Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 208

Thread: NASA's rover Curiosity lands on Mars [W:206]

  1. #131
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    01-15-18 @ 01:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    re: NASA's rover Curiosity lands on Mars [W:206]

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    I will say this. No, I don't think science should be limited to that. In fact I love science. In particular, I'm fascinated by space. Ever since I can remember. And I realize science is about discovery, it's about poking around here and there and learning things we didn't before. And most science is never even driven by the promise of concrete practical benefits. To be honest, i'm rather ambivalent towards unmanned probes, as long as they stay at a reasonable price. Further manned exploration, though, I cannot support.

    I think Curiosity will probably teach us a lot about Mars. But, ultimately, I don't think we're going to learn anything that's useful to us. However fascinating, I feel there are more pressing matters here. NASA isn't the worst of the government fat that could be trimmed, but if I got to vote on what I wanted the US budget to look like, I wouldn't put many dollars here.
    It cost less than $380 million a year over an 8 year period to build that probe. What on earth is that money taking away from? This is also the worst kind of mentality I think we face as a civilization. Our future and our potential lies in space.

  2. #132
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    02-22-13 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    203

    re: NASA's rover Curiosity lands on Mars [W:206]

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    I will say this. No, I don't think science should be limited to that. In fact I love science. In particular, I'm fascinated by space. Ever since I can remember. And I realize science is about discovery, it's about poking around here and there and learning things we didn't before. And most science is never even driven by the promise of concrete practical benefits. To be honest, i'm rather ambivalent towards unmanned probes, as long as they stay at a reasonable price. Further manned exploration, though, I cannot support.

    I think Curiosity will probably teach us a lot about Mars. But, ultimately, I don't think we're going to learn anything that's useful to us. However fascinating, I feel there are more pressing matters here. NASA isn't the worst of the government fat that could be trimmed, but if I got to vote on what I wanted the US budget to look like, I wouldn't put many dollars here.
    So what you're saying is... you love science, and understand that it's not always driven by immediate, concrete benefits, but then you say that we shouldn't pursue space travel because it offers us no concrete, practical benefits?



    This is exactly the sort of thinking that got the LHC built in Europe, and the connected concentration of PHDs which spawned the World Wide Web.

  3. #133
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    re: NASA's rover Curiosity lands on Mars [W:206]

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Do you think discovering huge amounts of rare metals and minerals that could be mined in the future would be of benefit? Do you think the discovery of uranium deposits might be rather beneficial?
    Even if there were pure platinum and uranium ingots just lying on the surface of Mars, it would be still be way way way WAY way WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY more expensive to bring them back to Earth than to mine them here.

    Missing Apollo 17 moon rock worth $10m found in Bill Clinton's files | Mail Online

    The (moon) rock, believed to have a black market value of up to $10 million, had been missing since at least 1980 until an archivist found it in old gubernatorial papers.
    And that's a rock with no commercial value. It would cost at least 100X that amount to bring something back from Mars.
    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

  4. #134
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    re: NASA's rover Curiosity lands on Mars [W:206]

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    Admittedly, this could change as our understanding of physics does, but to the best of our current knowledge warp drives ain't going to happen. Personally, I consider the lack of evidence of aliens quickly zipping around from solar system to solar system a la Star Wars/Star Trek as evidence that that sort of travel is impossible and will always remain so. Unfortunately.
    Really sad when you think about it.
    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

  5. #135
    Student
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    02-22-13 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    203

    re: NASA's rover Curiosity lands on Mars [W:206]

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
    Even if there were pure platinum and uranium ingots just lying on the surface of Mars, it would be still be way way way WAY way WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY more expensive to bring them back to Earth than to mine them here.
    There are whole asteriods full of precious materials just orbiting around the solar system. It may be ridiculously expensive now, but if we never try we'll never get the cost down. Look at space tourism. The cost has fallen from the millions of dollars per person to $200,00, and will undoubtedly fall further. Or gene sequencing. The first complete sequencing of a human genome took years, and cost millions. Now the price is just a few thousand dollars a pop. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/08/te...pagewanted=all

  6. #136
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    re: NASA's rover Curiosity lands on Mars [W:206]

    Quote Originally Posted by OnWisconsin View Post
    NASA is not a "Pet" project. It is responsible for most of the communications you take advantage of today. Not to mention inspiring thousands of kids to become something greater than a bag clerk at a grocery store.
    Wrong. Fiber optics is responsible for most of the communications today.

    Optical fiber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Guiding of light by refraction, the principle that makes fiber optics possible, was first demonstrated by Daniel Colladon and Jacques Babinet in Paris in the early 1840s.
    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

  7. #137
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    re: NASA's rover Curiosity lands on Mars [W:206]

    Quote Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
    The benefits generated by the quantum-leap from rudimentary rocket technology to man on the moon in around a decade spawned dozens of new technologies, and several new industries, nevermind the hi-tech jobs created by NASA and its providers.
    Yes I'm sure the US Air Force's I.C.B.M. program benefited greatly from NASA.
    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

  8. #138
    Death2Globalists Matt Foley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ExecuteTheTraitors
    Last Seen
    11-24-12 @ 12:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,574

    re: NASA's rover Curiosity lands on Mars [W:206]

    Quote Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
    There are whole asteriods full of precious materials just orbiting around the solar system. It may be ridiculously expensive now, but if we never try we'll never get the cost down.....
    Not going to happen.
    Globalist = Free Trade, Open Borders, Multiculturalist, Anti-White Racist, Hypocrite, Sophist, Deceiver, Manipulator, Warmonger, Vulgar Culture, Morally Depraved......Enemy

    Death to Globalists

  9. #139
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverOprah
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,615

    re: NASA's rover Curiosity lands on Mars [W:206]

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    well, there is a ton of beachfront property, but the climate sucks and the atmosphere is 95% CO2.
    You see, they all died of global warming.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #140
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    re: NASA's rover Curiosity lands on Mars [W:206]

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    Possible is a slippery word. I think it's more accurate to say that we don't know that it's impossible. Which is different than saying we know it's possible. According to our current understanding of physics, humans will most likely never develop an alcubierre drive, as the energy requirements are absurd in addition to a variety of other problems.

    Admittedly, this could change as our understanding of physics does, but to the best of our current knowledge warp drives ain't going to happen. Personally, I consider the lack of evidence of aliens quickly zipping around from solar system to solar system a la Star Wars/Star Trek as evidence that that sort of travel is impossible and will always remain so. Unfortunately.
    The lack of aliens zipping around that are within the radar sights of humans is not evidence that precludes the possibility of FTL travel, for 2 reasons.

    1) Based on current physics, anything that travels faster than light does not have a real number mass, i. e. it cannot exist under the current notion of existence, and all human radars are only designed to detect objects that are confined to that definition of existence.

    2) Any responsible interstellar civilization (i. e. similar to the fictional Federation on Star Trek) would ensure that warp-capable civilizations do not make contact with pre-warp civilizations.

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •