Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 503

Thread: Mass Shooting at Sikh Temple Outside Milwaukee [W:211]

  1. #131
    Professor
    wbcoleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    06-07-16 @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,833

    re: Mass Shooting at Sikh Temple Outside Milwaukee [W:211]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That in and of itself does not prove anything you've said thus far.
    You're just cherry picking situations that support your argument, rather than looking at the whole.

    Are ethno/racial centric marxist groups characteristic of the general left wing attitude towards people?



    That's only true, if you view the policies of the Nazi's with an incredibly limited lens, in order to disparage people you don't like.

    You're continuously try to poison the well with, racism is automatically right wing.
    Look, the sooner we admit that leftists are more moral, more sincere, more well-meaning than the rest of us, the better off we'll be. Just think, we'll be able to avoid all these nasty arguments.
    Zionism is the National Liberation Movement of the Jewish People.

  2. #132
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    re: Mass Shooting at Sikh Temple Outside Milwaukee [W:211]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It absolutely can be social conservatism.
    No, not in the vocabulary defining what a social conservative is as it applies to US politics. You are just getting into semantic nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #133
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    re: Mass Shooting at Sikh Temple Outside Milwaukee [W:211]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    No, not in the vocabulary defining what a social conservative is as it applies to US politics. You are just getting into semantic nonsense.
    Semantics is important.
    Because some people here are trying to disparage an entire group of people based on a flawed belief that, racism is automatically right wing.

    It seems that politicizing a murder is morally acceptable to some people.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #134
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    re: Mass Shooting at Sikh Temple Outside Milwaukee [W:211]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That in and of itself does not prove anything you've said thus far.
    You're just cherry picking situations that support your argument, rather than looking at the whole.

    Are ethno/racial centric marxist groups characteristic of the general left wing attitude towards people?

    That's only true, if you view the policies of the Nazi's with an incredibly limited lens, in order to disparage people you don't like.

    You're continuously try to poison the well with, racism is automatically right wing.
    Let me try to explain it a different way. Maybe I left off some preamble that makes it sound worse than it is.

    Any political ideology can turn ugly if taken too far. For example, I am a strong believer in the goal of equality that the left places a high priority on. But that doesn't mean that I would support taking it to an extreme. I don't want government like controlling everything and ensuring that nobody ever succeeds more than anybody else. That extreme is negative even though the goal of moving somewhat towards equality is positive.

    Same deal with everything, including social conservatism.

    An argument can be made, for example, that a certain amount of national pride or preserving the traditions of a particular demographic group or whatever is a positive thing. I generally think it isn't, but an argument can certainly be made. But that doesn't mean that it is impossible to take that too far. You keep heading off in that direction to the horizon and you reach genocide. That doesn't mean that people who want to have the ten commandments on the courthouse wall would also support genocide.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    re: Mass Shooting at Sikh Temple Outside Milwaukee [W:211]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Semantics is important.
    Semantic nonsense is not.
    Because some people here are trying to disparage an entire group of people based on a flawed belief that, racism is automatically right wing.
    As I already pointed out RW Authoritarianism DOES trend towards racist behavior/ideas, you might be trying to apply absolutes to diminish an argument.

    It seems that politicizing a murder is morally acceptable to some people.
    Shrug.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #136
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    re: Mass Shooting at Sikh Temple Outside Milwaukee [W:211]

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    I don't even get what you guys are saying... You don't think beating up or killing people because they are from a different demographic background than you is right wing? What do you think social conservatism is about? Killing somebody for being from a different demographic background than you are is the most extreme form of social conservatism. Maybe level one is wanting to favor your own demographic group in various ways (eg, pushing for government funding for religious organizations from your religion, seeking to have creationism taught in public schools, etc), level two is to try to get government to give clear indications that it considers your group superior to others (eg, English as a national language bills, banning cultural studies courses, etc), level three is seeking to oppress members of other demographic groups (eg, forbidding gay people from getting married, fighting not to allow mosques to be built, etc), level four is physical violence against other demographic groups, level fix is killing members of other demographic groups for being different than you. You see what I'm saying, right? I mean, certainly one can argue that the top couple levels are extreme enough to no longer be called "social conservatism", but it is all the same thing, just more and more extreme amounts of it, right?

    Thank you for revealing that you are just as much of a bigot against anyone to the right of you politically as Archie Bunker was bigoted against minorities.... and just as irrationally, unthinkingly, stupidly and illogically.

    Hate is an equal-ideology killer, and is not exclusively owned by left, right, up or down.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #137
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    re: Mass Shooting at Sikh Temple Outside Milwaukee [W:211]

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Let me try to explain it a different way. Maybe I left off some preamble that makes it sound worse than it is.

    Any political ideology can turn ugly if taken too far. For example, I am a strong believer in the goal of equality that the left places a high priority on. But that doesn't mean that I would support taking it to an extreme. I don't want government like controlling everything and ensuring that nobody ever succeeds more than anybody else. That extreme is negative even though the goal of moving somewhat towards equality is positive.

    Same deal with everything, including social conservatism.

    An argument can be made, for example, that a certain amount of national pride or preserving the traditions of a particular demographic group or whatever is a positive thing. I generally think it isn't, but an argument can certainly be made. But that doesn't mean that it is impossible to take that too far. You keep heading off in that direction to the horizon and you reach genocide. That doesn't mean that people who want to have the ten commandments on the courthouse wall would also support genocide.
    So what side of the political spectrum is a group that espouses modern left wing beliefs like, bringing up the common man through social programs and the like, but also believes in ethno/racial centrism?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #138
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    re: Mass Shooting at Sikh Temple Outside Milwaukee [W:211]

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Thank you for revealing that you are just as much of a bigot against anyone to the right of you politically as Archie Bunker was bigoted against minorities.... and just as irrationally, unthinkingly, stupidly and illogically.

    Hate is an equal-ideology killer, and is not exclusively owned by left, right, up or down.
    The idea that you can be bigoted against a political ideology is silly. Sure, in the broadest possible dictionary definition of "bigotry", maybe that could be true. But not in any meaningful or important sense. Real bigotry is about demographic groups, not political ideologies. You can hate political ideologies. It doesn't even make sense not to, since some of them directly contradict one another in fundamental ways....

    This whole thing lately where the right is trying to confuse the concept of bigotry to include everything under the sun is just a lame attempt to divert attention from real bigotry. Nobody is falling for it.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

  9. #139
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    re: Mass Shooting at Sikh Temple Outside Milwaukee [W:211]

    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    You do understand these aren't Muslims, right?
    You do understand that white people can be Muslims, right?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #140
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    re: Mass Shooting at Sikh Temple Outside Milwaukee [W:211]

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    So what side of the political spectrum is a group that espouses modern left wing beliefs like, bringing up the common man through social programs and the like, but also believes in ethno/racial centrism?
    It sounds like you're describing a group that is economically liberal, but socially conservative.

    Those are pretty rare, but they happen. You find the opposite more often- economically conservative, but socially liberal. Libertarians, for example (at least in their purest form) fall in that bucket. And you find socially and economically liberal or socially and economically conservative together more often than either split.
    Last edited by teamosil; 08-05-12 at 06:23 PM.
    Total tax rates- People living in poverty: 16.2%. The median American: 27%. Working people who make over $140k/year: 31%. The top 1%: 30%. Super rich investors: around 15%. Help the democrats retake the house.

Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •