Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 258

Thread: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens[W:150]

  1. #111
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,932

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    If by "ideology" you mean "obeying federal civil rights laws," then yes, you can count me guilty as charged.



    You haven't even presented any explanation of why this is best for individuals, aside from "z0mg everyone will idolize the pregnant girl!!!1" And in any case, the school's assessment for what's best for individuals doesn't give them the authority to violate federal civil rights laws. If they want to do that, they can stop taking government money and become a private school.
    You havent so much as presented where ANYONE outside of the ACLU has even expressed concern about this as a problem. There is a REASON why Charter Schools are springing up. Do you even have the first clue about the parish, about the existing public schools and the problems they faced prior to the establishment of the charter schools? Schools which, BTW, people have to CHOOSE to even TRY to get into and have to qualify to be accepted into? They are trying to make a difference. In many cases they ARE making a difference. Lord knows we cant have that.

  2. #112
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 07:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You havent so much as presented where ANYONE outside of the ACLU has even expressed concern about this as a problem.
    I've expressed concern about this as a problem myself. As have a number of other people in this thread. And as taxpayers, we have reason to be outraged when our government funds discrimination and violates civil rights laws.

    There is a REASON why Charter Schools are springing up. Do you even have the first clue about the parish, about the existing public schools and the problems they faced prior to the establishment of the charter schools? Schools which, BTW, people have to CHOOSE to even TRY to get into and have to qualify to be accepted into? They are trying to make a difference. In many cases they ARE making a difference. Lord knows we cant have that.
    Well they'll have to make a difference within the requirements of civil rights laws, or cease taking government money. They aren't special.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens | Fox News
    US School Forces Pregnancy Tests On Girls, Excluding Those Who Are Pregnant Or Refuse
    Get Tested Or Get Out: School Forces Pregnancy Tests on Girls, Kicks out Students Who Refuse or are Pregnant


    Wow, this is terrible. It's a blatant violation of Title IX and it's gender discrimination, pure and simple. And it's made worse by the fact that this is a PUBLIC charter school in Louisiana.
    I'm sure it will turn out to be a violation of something, however, as my second child is about to cross the threshold into her teen years, I look back on the experience of our first teen and think, it's all about clear boundaries and consequences. Unacceptable behavior is just that--sex, partying, drugs, alcohol etc must have its consequences.

    There are the family rules.

    The school rules.

    And the state law.

    Every teenager should be clear on what they are and what the consequences are. I like the philosophy of this Charter School--if you're not disciplined enough to abstain from sex or at least practice protected sex (as long as you're the legal age of consent) then you really aren't focused on getting your education. The Charter School should be seen as a privilege and not a right--you make a choice to got there. They do receive public funds, so this policy may be problematic.

    I'm sure you're right, there are legal issues, but I agree with sentiment of behavior expectations, boundaries, and consequences.

  4. #114
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,932

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I've expressed concern about this as a problem myself. As have a number of other people in this thread. And as taxpayers, we have reason to be outraged when our government funds discrimination and violates civil rights laws.



    Well they'll have to make a difference within the requirements of civil rights laws, or cease taking government money. They aren't special.
    I disagree. They actually are working to make a difference. They are 'special'. And you continue to prove this is nothing more than a charade for you...its a pet...a cause. You have yet to speak word one about the students, their circumstance, and the positive changes the schools are working to achieve. Thats...sad.

  5. #115
    Sage

    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Over that way
    Last Seen
    06-18-18 @ 12:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,568

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    When I read this article at first I was pretty was strongly against this. After reading through the forum I am far less against it and I think it does make some sense.
    “I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being, first and foremost, and as such I'm for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole.”


  6. #116
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 02:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    A disparate impact on females? Are you implying that women have no choice when it comes to having sex? Even if that were the case, do you think it is wise to base law upon the technological abilities of a prosecutor to determine who the co-conspirators to a crime are before convicting someone caught with a smoking gun in their hands?

    Your position would result in no convictions of criminals who had co-conspirators if the co-conspirator can’t be found and convicted. The fact that there was likely a male participant has no relevance to whether the female violated the agreement that she signed with the school.
    Leave it to Louisiana to find a way to dumb down their own citizens. Instead of providing classes that teach sex education to prevent unwanted pregnancies, they are taking the opposite approach, make them even dumber. I'm surprised that Republican/conservatives would side with the school, since most conservatives claim to be so conscientious of the Constitution. I guess only when it pertains to their own views, eh? I bet if Bristol Palin had been kicked out of school for being pregnant, they would be singing a different tune.

    The policy’s complete disregard for Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the federal law that prohibits sex discrimination in federally funded education programs and activities, is astonishing. Title IX and its regulations explicitly mandate that schools cannot exclude any student from an education program or activity, “including any class or extracurricular activity, on the basis of such student’s pregnancy, childbirth, false pregnancy, termination of pregnancy or recovery therefrom.”
    Besides violating Title IX, the policy is also in violation of the Constitution’s due process right to procreate, and equal protection: it treats female students differently from male students and relies on archaic stereotypes linked to sex and pregnancy.
    Approximately 70 percent of teen girls who give birth leave school, due in part to illegal discrimination. Schools should be supporting pregnant and parenting teens that face numerous barriers to completing their education, not illegally excluding them from school. The ACLU’s Women’s Rights Project protects the rights of pregnant and parenting teens through advocacy, education, and litigation, working to combat the push-out of pregnant and parenting teens from school.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  7. #117
    Sage

    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Over that way
    Last Seen
    06-18-18 @ 12:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,568

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    I agree that discrimination is wrong for things that a person cannot control. However, you can control whether or not you get pregnant for the most part.
    “I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being, first and foremost, and as such I'm for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole.”


  8. #118
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,922

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    I agree that discrimination is wrong for things that a person cannot control. However, you can control whether or not you get pregnant for the most part.
    However, what are they discriminating against?

    Teenage sex? Apparently not, unless we're assuming only females have sex.

    Teenage pregnancy? Apparently not, unless we're assuming females can typically become pregnant independent from a male component

    The actual physical state of being pregnant? That's something where it'd be reasonable to say it would only apply to the female, but then the question goes why are you attempting to discriminate against the physical state itself?
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.
    "One of the greatest human failings is to prefer to be right than to be effective" - Stephen Fry

  9. #119
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Actually in La. many of the charter schools were also private schools that applied to receive chater status. It has been on the local news a lot over the last few months. If the state has problems with a particular school, don't issue or allow charter status.
    As I've explained many times, and shown, charter schools are part of the local public school district, are non-profit, are public schools in every way but for the allowed exemptions. They are allowed certain exemptions, one of which is that they may choose to structure as non-union. This pisses the unions off and thus they are fond of conflating privatised schools with charter schools.

    Disallowing pregnant teens is not one of those exemptions, especially in California. As mentioned before, I happen to know the Master teacher who develops most of the charters for the state. He has confirmed there is no such exemption.

    They'll be on the hook to the feds and the state on this policy decision.

  10. #120
    Sage

    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Over that way
    Last Seen
    06-18-18 @ 12:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,568

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    However, what are they discriminating against?

    Teenage sex? Apparently not, unless we're assuming only females have sex.

    Teenage pregnancy? Apparently not, unless we're assuming females can typically become pregnant independent from a male component

    The actual physical state of being pregnant? That's something where it'd be reasonable to say it would only apply to the female, but then the question goes why are you attempting to discriminate against the physical state itself?
    The article doesn't say they can't come back once they finish the pregnancy. Perhaps they feel like a pregnant child is not able to have the attendance needed to ensure their education needs are met. Preganent students could be a distraction. Other students could be influenced by her and her decisions. I am sure there is more than what I listed. But the bottom line is a student being pregnant could negatively effect her education, and the education and choices of those around her.

    Would you have a problem with people not attending the school who were on trial for breaking the law or make other poor life choices that would or could potentially adversely effect their education and those around them? Would you want your teenage son or daughter being influenced by people making these types of decisions if you had the option?
    Last edited by Kreton; 08-08-12 at 04:02 PM.
    “I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being, first and foremost, and as such I'm for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole.”


Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •