Page 26 of 62 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 616

Thread: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

  1. #251
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    It has jack to do with disagreement. It has to do with the fact that they are attempting to deny an entire segment of the population their fundamental rights, which isn't any morally less reprehensible than denying minorities the right to vote.


    When did marriage become a fundamental right?

    Who's suppressing anyone's beliefs
    attacing a man because of his religious beliefs and attempting to cause him financial hardships for expressing them opening equates to suppression.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  2. #252
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    the way it appears to me is he is mocking and attacking a religion because it differs from his beliefs. There are a lot of things in the old testament that were far more a product of there time and are not appliciable today. That is not selective application.
    That very much is selective application. You're selecting certain segments of the bible to apply based on a general consensus of its applicability. But as SB pointed out, you're making that decision. God didn't meet up with anybody and tell them "go ahead and disregard everything except those passages about gays...and go ahead and assume that the vocabulary means more than the book actually says"....which is what people do. It happens a LOT actually.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #253
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    the way it appears to me is he is mocking and attacking a religion because it differs from his beliefs.
    You can hold whatever religious beliefs you want; if you want to believe that having buttsex or eating shellfish makes Baby Jesus cry, fine. Believe whatever nonsense you like. But when you then advocate for discrimination under the law, THAT is a problem.

    There are a lot of things in the old testament that were far more a product of there time and are not appliciable today. That is not selective application.
    But of course, the parts about buttsex stand the test of time, because, umm, you want them to.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #254
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    the way it appears to me is he is mocking and attacking a religion because it differs from his beliefs.
    I don't mock and attack others for disagreeing with me. I attack when they are making a ****ty argument. In this case, the ****ty argument about the "Biblical definition of marriage."

    There are a lot of things in the old testament that were far more a product of there time and are not appliciable today. That is not selective application.
    And yet there are those who routinely quote Leviticus as a justification for why gays shouldn't be able to marry. And like I pointed out earlier, nowhere in the Bible does it actually define marriage as explicitly between a man and a woman.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  5. #255
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Like I've said elsewhere, it's one thing to hold to your own personal beliefs. I don't have a problem with that, though I disagree. It's quite another to engage in political action to actively deny someone else their rights.
    But what if you disagree on what a right is or should be? Some people don't view marriage as a government contract (which it has become), but rather a privilege of religion designed to perpetuate the church. Because it is a privilege there is plenty of justification for limiting access to that privilege on the basis of religious dictate and law.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  6. #256
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Like I've said elsewhere, it's one thing to hold to your own personal beliefs. I don't have a problem with that, though I disagree. It's quite another to engage in political action to actively deny someone else their rights.
    So you've never given money or taken political action what so ever to any entity that has worked to remove, limit, or deny rights to any individual? You've agreed 100% with every action or statement by any entity you've given money to before?

  7. #257
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    When did marriage become a fundamental right?
    I believe it is a fundamental right. But even were it not a fundamental right, there exists no logical justification for allowing it for straights while denying it for gays.

    attacing a man because of his religious beliefs and attempting to cause him financial hardships for expressing them opening equates to suppression.
    If you're referring to the Boston and Chicago city governments' attempts to keep Chick-fil-A from doing business in their cities, I completely agree. If you're referring to boycotters who no longer wish to eat at Chick-fil-A, then calling it "suppression" is downright silly.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #258
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So you've never given money or taken political action what so ever to any entity that has worked to remove, limit, or deny rights to any individual? You've agreed 100% with every action or statement by any entity you've given money to before?
    The only political cause I've ever donated money to is Human Rights Campaign. So yes.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  9. #259
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    No, I actually generally agreed with your point being made. It was others in this thread who've tried to compare it to "Westboro Bapist Church" and the "Nazi Party" that I have issues with.
    I didn't compare Dan Cathy's comments to the comments of the Westboro Baptist Church or the Nazi Party. I specifically brought those groups into it because others were claiming that what he actually said was IRRELEVANT and they were just standing up for "free speech." The fact that there is a distinction between Cathy's comments and those organizations perfectly illustrates the point that it *is* all about what he actually said, rather than standing up for "free speech" in general. Because no one would go out of their way to support the free speech of the Westboro Baptist Church if they had an "appreciation day."
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #260
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    just because someone disagrees with your point of view they should be equated to the KKK? How is suppression of religios beliefs any differnt?
    The comparison of the groups being discussed to the KKK does not lie in disagreement. It lies in their support of arbitrary/unjust discrimination, bigotry and the intentional spreading of false and hateful information about gay people.

Page 26 of 62 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •