Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 75

Thread: Rubio bill eliminates federal tax on Olympic medals

  1. #31
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Rubio bill eliminates federal tax on Olympic medals

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I mean I wouldn't support the bill that would exempt it from income tax. I would, however, say that every single nickel spent by the family during that year be deducted from the award -- which, I would think, would put most recipients in the position of having to pay no tax at all.
    It should be treated as income in my opinion. I somewhat agree with you that they should get deductions for that since our society has deductions, however, I think do not think that anyone should ever get any deductions.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  2. #32
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Rubio bill eliminates federal tax on Olympic medals

    We exempt all sorts of things to incentivise them. This should be one of them IMO. The small number of winners doesn't account for much treasury income anyway.

  3. #33
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Rubio bill eliminates federal tax on Olympic medals

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    We exempt all sorts of things to incentivise them. This should be one of them IMO. The small number of winners doesn't account for much treasury income anyway.
    Fame, thousands of dollars in prize money, and potentially millions in endorsements is incentive enough. Not ot mention the incentive of competitive success alone.

    No need to complicate the tax code further with this stupid laws playing favorites in one sector over the other.

  4. #34
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,098

    Re: Rubio bill eliminates federal tax on Olympic medals

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    It should be treated as income in my opinion. I somewhat agree with you that they should get deductions for that since our society has deductions, however, I think do not think that anyone should ever get any deductions.
    So you want income taxes on gross revenue? That is not that way income tax works as income, but definition, is gross revenue less the expenses of producing that revenue. Do you want business taxes computed on the gross? That would really put a damper on economic development as new businesses would be paying taxes before they really even made money. Not a good idea.

    Perhaps you are thinking of sales and VAT taxes, which are levied on gross amounts.

  5. #35
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Rubio bill eliminates federal tax on Olympic medals

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    Fame, thousands of dollars in prize money, and potentially millions in endorsements is incentive enough. Not ot mention the incentive of competitive success alone.

    No need to complicate the tax code further with this stupid laws playing favorites in one sector over the other.
    I disagree. In fact, that's the reason for incentivising. It's a loss leader for us (retail term, a deeply discounted item that sells highly marked up items). The business it generates brings in far more treasury income.

    As you mentioned, a potential millions in endorsements, which would be fully taxed.
    Last edited by clownboy; 08-03-12 at 04:36 PM.

  6. #36
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Rubio bill eliminates federal tax on Olympic medals

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I disagree. In fact, that's the reason for incentivising. It's a loss leader for us (retail term, a deeply discounted item that sells highly marked up items). The business it generates brings in far more treasury income.
    Counting all Olympics (winter/summer), we have 2,549 medals (1,106 gold)

    The next closest country has 1,204 (473 gold)

    The stats show we have no need to create more incentive. The incentive our athletes have is obviously plenty, so no need to complicate the tax code further.

    All-time Olympic Games medal table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  7. #37
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Rubio bill eliminates federal tax on Olympic medals

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    So you want income taxes on gross revenue? That is not that way income tax works as income, but definition, is gross revenue less the expenses of producing that revenue. Do you want business taxes computed on the gross? That would really put a damper on economic development as new businesses would be paying taxes before they really even made money. Not a good idea.

    Perhaps you are thinking of sales and VAT taxes, which are levied on gross amounts.
    if they didnt make any money then they wouldnt have anything to tax and it would not be appliciable. That statement aside I do believe that every person and business should pay a flat tax without deductions. Everyone should pay X% of their gross income. I know most do not agree with me.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,336

    Re: Rubio bill eliminates federal tax on Olympic medals

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    1. the value of the medals is pretty nominal;
    2. you can still offset this nominal income by the major expense of getting there; and
    3. Why are Republicans wasting everyone's time with yet another piece of trivial legislation? I thought they were concerned about jobs? Oh yes, I forgot, they haven't a clue how to fix the economy and they have no real ideas of their own except to cut taxes in all circumstances (good economies, bad economies, morning, noon or evening... in their view tax cuts fix everything).

    If it weren't for trivial legislation, we would have no legislation at all. Nice job 119th congress, the most inept in US history.
    I'm not sure that value of a medal is minimal. The cost may be minimal, but the value is a different story. Value would depend on the particular significance of a medal.

    A historic baseball caught by a fan is not worth a few bucks, but the collector value, and is taxed that value. At least that is my understanding. May be that a medal is the same. Any thoughts?

    Your third point seems to be a good start for a new thread, of a continuation of the several already started on the same subject.

  9. #39
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Rubio bill eliminates federal tax on Olympic medals

    I've been seeing people compare olympians to deployed soldiers on the grounds that they're "doing this for their country."

    Look, I know some of the events involve shooting, but what they're missing is the part where somebody is shooting back.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #40
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,098

    Re: Rubio bill eliminates federal tax on Olympic medals

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    if they didnt make any money then they wouldnt have anything to tax and it would not be appliciable. That statement aside I do believe that every person and business should pay a flat tax without deductions. Everyone should pay X% of their gross income. I know most do not agree with me.
    An expense is a deduction. You have to have deductions to calculate net income. Now, on personal returns there a schedule A deductions, which are not generally expenses associated with income production. My guess is that is what you are talking about.

    OTH, Schedule C, D and E deductions are expenses associated with income production. You must have these deductions to calculate income.

    My argument stands, your really can't say you are against ALL deductions....
    Last edited by upsideguy; 08-04-12 at 12:35 AM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •