Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 213

Thread: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

  1. #191
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    And you sound a lot like every other anti-American on this forum.
    It's anti-American to be upset when your country is going down the wrong path? When it steers away from liberty and towards fear and oppression? There is absolutely nothing that Assange or WikiLeaks could do to damage the strength of this country. They can embarrass the individual members of our government, but they're not what the United States is. The whole nation, and our system of democracy and freedom are. When a member of our government does something duplicitous, or harms the integrity of this nation, especially for personal gain, then that person should be exposed, disgraced, and removed. The US government is one of the most powerful organizations in the world. Its actions need to be public and transparent (with a few exceptions, of course, like the positions of troops in hostile territory, which WikiLeaks did not reveal).

    Patriotism isn't pretending that your country never makes mistakes. It's having the courage to oppose your country when it does. That's the only way a nation improves itself and protects itself from corruption and tyranny.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  2. #192
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-13 @ 07:40 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    338

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Ridiculous. You don't investigate a crime over the telephone.
    No - so why don't the Swedish authorities travel to England to interview him?

    They could be there and back in an afternoon?!?!

    What is the problem?

  3. #193
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Yes Pete, because an enemy combatant captured in a war zone is just like some one charged with a crime and extradited. Oh wait, they not not just alike...
    Quite a number of "enemy combatants" at GITMO were no where near a warzone. People have been grabbed off streets and airports ranging from Canada, Ghana and several European cities. Quite a few of these "enemy combatants" were actually grabbed in Pakistan.

    Let's face it, Assange doesn't want to face possible criminal charges for his actions and so he is trading on his fame and building this paranoid fantasy that those of you jealous of the US are just buying into.
    The US government has floated the idea that they want him.. that is enough for him and for me. I dont like Assange, I think he is a creap, but like it or not, the Swedish prosecutor is just as much to blame for the situation. She wants to question him... but refuses to do it in London. All this could go away if she did her ****ing job. But no, this has become a political football in Sweden, where the law that she wants to use to put Assange in jail, is very very controversial.
    PeteEU

  4. #194
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    02-17-13 @ 07:40 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    338

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Yes Pete, because an enemy combatant captured in a war zone is just like some one charged with a crime and extradited. Oh wait, they not not just alike...

    Let's face it, Assange doesn't want to face possible criminal charges for his actions and so he is trading on his fame and building this paranoid fantasy that those of you jealous of the US are just buying into.
    WTF are you on about?
    Let's get a few facts straight:

    Assange has not been charged with any crime, but the Vice President calls him a terrorist
    Bradley Manning has been imprisoned for over 800 days without trial
    David Hicks was convicted of a crime that did not exist when he was captured
    The USA tortures people.
    The USA executes people.

    The US justice system is 100% dodgy. The USA cannot be trusted.

    Of course Assange wants to avoid it.
    THe USA is a rogue state.

  5. #195
    Guru

    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,498

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyloveafight View Post
    No - so why don't the Swedish authorities travel to England to interview him?
    It's only a guess but maybe for legal reasons they can't or don't want to arrest and charge him prior to interviewing him. If they did this in England, they wouldn't be able to arrest him immediately after the interview - they'd then have to apply for extradition. This would give him the opportunity to flee and he has clearly demonstrated he is a flight risk.

    The fact remains that they have the legal right to request his extradition for questioning and the UK has the responsibility to respond to that request. Assange has alleged that he is at risk of being sent on the the USA if extradited to Sweden but hasn't been able to provide any evidence of that risk (certainly not to satisfy the UK courts).

    The supporters of Assange's actions and Ecuador's response are basically saying that all anyone needs to do is claim there is some risk and they should be allowed an exception to the laws as written. That would be a dangerous president, ironically the kind of president that governments are accused of using to circumvent the law when they want. Assange is no better than the people he opposes.

  6. #196
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyloveafight View Post
    No - so why don't the Swedish authorities travel to England to interview him?

    They could be there and back in an afternoon?!?!

    What is the problem?
    Because you don't get special treatment just because you're a hero to the anti-American left. Only in the wet dreams of the Far Left does that happen.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  7. #197
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Quite a number of "enemy combatants" at GITMO were no where near a warzone. People have been grabbed off streets and airports ranging from Canada, Ghana and several European cities. Quite a few of these "enemy combatants" were actually grabbed in Pakistan.



    The US government has floated the idea that they want him.. that is enough for him and for me. I dont like Assange, I think he is a creap, but like it or not, the Swedish prosecutor is just as much to blame for the situation. She wants to question him... but refuses to do it in London. All this could go away if she did her ****ing job. But no, this has become a political football in Sweden, where the law that she wants to use to put Assange in jail, is very very controversial.
    Look on the bright side. It gives you the opportunity to trot out your anti-american vitriol every time the subject comes up. I'm just disappointed there's no reference to 'Gitmo' in this post.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  8. #198
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    It's anti-American to be upset when your country is going down the wrong path? When it steers away from liberty and towards fear and oppression? There is absolutely nothing that Assange or WikiLeaks could do to damage the strength of this country. They can embarrass the individual members of our government, but they're not what the United States is. The whole nation, and our system of democracy and freedom are. When a member of our government does something duplicitous, or harms the integrity of this nation, especially for personal gain, then that person should be exposed, disgraced, and removed. The US government is one of the most powerful organizations in the world. Its actions need to be public and transparent (with a few exceptions, of course, like the positions of troops in hostile territory, which WikiLeaks did not reveal).

    Patriotism isn't pretending that your country never makes mistakes. It's having the courage to oppose your country when it does. That's the only way a nation improves itself and protects itself from corruption and tyranny.
    That's the difference between you and me. You are willing to turn the diplomatic secrets of this country over to an Australian rapist and let him make the decisions as to what gets released and what doesn't. I'm not.

    Patriotism isn't trashing your country at every opportunity and siding with those who wish it to fail, either.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  9. #199
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Because you don't get special treatment just because you're a hero to the anti-American left. Only in the wet dreams of the Far Left does that happen.
    I would say he is getting special treatment now. They are paying 500K USD pounds per week for security and is threatening to storm the embassy and destroy their relationship with Latin America for a guy that used no condom during sex.

  10. #200
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Julian Assange will be granted asylum, says official

    He gave a great speech a couple days ago. Its about time we stand up for freedom, democracy, and transparency. All fundamental to a correctly function democracy.


Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •