Page 21 of 62 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 616

Thread: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

  1. #201
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    homophobic bigot


    .............
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  2. #202
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,363

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    No, if you went there because you wanted a chicken sandwich, that's fine. If you went out of your way to specifically go there today because you knew about "Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day," then yes, you're most likely a homophobic bigot.
    How about if you went to defend a persons right to speak even if you do not agree. Let's remember that the CEO only spoke about gay marriage to the best of my knowledge, not anti-gay. Pretty much Obama's position until a couple of weeks ago.

  3. #203
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SE Asia
    Last Seen
    07-12-14 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,333

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    What exactly is "traditional marriage"?
    This should clear thigns up.


  4. #204
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    How about if you went to defend a persons right to speak even if you do not agree.
    If the Westboro Baptist Church or the Nazi Party opened a fried chicken joint in your town, would you specifically seek it out to show your support of their free speech? I thought not. No one does that unless they agree with their words on some level.

    Let's remember that the CEO only spoke about gay marriage to the best of my knowledge, not anti-gay.
    Opposing gay marriage *is* anti-gay. He has also donated millions of dollars to groups dedicated to lobbying for discriminatory laws, and at least one organization that's classified as a hate group by the SPLC for spreading propaganda about gays being child molesters.

    Pretty much Obama's position until a couple of weeks ago.
    Except no one actually thought Obama was sincerely opposed to gay marriage in the first place. Dan Cathy actually believes what he says.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #205
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,363

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Bull****. If the Westboro Baptist Church or the Nazi Party opened a fried chicken joint in your town, would you specifically seek it out to show your support of their free speech? I thought not. No one does that unless they agree with their words on some level.



    Opposing gay marriage *is* anti-gay. He has also donated millions of dollars to groups dedicated to lobbying for discriminatory laws, and at least one organization that's classified as a hate group by the SPLC for spreading propaganda about gays being child molesters.



    Except no one actually thought Obama was sincerely opposed to gay marriage in the first place. Dan Cathy actually believes what he says.
    Sorry I can't relate to putting this guys comments and comparing him to Nazis. Too many people trivialize what the Nazi's did by making comparisons like this.

    Look, I hate some the the speech that Al Sharpton has made over the years that may have contributed to innocent people getting killed in riots he may have instigated. Does that mean I should never watch any show on NBC or MSNBC?

  6. #206
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Sorry I can't relate to putting this guys comments and comparing him to Nazis. Too many people trivialize what the Nazi's did by making comparisons like this.
    Well if you just want to show support for his free speech, and the actual content of his speech isn't the issue, then it shouldn't matter whether it's Dan Cathy or the Nazi Party or the Westboro Baptist Church or anyone else. The fact that you draw a distinction between them just proves that it *is* about the actual message he's delivering rather than supporting "free speech" in general.

    Look, I hate some the the speech that Al Sharpton has made over the years that may have contributed to innocent people getting killed in riots he may have instigated. Does that mean I should never watch any show on NBC or MSNBC?
    I dunno. If you don't want to watch them, don't watch them.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #207
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,363

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Well if you just want to show support for his free speech, and the actual content of his speech isn't the issue, then it shouldn't matter whether it's Dan Cathy or the Nazi Party or the Westboro Baptist Church or anyone else. The fact that you draw a distinction between them just proves that it *is* about the actual message he's delivering rather than supporting "free speech" in general.



    I dunno. If you don't want to watch them, don't watch them.
    You miss the point. While I may not agree with this guy I do not find his speech as hateful as Nazi or Westboro Baptish Church. If I get labeled for that so be it.

    I am not sure that we know the proclivities of the CEOs of most of the places we buy stuff.
    Last edited by washunut; 08-02-12 at 02:54 AM.

  8. #208
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    You miss the point. While I may not agree with this guy I do not find his speech as hateful as Nazi or Westboro Baptish Church.
    No one said it was, but you asked about "defending a person's right to speak even if you do not agree." Presumably those other groups would fall into that same category, yes? The fact that the distinction you draw is that his words are less hateful than those other groups simply illustrates the point: It's all about the words he said, not about "free speech" in general. The people who went to Chick-Fil-A today to voice their support for "free speech" were mostly going there because they agree with the content of his speech on some level, don't like gay people, and want to discriminate against them.

    I am not sure that we know the proclivities of the CEOs of most of the places we buy stuff.
    That's true. But we do know Dan Cathy's proclivities, and personally I don't like to do business with an organization that actively supports discrimination and hate groups. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to support such a business on their "Appreciation Day."
    Last edited by Kandahar; 08-02-12 at 03:05 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #209
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    What's your point? You asked why there was a supposed "double standard" between Obama and Dan Cathy. The answer is simply that Obama's earlier position was insincere and everyone knew it, whereas Dan Cathy actually believes what he says and everyone knows that too. Therefore no double standard exists.
    Iím going off topic for a bit here .. . Just because I canít resist.

    So when Romney lies about his position (or flip flops as liberals like to use) itís perfectly okay right? I mean you donít seem to have a problem when Obama lies about his position for political reasons, then you shouldnít have a problem with anyone lies for political gain should you ?

    It amazes me that liberals see it fitting for the president of the US to be a liar, in fact they seem even proud of the fact, that Obama lied about his stance for political gain. Yet you and other liberals are first in line when it comes to accusing Romney of flip flopping. Talk about being a hypocrite!!!!

    This is exactly what was brought this country to itís knees, liberalism at itís finest, do and say anything, lie, cheat whatever it takes ÖÖas long as itís for the greater good ÖÖ.. In the liberal opinion. Then cry and whine about it when itís done by the other side .

  10. #210
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Did you read before you hit POST?

    Those who feel ashamed because of their bigotry and homophobia have a clear choice, embrace true Christian and American values of tolerance and equal treatment.

    Marriage equality is coming. We'll still have to deal with a generation and a half of homophobes before we get to a place where Americans can be proud about moving away from a time of ignorance and hatred.

    The lines outside Chick-Fil-A are similar to scenes from the civil right era.



    Not exactly the same, but similar.

    Listen hazlnut not being for gay marriage is NOT BEING A BIGOT or hateful or a scumbag ok...thats why they are lining up to support chik a fil because people are starting to feel like their RIGHT to have an opinion is trying to be taken from them by very hateful and abusive individuals that are trying to FORCE their will down everyones throat.....you got that...and you know what this overbearing ABUSE of the people that dont agree with gay marriage is going to do...its going to cause HATE...because its gone to far...to the point where they dont want anyone to even say they arent for gay marriage...kind of like some of the people on this forum....

Page 21 of 62 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •