Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 258

Thread: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens[W:150]

  1. #101
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    There's no doubt that this policy won't fly and that's the point I'm making.

    The fuax outrage over this is just another chance for the hand-wringers to beat up on fill in your favorite politically incorrect group here
    Many of the charter schools are actually creating positive changes in their communities with standards and expectations that are higher than typical failing public schools. Well...I guess we cant have that. Im sure by the time we are finished we will happily drive them all back to mediocrity and then the lawyers will go back to DC and ignore the poverty and other problems they are currently facing and trying to overcome. Thats the part that does drive me a bit crazy. No one gave even a little bit of a damn about the failing schools, the failing communities, the higher than average poverty. God forbid someone actually attempt to CHANGE that. Their values and priorities are all KINDS of ****ed up...

  2. #102
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    The school doesn't actually have a problem, de jure, with being a parent, only the pregnancy itself. The women/girls can return to the attending normal classes after they have the child. So the whole "father's aren't being punished" thing is not only idiotic, it's completely baseless.
    Well that's the whole point. The fathers aren't being punished at all, only the mothers are. Are the fathers removed from school during the pregnancy? No.

    But don't let reality get in the way of a "good" talking points, and in liberal cant any kind of sex/race based bull**** is a "good talking a point" .
    It's a violation of federal civil rights laws, as outlined previously. Publicly-funded schools cannot discriminate against someone on the basis of either gender or pregnancy. And mandating a pregnancy test is an unlawful search and seizure.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #103
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    They arent BEING kicked out...they are being given a home study course while they are pregnant. Is reading not your strong suit?
    And Title IX specifically prohibits that on the basis of pregnancy, unless the student VOLUNTEERS to participate in a home study course. Is reading not your strong suit?

    As for the ****ing HILARIOUS misogyny comment...this isnt ABOUT attacking women, it is about a SCHOOL actually...now...hang on...trying to HELP a community of people CHANGE from well below the poverty line and below average levels of academic achievement to ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING about bringing about change.
    And how does banning pregnant girls in violation of federal civil rights laws factor into that?

    Shocking...right? Not a bunch of worthless POS lawyers running around bleating about 'rights'..people in the trenches actually DOING something about it. **** that...cant have that. We should let people like you drive them back to mediocrity all in the name of fairness and their 'rights'...rights which...shockingly...NONE OF THEM actually seem to be bothered by. Hmmm...must be the actual STUDENTS and community members WANT higher standards and positive changes for their kids.
    I, as a federal taxpayer whose money funds this school, have a problem with discrimination. And I would venture to say that someone in or associated with the school has a problem with it too, or the ACLU and the media would never have found out about it.

    If you want to be able to discriminate and ban female students who get pregnant, you're going to need to first repeal Title IX, the 14th amendment, and the 4th amendment...then you can implement all the bigoted policies against women you want. Get back to me after you've done that, but as it stands now, the school is in violation of federal law.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #104
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Many of the charter schools are actually creating positive changes in their communities with standards and expectations that are higher than typical failing public schools. Well...I guess we cant have that. Im sure by the time we are finished we will happily drive them all back to mediocrity and then the lawyers will go back to DC and ignore the poverty and other problems they are currently facing and trying to overcome. Thats the part that does drive me a bit crazy. No one gave even a little bit of a damn about the failing schools, the failing communities, the higher than average poverty. God forbid someone actually attempt to CHANGE that. Their values and priorities are all KINDS of ****ed up...
    Still waiting for you to explain how actually educating pregnant teenagers is "driving them back to mediocrity." It seems to me that it does precisely the opposite.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #105
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Still waiting for you to explain how actually educating pregnant teenagers is "driving them back to mediocrity." It seems to me that it does precisely the opposite.
    They arent preventing or ceasing the education of pregnant teenagers. They are ensuring the student body does not see teen pregnancy as an acceptable and has become the case in many places DESIRED state. They are a school working to make a difference. You are...not. You bleat about 'rights' but dont truly give a **** about any of them. You didnt care about them before this became a news story and you wont care about them after its over. You dont care about their living circumstances, their employment and education opportunities or their future. You care about one thing...this ideological concept called a 'right'. Once this is resolved you will never give these people a second thought. meanwhile...the school and its administrators and staff will still be right there working to make a difference and you will move on to the next celeb cause du joir.

  6. #106
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    They arent preventing or ceasing the education of pregnant teenagers.
    Title IX prohibits them from forcing pregnant teenagers into alternate programs. So yes, they are.

    They are ensuring the student body does not see teen pregnancy as an acceptable and has become the case in many places DESIRED state.
    I don't know where you went to school, but pregnant girls in my high school were hardly idolized. Many students were cruel to them and called them sluts, because apparently they didn't have enough problems already. Other students were nice to them, but basically felt sorry for them. I don't know of anyone who thought "I wish I could be like that!" That's mostly just a moral panic concocted by the media.

    They are a school working to make a difference. You are...not. You bleat about 'rights' but dont truly give a **** about any of them. You didnt care about them before this became a news story and you wont care about them after its over. You dont care about their living circumstances, their employment and education opportunities or their future. You care about one thing...this ideological concept called a 'right'.
    First of all, let's not pretend that YOU gave a damn about any of them; you didn't even know this school existed until I posted this thread. And to answer your accusation: Yes, I am against discrimination and violations of federal civil rights laws. That doesn't mean I can't be against poverty too.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #107
    Student E-M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    09-03-12 @ 03:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    160

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    I tried to post this last night but my internet decided it wasn't going to work anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    The statistic is so low, it is safe to assume that whatever girl was being mentioned knew all the guys she slept with, at least if not by First Middle and Last name, then at least by his thug "jump-up" name (Itz yo baby, Biggy T!) And that is why, specifically, your outrage over the 1% chance that she was legitimately raped by someone she didn't know is highly over the top.
    GPS_Flex simply said that if a girl didn't know who she had sex with she shouldn't be in a charter school. I can't find the statistics on this but I can't imagine juvenile sex between 100% strangers, who never share their identities, is consensual anywhere close to 99% of the time. Most cases I know of where a girl has absolutely no idea who she had sex with it was a result of some sort of rape drug. In that case a girl doesn't need to be a stranger of her rapist to not know who she was raped by. So that little statistic of yours means absolutely nothing.

    But that is also because it isn't a statics at all, it is a complete lie. Rapes among juveniles are committed by complete strangers 7% of the time (of course you weren't talking about juvenile rape specifically, and the average rate of rape by strangers is 33%). For a crime as serious as rape 7% can not be treated as a bizarre outlier, it is a relevant statistic. Especially considering 44% of all sexual assault is among juveniles, the demographic we are mainly talking about.

    Statistics | RAINN | Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network

    Facts and logic aren't on your side.

    Its time to stop acting like asking woman to be responsible is sexism.
    I doubt there is a massive portion of girls who have no idea who they had sex with because they just didn't care to know. That goes completely against the prevailing sociological data on the sexual attitudes and tendencies of girls. Males are much more likely to be having casual sex and are obviously almost exclusively the ones raping people (I'm not saying those two are connected). Thus while males are the ones primarily pushing for sex without attachments they are the ones who are not being burdened. One would think the physical stress of pregnancy would be enough, but now we are throwing girls the stress of loosing their education.

    So the group that is, by all measures, least responsible is the only one being punished for irresponsibility. It absolutely is sexism to look at girls who are still minors and expect them to shoulder the entire burden for the consensual and non-consensual sexual activity that occurs around them. It is absolutely sexism when we go looking for new reasons to punish them, especially when we aren't even trying to find the fathers (who also might be able to threaten girls into silence).

    Ignoring facts and logic to exclusively blame women for things men are more responsible for is basically the definition of sexism.
    Disclaimer: I am not a democrat, liberal, or Obama supporter and I will not be voting for them. If you want to respond to one of my critiques of the right-wing with 'well Obama did that same thing' you have found yourself in the wrong place. Now lets stop with all the "classic misdirection" and actually debate each other.

  8. #108
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    The school doesn't actually have a problem, de jure, with being a parent, only the pregnancy itself. The women/girls can return to the attending normal classes after they have the child. So the whole "father's aren't being punished" thing is not only idiotic, it's completely baseless. But don't let reality get in the way of a "good" talking points, and in liberal cant any kind of sex/race based bull**** is a "good talking a point" .
    So it's not getting pregnant, it's not underaged sex....the'yre punishing the girl for the act of physically having a fetus inside her essentially? That's your argument? And that's the argument you think is showing that this is okay?

  9. #109
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,715

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Title IX prohibits them from forcing pregnant teenagers into alternate programs. So yes, they are.



    I don't know where you went to school, but pregnant girls in my high school were hardly idolized. Many students were cruel to them and called them sluts, because apparently they didn't have enough problems already. Other students were nice to them, but basically felt sorry for them. I don't know of anyone who thought "I wish I could be like that!" That's mostly just a moral panic concocted by the media.



    First of all, let's not pretend that YOU gave a damn about any of them; you didn't even know this school existed until I posted this thread. And to answer your accusation: Yes, I am against discrimination and violations of federal civil rights laws. That doesn't mean I can't be against poverty too.
    No...I didnt know they existed. They did. They know the problem exists and they are actually working to change them. But people like you are going to rescue them from themselves...not because you care about the school or even the students. No...you care about an ideology.

    We do similar things. We are sent people from the county providers...people that have been in the system a good portion of their lives and people the county has warehoused and thrown ineffective 'treatment' at til they finally give up on them. Then as soon as we start seeing progress the county swoops back in and says we have to do things their way...the same way that got them so horribly ****ed up in the first place. No...I dont know that school. Hey...I dont even know of any of their students because from all of the articles I read on it, no students or families had ever complained about the policy. But I do understand the systems. And I understand people sticking their beak in with no intent of whats best for individuals.

  10. #110
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: School policy forces students to take pregnancy tests, bans pregnant teens

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    No...I didnt know they existed. They did. They know the problem exists and they are actually working to change them. But people like you are going to rescue them from themselves...not because you care about the school or even the students. No...you care about an ideology.
    If by "ideology" you mean "obeying federal civil rights laws," then yes, you can count me guilty as charged.

    We do similar things. We are sent people from the county providers...people that have been in the system a good portion of their lives and people the county has warehoused and thrown ineffective 'treatment' at til they finally give up on them. Then as soon as we start seeing progress the county swoops back in and says we have to do things their way...the same way that got them so horribly ****ed up in the first place. No...I dont know that school. Hey...I dont even know of any of their students because from all of the articles I read on it, no students or families had ever complained about the policy. But I do understand the systems. And I understand people sticking their beak in with no intent of whats best for individuals.
    You haven't even presented any explanation of why this is best for individuals, aside from "z0mg everyone will idolize the pregnant girl!!!1" And in any case, the school's assessment for what's best for individuals doesn't give them the authority to violate federal civil rights laws. If they want to do that, they can stop taking government money and become a private school.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •