Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 213

Thread: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

  1. #31
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Personally I would love it if Assaunge did get brought to the US. Not because I think that he would be convicted, but quite the opposite. He would be exonerated.

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

    Now I know that some people do not want to consider wikileaks as "the press" but guess what...it is, whether you like it or not. At best Assuange would be guilty of libel. And that charge has already flown the coop since our government has already admitted that those leaks were genuine.

    As for the Swedish charges, even those women admitted that the sex was consensual. Hell, at least one of them made breakfast and paid for his ticket back iirc.

    As for Manning, yeah he should be in prison as what he did WAS wrong.
    The US military is a joke. It wouldn't matter whether "secret" information about it or its operations were revealed. Either way, it's incompetent bloated butt will be kicked out of Afghanistan.

    Then hopefully, taxpayers can get some sleep

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    So when are the people who actually killed people going to be arrested? After Wikileaks did expose quite a few murders.
    I don't believe that any of those peoplel killed were Americans, and it's really not murder to kill an animal.

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    What's totally mind-boggling is why the British govt. hasn't simply invaded the Ecuadorian embassy to arrest him. Doesn't make sense as to why it has anything to fear from a Third World hole like Mississippi, uh, I mean Ecuador.

    Only logical explanation is that Assange, in fact, is not simply being holed up in the embassy as the media reports, but is already on a flight to Ecuador. Among the leaks already released (in encrypted form) is compromising information on affluent connected individuals, and Assange probably told the British govt. about that material--enough to be credible, effectively issuing a powerful threat against any hostile action taken against him.

    However, the British govt. has to, of course, save face, and not appear like a bunch of weak schmucks in front of the whole world. Of course, even with the story it's released about the UK police forces being afraid of Ecuador, it's already done that

  4. #34
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,857

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    It appears now to be official (breaking news banner on U.K. edition of Huffington Post)--Ecuador has granted asylum.

  5. #35
    Advisor JRog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-20-12 @ 01:41 PM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    569

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Why would they drop charges? He (allegedly) broke the ****ing law. He deserves to never be a free man again. What he (allegedly) did cannot be allowed to go unpunished. People have to know that leaking classified information will end your time as a free person.
    So we should hold him for years without being charged (against the law), and subject him to psychological and physical tortures (against the law) to punish him for breaking the law....

  6. #36
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    What's totally mind-boggling is why the British govt. hasn't simply invaded the Ecuadorian embassy to arrest him. Doesn't make sense as to why it has anything to fear from a Third World hole like Mississippi, uh, I mean Ecuador.

    Only logical explanation is that Assange, in fact, is not simply being holed up in the embassy as the media reports, but is already on a flight to Ecuador. Among the leaks already released (in encrypted form) is compromising information on affluent connected individuals, and Assange probably told the British govt. about that material--enough to be credible, effectively issuing a powerful threat against any hostile action taken against him.

    However, the British govt. has to, of course, save face, and not appear like a bunch of weak schmucks in front of the whole world. Of course, even with the story it's released about the UK police forces being afraid of Ecuador, it's already done that
    They cannot due to treaty agreements. The embassy grounds are considered Ecuadorian territory by treaty. If they did invade then it would be just like invading the country itself and would be considered an act of war. Do you really want ANOTHER war going on?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    The US military is a joke. It wouldn't matter whether "secret" information about it or its operations were revealed. Either way, it's incompetent bloated butt will be kicked out of Afghanistan.

    Then hopefully, taxpayers can get some sleep
    The US military could kick any one countries butt....we might have trouble with China but only because they have the numbers on their side...we have the technology.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #38
    Professor
    FinnMacCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Shore of Long Island.
    Last Seen
    03-12-15 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,272

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Why would they drop charges? He (allegedly) broke the ****ing law. He deserves to never be a free man again. What he (allegedly) did cannot be allowed to go unpunished. People have to know that leaking classified information will end your time as a free person.
    True he broke the law, but why did he do it? People were killed and it was covered up. He revealed the cover up.
    "Idealists foolish enough to throw caution to the winds have advanced mankind and have enriched the world.

    "The political arena leaves one no alternative, one must either be a dunce or a rogue. "

    "The motto should not be: Forgive one another; rather understand one another. "
    -Emma Goldman

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    They cannot due to treaty agreements. The embassy grounds are considered Ecuadorian territory by treaty. If they did invade then it would be just like invading the country itself and would be considered an act of war. Do you really want ANOTHER war going on?
    The British armed forces could make short work of Ecuador, so that war is a non-issue.

  10. #40
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    The US military could kick any one countries butt....we might have trouble with China but only because they have the numbers on their side...we have the technology.
    China also has our technology. It stole it.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •