Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Blogger Giving Advice Resists State’s: Get a License

  1. #31
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Blogger Giving Advice Resists State’s: Get a License

    I think this delves into the interesting question, and one that hasn't been touched on by the courts in quite some time, of what the threshold is for fraud vs. free speech. Is it my right to lie and claim I am an attorney or a doctor by asserting my right to free speech? Am I infringing on the rights of the American Bar Association or the American Medical Association by doing so? How did they acquire the right to define what is a lawyer and a doctor, and furthermore why do I need their approval to perform any of the aforementioned jobs if I can find someone willing to accept my services? This can go on and on. I don't necessarily agree with even one point raised, but I think it is an interesting line of reasoning and questioning that is a good exercise in determining if there even should be limits on free speech.

  2. #32
    Revolutionary
    TNAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,018
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Blogger Giving Advice Resists State’s: Get a License

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123
    How did they acquire the right to define what is a lawyer and a doctor, and furthermore why do I need their approval to perform any of the aforementioned jobs if I can find someone willing to accept my services?
    It's not quite that cut and dry, but I think you hit the nail on the head. The answer has much to do with the fascist/crony-capitalist system of laws which regulate these industries. However, most people will claim professionals need licenses "to protect us".

  3. #33
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Blogger Giving Advice Resists State’s: Get a License

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Licensed politicians would be hard to get
    considering they know their incompetence and they are the ones who would have to get it passed it will never happen.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  4. #34
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Blogger Giving Advice Resists State’s: Get a License

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    I dont understand the issue. If someone is taking medical advice from a blog rather than a dr for a serious medical condition chances are they too stupid to make good choices whether this blog exists or not.
    Yeah, but we now live in a nanny state, where the gubmint gets to tell us what's good for us and what isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #35
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,828

    Re: Blogger Giving Advice Resists State’s: Get a License

    Quote Originally Posted by TNAR View Post
    Again, I'm not suggesting an end to occupational licensing. I simply allege that government licensing is generally counterproductive and arbitrary. Pilots get a commercial license with only 250 hours of flight experience. As far as the government is concerned, these pilots are qualified to fly people around for compensation. No company in its right mind would hire a pilot with only 250 hours experience and put him in a command position. It is the industry which self-regulates.
    Bull**** it does. Lots of people get hired at 250. Airlines are not the only employers of pilots.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #36
    Revolutionary
    TNAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,018
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Blogger Giving Advice Resists State’s: Get a License

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Bull**** it does. Lots of people get hired at 250. Airlines are not the only employers of pilots.
    Notice I said "command position", implying any position in a Part 119 or 135 or similar field. 250 hour pilots get hired as an instructor (how scary is that) or an ag pilot or perhaps a government position.

  7. #37
    Student francois60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Last Seen
    02-12-15 @ 03:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    251

    Re: Blogger Giving Advice Resists State’s: Get a License

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    I think this delves into the interesting question, and one that hasn't been touched on by the courts in quite some time, of what the threshold is for fraud vs. free speech. Is it my right to lie and claim I am an attorney or a doctor by asserting my right to free speech? Am I infringing on the rights of the American Bar Association or the American Medical Association by doing so? How did they acquire the right to define what is a lawyer and a doctor, and furthermore why do I need their approval to perform any of the aforementioned jobs if I can find someone willing to accept my services? This can go on and on. I don't necessarily agree with even one point raised, but I think it is an interesting line of reasoning and questioning that is a good exercise in determining if there even should be limits on free speech.
    Also, people give out medical advice all the time despite not being doctors. Is the act of doing so over the internet the key difference? I would say that the only time it should be illegal is when you're doing it for profit.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •