Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 94

Thread: Chicken Lips Are Scarce: Great Gay Kiss-Off Lays a Gigantic Egg

  1. #31
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,602

    Re: Chicken Lips Are Scarce: Great Gay Kiss-Off Lays a Gigantic Egg

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    In the end, these kiss-ins/kiss-offs are just one more way the gay community misses the mark. You want to call it a civil rights issue? Then don't act the clown. If gays want their civil rights -- if it really is a civil rights issue, then the way to do that is to convince the US Congress of that fact and get "sexual orientation" added to The Civil Rights Act. Unless and until the Federal government does that, it's not a civil right guaranteed by the US Constitution...it's at a whim of each individual state.
    An act of congress, e.g. the civil rights act "update", must be BASED on a constitional power. Where do you find "sexual orientation" in the constitution as an individual right or marriage as a federal power? Even the DOMA was struck down because it was a federal attempt at limitting a state's right and that it was NOT a federal power to define/limit the terms of a marriage contract.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #32
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Chicken Lips Are Scarce: Great Gay Kiss-Off Lays a Gigantic Egg

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I'm not sure it should be a state thing...just haven't thought that through. I talk about it because of posters here singing the "It's a civil right!" song. As to the Civil Rights Act? I disagree with you somewhat there.





    I do agree with you that it changed no one's mind. But it did change their actions.

    As a Realtor, I've seen more than my share of attempted housing discrimination against blacks, even today. The Civil Rights Act and Fair Housing? People may think it . . . but they don't/can't do it.
    The Civil Rights Act, IMO, was legislation that didn't need to be written. All our gov't had to do was point at the Declaration of Independece where it says "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." and tell the offending states to abide by it or pay a penalty. In addition, I believe the problem would have eventually worked itself out. At that point, black people had already defended the country when they were told they weren't capable. Jesse Owens had smoked everyone at the Olympics in front of Hitler. Many prominent blacks, especially athletes, were showing that black people could and should have a equal seat at the table. I honestly believe that our culture would have changed, albeit more slowly, but in a more honest and transformative manner that would have been better for the country in the long run.
    As far as the real estate thing, I believe the free market would take care of these kinds of discrimination. If a real estate agency doesn't want to provide the opportunity to housing, another one will and make more money doing it. Eventually, the discriminating agency will either A) Have to change their policy or B) Be outperformed by and possibly put out of business by the non-discriminating agency.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  3. #33
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Chicken Lips Are Scarce: Great Gay Kiss-Off Lays a Gigantic Egg

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    An act of congress, e.g. the civil rights act "update", must be BASED on a constitional power. Where do you find "sexual orientation" in the constitution as an individual right or marriage as a federal power? Even the DOMA was struck down because it was a federal attempt at limitting a state's right and that it was NOT a federal power to define/limit the terms of a marriage contract.
    DOMA is just an example of President Obama and his cronies of not following a law that was passed by both the House and the Senate and signed by a President. It would be the exact thing he would say against the Supreme Court when he thought they would strike down the ACA. "Ultimately, I am confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress," Obama Lectures Supreme Court On ObamaCare's Constitutionality - Investors.com
    Well, at least the SCOTUS striking down a law passed by a democratically elected Congress wouldn't be illegal! “The President has also concluded that Section 3 of DOMA, as applied to legally married same-sex couples, fails to meet that standard and is therefore unconstitutional,” Holder said. “Given that conclusion, the President has instructed the Department not to defend the statute in such cases. I fully concur with the President’s determination.”Obama, DOJ Say Part Of DOMA Is Unconstitutional, Will Not Defend Law In Court | TPMMuckraker
    This is what it boils down to. President Obama set a precedent by simply not enforcing "a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress." Whether it is constitutional or not isn't a decision he gets to make. The POTUS can't just pick what laws he wants to enforce and what laws he doesn't nor can be order his Justice Dept to comply with his conclusion based on his personal beliefs. He has repeatedly done this since because he was allowed to set that precedent in the name of political correctness. Like it or not (and I don't), DOMA was passed by our gov't in a legal manner. Therefore, it is a law that should be enforced. When we allow our executive branch to decide what laws to enforce or not enforce based on the personal beliefs of its leader, the POTUS, we set precedent. He has abused it ever since.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  4. #34
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Chicken Lips Are Scarce: Great Gay Kiss-Off Lays a Gigantic Egg

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    An act of congress, e.g. the civil rights act "update", must be BASED on a constitional power. Where do you find "sexual orientation" in the constitution as an individual right or marriage as a federal power? Even the DOMA was struck down because it was a federal attempt at limitting a state's right and that it was NOT a federal power to define/limit the terms of a marriage contract.
    I'm with you on this, ttwtt. I've read so many posters on here saying that SSM is a civil right, I posted with that in mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    The Civil Rights Act, IMO, was legislation that didn't need to be written. All our gov't had to do was point at the Declaration of Independece where it says "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." and tell the offending states to abide by it or pay a penalty. In addition, I believe the problem would have eventually worked itself out. At that point, black people had already defended the country when they were told they weren't capable. Jesse Owens had smoked everyone at the Olympics in front of Hitler. Many prominent blacks, especially athletes, were showing that black people could and should have a equal seat at the table. I honestly believe that our culture would have changed, albeit more slowly, but in a more honest and transformative manner that would have been better for the country in the long run.
    As far as the real estate thing, I believe the free market would take care of these kinds of discrimination. If a real estate agency doesn't want to provide the opportunity to housing, another one will and make more money doing it. Eventually, the discriminating agency will either A) Have to change their policy or B) Be outperformed by and possibly put out of business by the non-discriminating agency.
    Well, as a Realtor, I can tell you it still doesn't work itself out -- even with The Civil Rights Act. Examples from my own experience in the last five years:

    Owner of a 6-flat (example) who put an ad in for a new tenant, recognize a black accent, and tell the caller the vacancy's been filled.
    An owner of my listing who refused to sign a full price offer on his home because the couple was inter-racial.
    A black couple whose home I was selling thinking they had to hide the fact they were black in order to sell their home.
    A new listing who came right out and told me he didn't want black people to look at his home for sale. (He was in his 30's.)

    Realtors are the safeguards against housing discrimination -- which is still very much out there. In three of those cases above, I had what you'd call, "Come to Jesus Meetings" with them. Problems solved. But it's definitely out there. And it shouldn't be. If I didn't have the full weight of the government to throw at three of them? They'd have found another Realtor who agreed with them. And, if The Civil Rights Act and Fair Housing wasn't out there? That would have been no problem.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #35
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: Chicken Lips Are Scarce: Great Gay Kiss-Off Lays a Gigantic Egg

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    I agree with this. I'm not against gays being allowed to marry, but I really don't care that they're not allowed to marry. It's just not an important issue, IMO.
    It is not an important issue for most people.
    Free enterprise and freedom of speech is, I hope anyway, a big issue for most of us.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #36
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Chicken Lips Are Scarce: Great Gay Kiss-Off Lays a Gigantic Egg

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Well, as a Realtor, I can tell you it still doesn't work itself out -- even with The Civil Rights Act. Examples from my own experience in the last five years:

    Owner of a 6-flat (example) who put an ad in for a new tenant, recognize a black accent, and tell the caller the vacancy's been filled.
    An owner of my listing who refused to sign a full price offer on his home because the couple was inter-racial.
    A black couple whose home I was selling thinking they had to hide the fact they were black in order to sell their home.
    A new listing who came right out and told me he didn't want black people to look at his home for sale. (He was in his 30's.)

    Realtors are the safeguards against housing discrimination -- which is still very much out there. In three of those cases above, I had what you'd call, "Come to Jesus Meetings" with them. Problems solved. But it's definitely out there. And it shouldn't be. If I didn't have the full weight of the government to throw at three of them? They'd have found another Realtor who agreed with them. And, if The Civil Rights Act and Fair Housing wasn't out there? That would have been no problem.
    How do you get certified as a realtor? Maybe the certification board could make realtors sign a pledge of no discrimination with the stipulation of discrimination resulting in de-certification. I'm just throwing out ways the gov't could have stayed out of it. When the gov't gets involved, you open a can of worms. They regulate without input of the people it will affect, make sweeping changes, and never retract anything once they have their claws dug in.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  7. #37
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Chicken Lips Are Scarce: Great Gay Kiss-Off Lays a Gigantic Egg

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    4 posts in and the homophobia comes out.

    IMO.
    It has nothing to do with homophobia.A diesel dyke is a mannish or masculine very male looking lesbian.The opposite of a diesel dyke is a lipstick lesbian which is a very feminine girly lesbian. There is nothing derogatory about it.You should quit getting your pussy hurt over stupid ****.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  8. #38
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Chicken Lips Are Scarce: Great Gay Kiss-Off Lays a Gigantic Egg

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    How do you get certified as a realtor? Maybe the certification board could make realtors sign a pledge of no discrimination with the stipulation of discrimination resulting in de-certification. I'm just throwing out ways the gov't could have stayed out of it. When the gov't gets involved, you open a can of worms. They regulate without input of the people it will affect, make sweeping changes, and never retract anything once they have their claws dug in.
    Realtors are licensed and regularly tested (every 4 years now, in Illinois) on The Fair Housing Act and The Civil Rights Act -- as well as our state's additional stipulations in its fair housing laws. The Federal government can and will completely destroy a Realtor who egregiously violates these laws. If only losing one's license were the only penalty.

    Along the way with destroying the Realtor? The brokerage firm would likely be ruined as well.

    The Federal government (through HUD, I believe) regularly sends out decoy buyers/sellers to test Realtors. Steering has always been a problem. Not so much anymore. If Ira Cohen wanted to look at houses in Fubar, Illinois, he would (up until 20 years ago or so) been steered to Fleeby, Illinois on the basis of, "They have synagogues there." The real reason? The Realtor would have been run out of town on a rail by fellow Realtors had he sold a home to a Jew in Fubar. (Using fake towns, obviously -- for personal reasons.) There's still a certain amount of that going on, but nowhere near as much.

    On employment discrimination -- Illinois:

    Year after year, there are many employees who are victims of racial discrimination by their employers and awarded monetary benefits. In 2009, there were 33,579 charges alleging racial discrimination filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Although some of these charges were dismissed, the EEOC collected more than $82.4 million in non-litigated matters and additional monies for litigated matters.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #39
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Chicken Lips Are Scarce: Great Gay Kiss-Off Lays a Gigantic Egg

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    In the end, these kiss-ins/kiss-offs are just one more way the gay community misses the mark. You want to call it a civil rights issue? Then don't act the clown. If gays want their civil rights -- if it really is a civil rights issue, then the way to do that is to convince the US Congress of that fact and get "sexual orientation" added to The Civil Rights Act. Unless and until the Federal government does that, it's not a civil right guaranteed by the US Constitution...it's at a whim of each individual state.
    Actually this whole "kiss-in" reminded me of the time that women took off their bra's and burned them......What was that about again?....
    Last edited by Kal'Stang; 08-05-12 at 01:56 PM.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #40
    Guru
    The Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,730

    Re: Chicken Lips Are Scarce: Great Gay Kiss-Off Lays a Gigantic Egg

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    It is not an important issue for most people.
    Free enterprise and freedom of speech is, I hope anyway, a big issue for most of us.
    Absolutely, freedom of speech is a very important issue. But, freedom of speech has not and will not be infringed upon in this case. A bunch of mayors, including the mayor of the most corrupt city in the United States, are talking out of their rectal orifices. If Chick-Fil-A wants to open restaurants in Chicago, San Francisco and Boston, they will, and there ain't a goddamn thing that the corrupt mayors of those cities can do to stop it.
    Last edited by The Man; 08-05-12 at 02:01 PM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •