyotas web site:

    Corolla..16K MSRP and 31mpg, @ 12k miles per year=387gal yr and 1548.00 yr @ 4.00 per gal

    Prius....24K MSRP and 49mpg, @ 12K miles per year=244gal yr and 976.00 yr @ 4.00 per gal

    With those numbers the Prius saves about 572.00 per year over the Corolla and 143 gallons of fuel at 12k miles.

    In 5 years the Prius saves about 2800.00 in fuel vs the Corolla, so it would take about 14 years to break even at that rate.

    The 2008 Prius brings in about 3000.00 more than a 2008 Corolla on the used market, maybe resale value should be figured in.

    It seems as though Kellys Blue Book estimates that a private party used 2008 Corolla is worth about 11K,and a 2008 private party Prius is worth about 14K, what I think is a reasonable 5 year resale comparison.

    So if after about 5 years the the value is about 3000.00 different and the cost savings at the pump is about 2800.00, someone would be paying approx 2200.00 over 5 years to save 715 gal of fuel while feeling green. That savings of approx 715 gal of fuel used over a 5 year period should calculate in there
    somewhere but I am not sure how to figure that on paper, but like I mentioned earlier it saves fuel for other uses etc. Doesn't seem like such a bad deal for having to pay an extra 36.00 a month for a new Prius vs a new Corolla over the 5 year period, a small price to pay in
    order to conserve fuel, help keep the hybrid market viable and hopefully move us in the right direction.

    From what I understand in the warranty department, hybrids components are considered emission related, so the battery and other components would probably have an 8 year or 100k mile warranty, while the Corolla for example would most likely have a 6 year powertrain warranty. Hard to put a price on the warranty differences.

    Naturally there are many variances in individuals lives with such things as the miles driven per year, whether or not they would even purchase a new vehicle and what they are going to use it for etc etc. I should hope that we don't need calculate 5.00+ fuel prices anytime soon, but if we do I would guess that the hybrid owners will probably come out way ahead in the long run.

    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing."
    Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    There were, by most estimates, 500 Nazis in Charlottesville. One of them went homicidal. Not all Nazis are violent extremists. You are trying to rationalize your hatred and it's simply not rational.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    as I noted, its better that 10 nutjobs get guns than one good person be wrongly disarmed.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Automaker Fisker recalls some 2,400 Karmas for cooling fan issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Utility Man View Post
    My bad, I thought you merely anti-hybrid.

    When I referred to Corolla, Prius and K2500 I was speaking about vehicles I happen to be familiar with.These are older models ranging from the late 90s through 2010, purchased new and used.

    It looks like the EPA compares the 2012 Prius II with the Matrix, the Prius C with the Yaris, both hybrids there break even at about 5.5 years without factoring in resale value. One website to compare those 2012 models is here:Hybrid Table
    They seem to match up comparable models for 2012, but they don't compare the Corolla and Prius from what I see. Hybrid Compare

    There is currently a 8k dollar difference between those two models as you mentioned.

    Corolla and Prius, approx prices and MPG from Toyotas web site:

    Corolla..16K MSRP and 31mpg, @ 12k miles per year=387gal yr and 1548.00 yr @ 4.00 per gal

    Prius....24K MSRP and 49mpg, @ 12K miles per year=244gal yr and 976.00 yr @ 4.00 per gal

    With those numbers the Prius saves about 572.00 per year over the Corolla and 143 gallons of fuel at 12k miles.

    In 5 years the Prius saves about 2800.00 in fuel vs the Corolla, so it would take about 14 years to break even at that rate.

    The 2008 Prius brings in about 3000.00 more than a 2008 Corolla on the used market, maybe resale value should be figured in.

    It seems as though Kellys Blue Book estimates that a private party used 2008 Corolla is worth about 11K,and a 2008 private party Prius is worth about 14K, what I think is a reasonable 5 year resale comparison.

    So if after about 5 years the the value is about 3000.00 different and the cost savings at the pump is about 2800.00, someone would be paying approx 2200.00 over 5 years to save 715 gal of fuel while feeling green. That savings of approx 715 gal of fuel used over a 5 year period should calculate in there
    somewhere but I am not sure how to figure that on paper, but like I mentioned earlier it saves fuel for other uses etc. Doesn't seem like such a bad deal for having to pay an extra 36.00 a month for a new Prius vs a new Corolla over the 5 year period, a small price to pay in
    order to conserve fuel, help keep the hybrid market viable and hopefully move us in the right direction.

    From what I understand in the warranty department, hybrids components are considered emission related, so the battery and other components would probably have an 8 year or 100k mile warranty, while the Corolla for example would most likely have a 6 year powertrain warranty. Hard to put a price on the warranty differences.

    Naturally there are many variances in individuals lives with such things as the miles driven per year, whether or not they would even purchase a new vehicle and what they are going to use it for etc etc. I should hope that we don't need calculate 5.00+ fuel prices anytime soon, but if we do I would guess that the hybrid owners will probably come out way ahead in the long run.

    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing."
    Albert Einstein
    Well, I applaud you for including all the statistics.

    So, bottom line, it would cost (based on your calculations) about $2200 more to own a Prius then a Corolla.

    But there are a few things to consider, imo.

    1) Leasing. If someone leases instead of buys - then the resale is not going to mean as much if they turn the car in at the end of the lease.

    2) The cost of financing. Over 5 years on say a 5% (compounded) loan, you are probably looking at $600/$800 more in interest payment costs for the $8000 difference between the two.
    So now you are talking about $3,000 per 5 years - or about $50 per month.
    And to people on a budget (and with 8+% unemployment - that's a LOT of people), that's the difference between 'feeling green' or buying the kids an iPad/PS3 with a bunch of games/movies/new home computer/etc..
    Which do you think the kids will want?

    3) the more highway miles you drive, the less sense a hybrid makes. The more city miles - the more sense.

    and 4) For $600 a year just to 'feel green' - you would be FAR better off just buying the non-hybrid alternative, saving the money and taking the bus/train to work once a week or so.
    You will be helping the environment, getting a little more exercise and saving a bunch of money.


    BTW - I love the idea of an all electric car. and as soon as they come down in price - I will probably buy one.

    But I think hybrids are the worst of both worlds (unless you drive almost exclusively in a city).

  9. #49
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,977
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Automaker Fisker recalls some 2,400 Karmas for cooling fan issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    and if you buy a porsche you are paying through the nose, but do people have the same rage regarding porsche?
    No, but that's because Porsche builds some of the most mind bendingly awesome sports cars int he world. They deliver exactly what they promise, without false advertising. World class performance. I'm not saying this to argue, I just like Porsche, and porsches in general. They are very curious cars, their performance exceeds what you would think they could do based on the "paper read out".
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  10. #50
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,977
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Automaker Fisker recalls some 2,400 Karmas for cooling fan issue

    All this drama over better fuel saving/lower emissions cars/technology.


    In the early 90s, Honda had a civic model called the HX. No hybrid, no electric, just good ol gas motor. As I recall, mine got about 40-45mpg on average, and if I was tight that month, and drove carefully, I saw 50mpg, easily. What happened to that? The fact is, the technology exists, and has existed, to achieve better fuel economy, and better emissions. The question is, why wasn't it ever implemented, and when it was, why was it fazed out? Honda stopped making that HX in...95, or 96, I think. When I traded mine in, it had 275K miles on the clock, with NO major work done to the motor.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •