Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 203

Thread: The anti-Chick-fil-A protest - Starbucks [W:39]

  1. #51
    Professor
    Keridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Last Seen
    08-19-17 @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,451

    Re: The anti-Chick-fil-A protest - Starbucks [W:39]

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Totally untrue. Any gay person can marry a person of the opposite sex. That's equal rights right there!
    Yes, they can both marry someone of the opposite gender. No, they can't marry the consenting adult human they are in love with.
    Omniscience just sucks without omnipotence!

  2. #52
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: The anti-Chick-fil-A protest - Starbucks [W:39]

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    That the best you got? Dodging the real issue and creating a strawman about marrying dogs?

    Any time you want to address my links regarding SSM rights, feel free. I'm looking forward to seeing how you'll dodge them.
    I'm still waiting for you to tell me what right I have that gays don't have. You dodging the issue?

    I'm still waiting for you to tell me what right I have that gays don't have. You dodging the issue or can you see that the law applies same to a gay man as it does to a straight man?

    Oh, you are asking for special treatment and to change the laws yet you label our current laws as hate and intolerant?

    You are the intolerant and hateful one if you canít respect the fact that you seek to force what is equivalent to polygamy or incest upon our society in such a forceful and hateful manner.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  3. #53
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,539
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: The anti-Chick-fil-A protest - Starbucks [W:39]

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Children are under the age of consent and animals cannot give consent to marry, so there is a solid legal argument against both.

    Try again.
    Not really. Parents or guardians can consent for the children, so as long as it's OK with them, then... Same thing goes with animals, who are wards of their owners.

    Try again indeed.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  4. #54
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: The anti-Chick-fil-A protest - Starbucks [W:39]

    Quote Originally Posted by Keridan View Post
    Yes, they can both marry someone of the opposite gender. No, they can't marry the consenting adult human they are in love with.
    I can't marry a married woman either can I? But I LOVE HER AND I HAVE A HUMAN RIGHT TO MARRY HER BECAUSE i LOVE HER.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  5. #55
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,539
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: The anti-Chick-fil-A protest - Starbucks [W:39]

    Quote Originally Posted by Keridan View Post
    Yes, they can both marry someone of the opposite gender. No, they can't marry the consenting adult human they are in love with.
    Yeah, but then I can't marry the person I'm in love with if I'm married. So do I have a civil rights case?

    Silly, silly logic. This business of turning same sex marriage into a civil right is bogus.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  6. #56
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: The anti-Chick-fil-A protest - Starbucks [W:39]

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Is it capable of asking for half in the event of a divorce?
    got to think about that one. The key is could you take a dog/spouse as a dependent on your tax returns.

  7. #57
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: The anti-Chick-fil-A protest - Starbucks [W:39]

    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    You asked what rights gay couples don't get that straight couples do.

    I gave you them.

    You just contradicted yourself; first you said there were no rights gay couples don't get, now you're admitting there are rights they don't get per states not letting them allowed to marry.

    YOU get a clue.

    Dude.

    You gave me no examples of any difference in the rights afforded to anyone. A gay man can marry an unmarried woman who is of age and unmarried just as I can. I cannot marry a married woman or another man, gay or not, and neither can the gay man.

    Care to try again?

    What you gave me could be applied to me and my desire to marry my sister.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  8. #58
    Professor
    Keridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Last Seen
    08-19-17 @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,451

    Re: The anti-Chick-fil-A protest - Starbucks [W:39]

    I've already said there is a case to be made for polygamy. However, you still can marry her if she loves you too and chooses to get a divorce.

    There are many decisions a parent is not allowed to make for a child. A pet's owner does not have the right to grant consent for marriage to that animal.

    I can't tell if the inability to make distinctions is intentional here. Is there trolling or are you really unable to understand the differences between your "examples" and the situation at hand?

    Either way, the most direct comparison, which is race, has been decided by SCOTUS. Before SCOTUS said that, one could have made the same weak argument about everyone being able to marry someone of the same color and therefore it was "equal" rights.

    I'm tired and going to bed. I'm comfortable in the knowledge that rational folks are coming around more and more on the subject and that is why the polls continue to show more people in favor of equal rights for LGBT. I'm also fine with not convincing those who were never going to be convinced by logic anyway.
    Omniscience just sucks without omnipotence!

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: The anti-Chick-fil-A protest - Starbucks [W:39]

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    I'm still waiting for you to tell me what right I have that gays don't have. You dodging the issue?

    I'm still waiting for you to tell me what right I have that gays don't have. You dodging the issue or can you see that the law applies same to a gay man as it does to a straight man?

    Oh, you are asking for special treatment and to change the laws yet you label our current laws as hate and intolerant?

    You are the intolerant and hateful one if you canít respect the fact that you seek to force what is equivalent to polygamy or incest upon our society in such a forceful and hateful manner.
    Considering the fact I've already given you two links to lists explaining what rights gays don't have that straight men do, I must conclude that you are doing nothing than stirring up dirt here.

    Either read the goddamn links or don't. But don't keep asking the same question I've already answered.
    Last edited by RadicalModerate; 08-07-12 at 12:13 AM.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Golden City of the Risen Dead
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    4,310

    Re: The anti-Chick-fil-A protest - Starbucks [W:39]

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Not really. Parents or guardians can consent for the children, so as long as it's OK with them, then... Same thing goes with animals, who are wards of their owners.

    Try again indeed.
    Parent/guardians can okay a marriage between teenagers close in age in some states, not children of six or seven.

    I don't know where you got the idea that anyone can marry a pet in any way, even with "owner's consent".
    Last edited by RadicalModerate; 08-07-12 at 12:15 AM.

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •