Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Egypt leader Morsi orders army chief Tantawi to resign

  1. #11
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Egypt leader Morsi orders army chief Tantawi to resign

    Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    We are going in circles here, but to be succinct, the Egyptian economy needs more than a change of government to improve.
    And I never said otherwise, however the change in government may result in the changes in the economy that will let it grow. Changes that were not going to occur under the old government
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    10-13-12 @ 02:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,556

    Re: Egypt leader Morsi orders army chief Tantawi to resign

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    And I never said otherwise, however the change in government may result in the changes in the economy that will let it grow. Changes that were not going to occur under the old government


    ... so .... things in Egypt can't go on like this with Mubarak ... and they didn't

    they got worse!

  3. #13
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Egypt leader Morsi orders army chief Tantawi to resign

    Quote Originally Posted by Mya View Post
    ... so .... things in Egypt can't go on like this with Mubarak ... and they didn't

    they got worse!
    in the short term due to the chaos and uncertainty of the protests of course. That does not mean that in the mid to long term that things will nit get better
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,363

    Re: Egypt leader Morsi orders army chief Tantawi to resign

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    in the short term due to the chaos and uncertainty of the protests of course. That does not mean that in the mid to long term that things will nit get better
    Well like John Keynes said: " The the long term we are all dead".

    That being said, it is great to hear your optimism, though not sure what is is based on. Certainly not any facts since the revolution.

  5. #15
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: Egypt leader Morsi orders army chief Tantawi to resign

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    The Egyptian economy is a fair bit behind that of the Turkish one, but that means quick gains are easier to be made. Egypt has gas reserves, plentiful water if they improved irrigation. If they actuall start to educate the population, they could become a manufacturing base in the region.

    If secular governments are reason for economic gains then Egypt should have advanced over the last 30 years rather then stagnate
    I have my doubts that anyone representing the Muslim Brotherhood will bother to educate the populace. Smart people have a habit of disagreeing with the MB. Perhaps the military has overstepped it's bounds, but at this juncture I see it as a stabilizing influence. When the government is no longer ruled by radicals, that would be the time for the military to take a back seat.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  6. #16
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Egypt leader Morsi orders army chief Tantawi to resign

    Quote Originally Posted by EagleAye View Post
    I have my doubts that anyone representing the Muslim Brotherhood will bother to educate the populace. Smart people have a habit of disagreeing with the MB. Perhaps the military has overstepped it's bounds, but at this juncture I see it as a stabilizing influence. When the government is no longer ruled by radicals, that would be the time for the military to take a back seat.
    The military is who held power for the last 30 years, it did nothing to improve the economy, it failed to educate the egyptian people, it failed. The current government may or may not be better, but at least now there is an opportunity when there was not one before
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  7. #17
    Sage
    EagleAye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    03-28-13 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,697

    Re: Egypt leader Morsi orders army chief Tantawi to resign

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    The military is who held power for the last 30 years, it did nothing to improve the economy, it failed to educate the egyptian people, it failed. The current government may or may not be better, but at least now there is an opportunity when there was not one before
    Mubarak held power for the last 30 years. The military just worked for him. When the MB steps in and the first thing they want to do is attack Israel, it tells me straight away that the education and well being of the Egyptian people is very low on their priority list. The LAST thing that Egypt needs now is a war with a foe no one in the middle-east has ever defeated. If Egypt's economy is wrecked, fighting someone who could damage it even further is the last thing Egypt needs. It seems to me, that when Egypt's military refuses to attack Israel, they're the one's thinking with a clear head.
    Check out my Blog http://momusnews.wordpress.com/
    Sherry's Photography site: http://www.sheywicklundphotos.com/

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,635

    Re: Egypt leader Morsi orders army chief Tantawi to resign

    Course the Muslim Brotherhood was founded by the middle class, educated men. Education isn't the enemy of the Brotherhood, it has always been the enemy of authoritarian governments, be they the 'gentle hand' of a British protectorate, or a series of militarily backed strongmen. Since 1945 the strongman military cabal has 'lead' Egypt, I can't say they have made educating the masses, expanding the economic base, or been overly peaceful with Israel, well until a series of beat downs and loss of Soviet support left them little choice....

    "Independent" editors and peaceful strongmen are very subjective terms I am thinking...

  9. #19
    User Gr33kElite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 10:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    11

    Re: Egypt leader Morsi orders army chief Tantawi to resign

    This is clearly a tense stance between the political and military sphere. Now that the Muslim Brotherhood has made themselves clear on a few touchy points, such as Israel and US.
    Once the Muslim Brotherhood has control of the military, once again Egypt will be under a political vacuum. Let's not also forget the non-Muslims, Coptics’ and Jews that are living in the region...
    History reenacts itself and it is funny that we never learn from it...

  10. #20
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,363

    Re: Egypt leader Morsi orders army chief Tantawi to resign

    Quote Originally Posted by Gr33kElite View Post
    This is clearly a tense stance between the political and military sphere. Now that the Muslim Brotherhood has made themselves clear on a few touchy points, such as Israel and US.
    Once the Muslim Brotherhood has control of the military, once again Egypt will be under a political vacuum. Let's not also forget the non-Muslims, Coptics’ and Jews that are living in the region...
    History reenacts itself and it is funny that we never learn from it...
    Glad you mentioned the Coptics. I have a friend who has relatives in Egypt. He says they all want to leave, but it is not easy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •