Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 213

Thread: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

  1. #51
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    It's irrelevant. Ecuador has no means to military retaliate against the UK, so the UK has no incentive to respect Ecuadorian sovereignty in the embassy.
    And by doing so, every single UK citizen in Ecuador and allied nations are at risk from arrest.

    I doubt every other country's regime would risk the consequences of embassy invasion simply because the UK had a dispute w/Ecuador.
    Then you are ignorant. The Vienna Convention that governs embassies has been almost more sacred than the US constitution. Not even the US, USSR, North Korea and so on would violate the convention because they know, that as soon as they do that, their own diplomats are going to be targets in any country on the planet.

    There are 2 situations I know off where a government has violated an embassy.. the US embassy in Tehran by the Iranians (although you can argue this was not the government doing it), and the Chinese embassy in Belgrade by US bombers. You simply do not violate the embassy of a country... it is a big no no. Even during active war between two countries has embassies been protected.

    The more credible explanation is that the UK is not invading the embassy because Assange has some powerful counterthreat up his sleeve.
    Nope, the UK made a false threat and Ecuador called them on it and now the UK is back tracking. The Cameron government is looking foolish and they know it.

    The US and UK are notorious for routinely violating territorial sovereignty and blatantly ignoring international laws and treaties, so the idea that a treaty would stop an embassy invasion is absurd.
    Now that is horse****. The US nor the UK have rarely violated the Vienna convention. Now the US pisses in general on international treaties thanks to the GOP arrogance, but this convention is one that even the GOP have not yet violated, because they know that every US citizen abroad working at embassies will come one hell of a target if they do. Even Israel wont violate the convention for god sake.
    PeteEU

  2. #52
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Just how exactly does this scumbag get to Ecuador?
    That's not my problem - that's Ecuador and Julian Assange's.

  3. #53
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Well, there is that annoying rape thing in Sweden, but since this scumbag is a leftist hero for embarrassing the United States, you are apparently willing to overlook little things like rape. The hypocrisy of the Far Left has no limits.
    The problem is actually that the Swedish prosecutor is a moron. All she wants is to interview him, but refuses to do that in the UK or via tv link. Most experts say that the case will collapse very quickly because the prosecutor has no case and even the accusers have withdrawn their statements. Also the European arrest warrant has been abused by the Swedish prosecutor because it was never intended to be used in cases where they want to question some one. Sadly the convention is being abused by many countries and that has to stop.

    I fully understand the fear of Assange. Sweden is like the UK a known US brownnoser and because it requires both countries to agree in an extradition to the US, the threat is very real. Although if the UK and/or Sweden did agree to extradite him, then they would have to explain how they could extradite him to a country that could use the death penalty against him... in Sweden that could mean the death of the government because Sweden is very much against capital punishment.

    The US is also to blame. The rhetoric coming from official and unofficial sources, ranging from murderer, terrorist, to treason (which is idiotic since he aint an American lol), and all those involving the death penalty.. and the US refusing to take that off the table, only makes things highly problematic. There is no doubt that Assange would be rail-roaded in the US, because he has embarrassed not only the left (Obama) but the right (Bush and the GOP) with his leaks. He would also be tortured, just like Manning has been.

    Europe should rip up their extradition treaties with the US in my opinion.
    PeteEU

  4. #54
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    -- Europe should rip up their extradition treaties with the US in my opinion.
    On that, I can agree. Far easier to extradite to the US than from the US, the treaties are pretty one-sided.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official | World news | guardian.co.uk

    Great move for freedom and transparency on Ecuadors part! Now hopefully Assange can find some safe way to get from GB and to Ecuador!
    Good.

    When do Romney's taxes hit the web?

  6. #56
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    The problem is actually that the Swedish prosecutor is a moron. All she wants is to interview him, but refuses to do that in the UK or via tv link. Most experts say that the case will collapse very quickly because the prosecutor has no case and even the accusers have withdrawn their statements. Also the European arrest warrant has been abused by the Swedish prosecutor because it was never intended to be used in cases where they want to question some one. Sadly the convention is being abused by many countries and that has to stop.

    I fully understand the fear of Assange. Sweden is like the UK a known US brownnoser and because it requires both countries to agree in an extradition to the US, the threat is very real. Although if the UK and/or Sweden did agree to extradite him, then they would have to explain how they could extradite him to a country that could use the death penalty against him... in Sweden that could mean the death of the government because Sweden is very much against capital punishment.

    The US is also to blame. The rhetoric coming from official and unofficial sources, ranging from murderer, terrorist, to treason (which is idiotic since he aint an American lol), and all those involving the death penalty.. and the US refusing to take that off the table, only makes things highly problematic. There is no doubt that Assange would be rail-roaded in the US, because he has embarrassed not only the left (Obama) but the right (Bush and the GOP) with his leaks. He would also be tortured, just like Manning has been.

    Europe should rip up their extradition treaties with the US in my opinion.
    There are many of us who'd be willing to rip up all agreements with Europe.

    I love the characters you on the Far Left in Europe pick as your heroes. It speaks volumes about you as a culture. Anti-american bull**** being the prime requirement.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  7. #57
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    That's not my problem - that's Ecuador and Julian Assange's.

    Well, maybe they can smuggle him out in a diplomatic pouch. He's an ass clown and let's hope something unfortunate happens to him somewhere along the line.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  8. #58
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Well, there is that annoying rape thing in Sweden, but since this scumbag is a leftist hero for embarrassing the United States
    He did not embarrass the US. He only embarrassed the US government.

    Don't lump freedom-loving Americans w/uncle sammy.

  9. #59
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    You speak for yourself when you proclaim your hatred for your own country. And don't presume to think that 'freedom loving Americans' join in with you and your anti-american bull****.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  10. #60
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    There are many of us who'd be willing to rip up all agreements with Europe.
    Yea we know .. why dont you pretty pleaseeeee.

    I love the characters you on the Far Left in Europe pick as your heroes. It speaks volumes about you as a culture. Anti-american bull**** being the prime requirement.
    Ahh the usual personal attack, calling people far left, European and anti-american.

    For the record.. I despise Assange as a person and on some of the things he did. I despise that he knowingly released information that would endanger people.

    But I dont despise him for exposing US war crimes in Iraq. He should get a medal for that, and the US should be ashamed of the conduct of some of the military personnel and lack of accountability by the US military.

    And most of the information he did release was embarrassing and hardly a national security threat. In fact some GOP congressmen and GOP members have done worse.
    PeteEU

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •