Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 271

Thread: Israel Plans Iran Strike; Citizens Say Government Serious [W:52]

  1. #61
    Student John.NoseTip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Music City
    Last Seen
    10-17-12 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    287

    Re: Israel Plans Iran Strike; Citizens Say Government Serious [W:52]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Sure, and if we are removing moral equivalency from the argument then its fair to say that an Iranian nuclear weapon is inimical to US interests and we should prevent it from coming to pass. Having an Iranian bomb is not a positive thing for the region, or for the US. Nor is it positive for the world as far as the expansion and potential pressures of proliferation.

    There it is! We are different and get to decide what is good for the world. Nukes in general are bad for the world but to classify us as having some kind of moral authority is an amazing statement. Read about the history of the Iran since world war 2 and maybe you'll get an idea about our moral authority. Here's a hint they don't dislike us because we have titty bars. The people of Iran are actual people they are not objects that you get to have dominion over.

  2. #62
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Israel Plans Iran Strike; Citizens Say Government Serious [W:52]

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    a little more on this issue : Waiting for Russia's Next Move on Iran - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace

    so, to be clear, you believe that China and Russia will allow a preemptive attack on Iran, and will not respond?

    i would disagree. they are already responding.

    Russia: New US sanctions on Iran 'overt ... JPost - International
    China slams new US-Iran sanctions as 'serious violation of intl rules' RT

    exactly how they will respond is certainly up for debate. whether they will respond is decidedly less so.
    Your report acknowledges that Russia has lost billions on willingly canceled military contracts, and secondly NO WHERE does it mention that Russia or China would respond militarily. Which is entirely the point, because no one is saying they would. No one. Their reaction would be diplomatic and peripheral not militant or economic.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Israel Plans Iran Strike; Citizens Say Government Serious [W:52]

    Quote Originally Posted by John.NoseTip View Post
    There it is! We are different and get to decide what is good for the world. Nukes in general are bad for the world but to classify us as having some kind of moral authority is an amazing statement. Read about the history of the Iran since world war 2 and maybe you'll get an idea about our moral authority. Here's a hint they don't dislike us because we have titty bars. The people of Iran are actual people they are not objects that you get to have dominion over.
    We do get to decide what is good for the world as the major Democratic power and leader of a coalition of democratic powers. I don't care what the Iranian government wants or thinks is fair. Their acquisition of a nuclear weapon is harmful and cannot be allowed.

  4. #64
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Israel Plans Iran Strike; Citizens Say Government Serious [W:52]

    I suspect that all this sabre-rattling is attributable to Israel's MIC and our own MIC. Scare 'em and sell 'em. Israel has a huge arms industry and they buy or are given a lot of our weapons as well.

    Would Israel invade Iran? Not very likely. Would Iran invade Israel? Not very likely.

    If I'm wrong, would Israel want or need any US assistance other than arms supply? Again, I doubt that very much.

    ((IMHO Of Course))

  5. #65
    Student John.NoseTip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Music City
    Last Seen
    10-17-12 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    287

    Re: Israel Plans Iran Strike; Citizens Say Government Serious [W:52]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    We do get to decide what is good for the world as the major Democratic power and leader of a coalition of democratic powers. I don't care what the Iranian government wants or thinks is fair. Their acquisition of a nuclear weapon is harmful and cannot be allowed.
    I appreciate your honesty. While I couldn't disagree more with your ideas at least you're not wrapping it in all the bs about good intentions.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Israel Plans Iran Strike; Citizens Say Government Serious [W:52]

    Can everyone stop using the "Invade Iran" line! No one is suggesting Israel will invade Iran, or that Iran will invade Israel! I also have to strongly disagree with you speckle.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Israel Plans Iran Strike; Citizens Say Government Serious [W:52]

    Quote Originally Posted by John.NoseTip View Post
    I appreciate your honesty. While I couldn't disagree more with your ideas at least you're not wrapping it in all the bs about good intentions.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I do believe we have good intentions and that our approach provides greater net utility to the world than Iran's. I'm just not willing to bow to a moral relativism that says because Iran has had a turbulent past, or because we have transgressed, or for the sake of fairness, that it's alright for them to acquire a nuclear weapon.

  8. #68
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Israel Plans Iran Strike; Citizens Say Government Serious [W:52]

    What did I say that you disagree with?

    I feel like you just said exactly what I said so where is the point of disagreement?


    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Can everyone stop using the "Invade Iran" line! No one is suggesting Israel will invade Iran, or that Iran will invade Israel! I also have to strongly disagree with you speckle.

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Israel Plans Iran Strike; Citizens Say Government Serious [W:52]

    Quote Originally Posted by 24107 View Post
    What does U.S. elections have to do with israel?
    I heard on the news yesterday that Israel stated that unless the US commits to attacking Iran by next June that Israel would go it alone this fall, before the election.

    MSNBC, so i havent parsed spin yet.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  10. #70
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Israel Plans Iran Strike; Citizens Say Government Serious [W:52]

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    What did I say that you disagree with?

    I feel like you just said exactly what I said so where is the point of disagreement?
    Apologies. What I meant was that this is about a coordinated air campaign, and Iranian methods of retaliation, but these threads have been replete with references to invasion, which is what I was referring to. My disagreement is that this is part of some desire to drive up arms procurement rates. I think that is unfounded and mildly conspiratorial.

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •