Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Blogger Giving Advice Resists State’s: Get a License

  1. #21
    Student francois60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Coral Springs, FL
    Last Seen
    02-12-15 @ 03:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    251

    Re: Blogger Giving Advice Resists State’s: Get a License

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Just got to say, the licensing of barbers and beautitians (? not sure what to call them) is due to more than a bad haircut. Scalps can be permanently damaged, not to mention beauticians works with some highly corrosive and deadly chemicals that when used improperly can cause all sorts of problems.
    That can happen, but does it? Barbers do not require licenses everywhere, before restrictions are put in place there should be studies done on whether the lack of licensing increases the likelihood of harm to consumers.

    British barbers really want licensing bad, but is there anyone else who thinks there's a major problem with scalp damage in Britain?

    British Barbers' Association

    In the US, all states except Alabama require licensing of barbers. Which means that if this is a vital thing to do, we should be able to observe an issue in Alabama.
    Last edited by francois60; 08-07-12 at 01:31 PM.

  2. #22
    Revolutionary
    TNAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,018
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Blogger Giving Advice Resists State’s: Get a License

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640
    I would rather have the gov't do the regulating than a "private" industry group, since the gov't is (in theory) under the control of the people, rather than only their CHOSEN members, but still prefer gov't inspectors rather than up front certification where possible. The reason to have a licensed "professional" is often simply to keep the total number "in the club" limitted by the club itself, thereby guaranteeing a VERY profitable supply/demand ratio REMAINS in place or to REQUIRE paying extremely high "dues" (to the club, of course) to get into and stay in the club.
    This certainly makes sense if taken at face value and I don't blame you for believing this. My favorite example of private oversight is the electronics industry. Have you ever heard of Underwriter's Laboratory or Consumer Electronics? If you pick up a random electronic gizmo from around the house, you will likely see a UL and/or CE stamped on the bottom where all of the manufacturing information is located. These are private companies which have established various standards for electronics manufacturers. UL has been around since the late 19th century and is active in almost 100 nations! Manufacturers voluntarily comply with the standards established by companies such as these and are then allowed to place these emblems on their products. These labels allow consumers to know that a particular product is safe according to an established standard.

    This is done in many industries and is fully capable of being applied to all industries. Doctors, pilots, barbers, and engineers included.

  3. #23
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Blogger Giving Advice Resists State’s: Get a License

    Quote Originally Posted by TNAR View Post
    This certainly makes sense if taken at face value and I don't blame you for believing this. My favorite example of private oversight is the electronics industry. Have you ever heard of Underwriter's Laboratory or Consumer Electronics? If you pick up a random electronic gizmo from around the house, you will likely see a UL and/or CE stamped on the bottom where all of the manufacturing information is located. These are private companies which have established various standards for electronics manufacturers. UL has been around since the late 19th century and is active in almost 100 nations! Manufacturers voluntarily comply with the standards established by companies such as these and are then allowed to place these emblems on their products. These labels allow consumers to know that a particular product is safe according to an established standard.

    This is done in many industries and is fully capable of being applied to all industries. Doctors, pilots, barbers, and engineers included.
    These are for tangible end-products, not the labor and/or skill that a human must possess to manufacture them. Licensing of the individuals who make the products may or may not require licensing, but it's not automatic. In fact, the fact that many do not require licensing, and still get these coveted seals of approval, backs up the point that licensing is not always necessary... though I would stop short at not requiring licensing where direct physical harm is likely in the event of a failure, i.e.; doctors, engineers, etc.
    Last edited by radcen; 08-07-12 at 03:48 PM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Blogger Giving Advice Resists State’s: Get a License

    For many sectors I like the idea of having licenses in place, that way people who wish to use a licensed individual should have the reasonable expectation of competence, and the ability to sue for a job done poorly

    But, people should be allowed to do the same jobs as unlicensed individuals as long as it is made clear they are unlicensed. Inspections and the like should be performed for both licensed and un licensed
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  5. #25
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Blogger Giving Advice Resists State’s: Get a License

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    For many sectors I like the idea of having licenses in place, that way people who wish to use a licensed individual should have the reasonable expectation of competence, and the ability to sue for a job done poorly
    I like this idea, if it would be applied to politicians. Imagine all the great lawsuits for incompetence. A good way to finally get some accountability in them.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  6. #26
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Blogger Giving Advice Resists State’s: Get a License

    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    I like this idea, if it would be applied to politicians. Imagine all the great lawsuits for incompetence. A good way to finally get some accountability in them.
    Licensed politicians would be hard to get
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  7. #27
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Blogger Giving Advice Resists State’s: Get a License

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    For many sectors I like the idea of having licenses in place, that way people who wish to use a licensed individual should have the reasonable expectation of competence, and the ability to sue for a job done poorly
    Why should license status have any bearing on the right to sue for a job done poorly?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Blogger Giving Advice Resists State’s: Get a License

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Why should license status have any bearing on the right to sue for a job done poorly?

    I should clarify on what I mean by done poorly

    You hire a licensed eletrician and you have an expectation that it will pass the inspection. You hire the local handyman to do the same job, the expectation that it would pass inspection is not at the same level. In this case it is caveat preemptor

    In the first case you have a teasonable expectation of a job well done, in the second, you are taking chances
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  9. #29
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,140

    Re: Blogger Giving Advice Resists State’s: Get a License

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    In some areas that is true, yet do you REALLY want "Homey the Handyman" to be able to tie into the power grid after wiring your new addition with recycled lamp cord? I agree that certification of the person doing the work is a LAZY way out for the gov't, and much prefer gov't inspection (for a reasonable fee) to ensure code compliance. Using only words may still cause harm if the advice given is dangerous or useless (if a fee is charged for it). Example: I advertise on the web a "guaranteed cure for stuttering" in exchange for $50, in return I then Email you the suggested cure as "keep your mouth shut and never talk". ;-)

    Homey's not a handyman, he's a clown. And he don't play dat.



    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #30
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: Blogger Giving Advice Resists State’s: Get a License

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    I should clarify on what I mean by done poorly

    You hire a licensed eletrician and you have an expectation that it will pass the inspection. You hire the local handyman to do the same job, the expectation that it would pass inspection is not at the same level. In this case it is caveat preemptor

    In the first case you have a teasonable expectation of a job well done, in the second, you are taking chances
    Got'cha. Thanks for the clarification.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •