Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 213

Thread: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

  1. #41
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    The British armed forces could make short work of Ecuador, so that war is a non-issue.
    Not really.. they dont have the means to get there any more. Remember they mothballed their air craft carriers and dont have any bombers at all. So unless the US or another "friendly" country would be willing to give them a staging area, then it is a no go. Plus you forget that if the UK does go into the embassy after him, then every single UK embassy in the world plus their diplomats are at danger.
    PeteEU

  2. #42
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    China also has our technology. It stole it.
    /shrug you "stole" a lot of the base technology from most of Europe after WW2.
    PeteEU

  3. #43
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Not really.. they dont have the means to get there any more. Remember they mothballed their air craft carriers and dont have any bombers at all.
    It's irrelevant. Ecuador has no means to military retaliate against the UK, so the UK has no incentive to respect Ecuadorian sovereignty in the embassy.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    So unless the US or another "friendly" country would be willing to give them a staging area, then it is a no go. Plus you forget that if the UK does go into the embassy after him, then every single UK embassy in the world plus their diplomats are at danger.
    I doubt every other country's regime would risk the consequences of embassy invasion simply because the UK had a dispute w/Ecuador.

    The more credible explanation is that the UK is not invading the embassy because Assange has some powerful counterthreat up his sleeve.

    The US and UK are notorious for routinely violating territorial sovereignty and blatantly ignoring international laws and treaties, so the idea that a treaty would stop an embassy invasion is absurd.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    What's totally mind-boggling is why the British govt. hasn't simply invaded the Ecuadorian embassy to arrest him --
    They cannot due to treaty agreements. The embassy grounds are considered Ecuadorian territory by treaty. If they did invade then it would be just like invading the country itself and would be considered an act of war. Do you really want ANOTHER war going on?
    I have a feeling if there was a "threat" to send police in; it was to force Ecuador's hand and grant Assange asylum and thereby get him off UK soil.

    Very few governments - even the powerful ones with nukes would break international treaties and send troops or police onto embassy grounds against the wishes of the embassy country.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Infinite Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    11-19-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,858

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    -- The US and UK are notorious for routinely violating territorial sovereignty and blatantly ignoring international laws and treaties, so the idea that a treaty would stop an embassy invasion is absurd.
    The only time the UK has invaded another country's embassy was when that embassy was taken over by external forces in 1980; I can link to video evidence to back that up.



    Can you link to back your claim up please?

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Not really.. they dont have the means to get there any more. Remember they mothballed their air craft carriers and dont have any bombers at all. So unless the US or another "friendly" country would be willing to give them a staging area, then it is a no go. Plus you forget that if the UK does go into the embassy after him, then every single UK embassy in the world plus their diplomats are at danger.
    This whole thing is one of the best examples of why I don't believe America should have foreign embassies or allow them in the United States.

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Good. No one should be locking up journalists for the act of journalism. They provide an all-too-important check on tyrannical abuses of government power. It's ridiculous that Assange has had to go through all of this. Every criticism that was levied at him about the potential dangers of the information he published turned out to be false. No troop positions were endangered. No nation's security was endangered. But overconfident governments discovered that they cannot act with impunity. How is this a bad thing? Why does a socialist have to defend checks on government power by a private citizen to conservatives?
    Well, there is that annoying rape thing in Sweden, but since this scumbag is a leftist hero for embarrassing the United States, you are apparently willing to overlook little things like rape. The hypocrisy of the Far Left has no limits.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    I have a feeling if there was a "threat" to send police in; it was to force Ecuador's hand and grant Assange asylum and thereby get him off UK soil.

    Very few governments - even the powerful ones with nukes would break international treaties and send troops or police onto embassy grounds against the wishes of the embassy country.
    Just how exactly does this scumbag get to Ecuador?
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  9. #49
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    They cannot due to treaty agreements. The embassy grounds are considered Ecuadorian territory by treaty. If they did invade then it would be just like invading the country itself and would be considered an act of war. Do you really want ANOTHER war going on?
    You mean like we went to war with Iran after they took over the U.S. embassy?

    Oh wait.....never mind.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  10. #50
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    So now Ecuador will declare war on the US if it secures their embassy for an internationally wanted man... because that's the same thing as...

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •