Page 18 of 62 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 616

Thread: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

  1. #171
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Yeah, I can't stand that Chick Fil A supports abortion

    I hope that most people realize me throwing out terms like "bigot, intolerant, hatred" etc is really just a shot at the foolish rhetoric that many on the pro-SSM side want to engage in when discussing those who are against SSM.
    Actually, bigotry and hatred sum up a lot of anti-SSM views and intolerance sums up all of them. Denying that is denying reality. You should probably stop trying to dismiss the truth as "foolish rhetoric."

  2. #172
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Are the homosexuals that are planning the "kiss-ins" also bigots? I don't support the government punishing the business of someone because they have an opposing view on SSM. I went out with the community today because even though I disagree with Cathy, I support his right to speak and not be punished for it by the intolerant haters. I know that the mayors could care less what I buy and it doesn't really impact their ignorant minds, but it was nice to be in the community to support a company's right to free speech by being with the community on a day designated to do so.
    Let me ask you this: If the mayors of Boston and Chicago had never said anything, would you have gone to Chick-Fil-A today?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #173
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,124

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Are the homosexuals that are planning the "kiss-ins" also bigots?
    By definition, yes. They aren't accomplishing anything but creating more negative publicity.

    I don't support the government punishing the business of someone because they have an opposing view on SSM. I went out with the community today because even though I disagree with Cathy, I support his right to speak and not be punished for it by the intolerant haters. I know that the mayors could care less what I buy and it doesn't really impact their ignorant minds, but it was nice to be in the community to support a company's right to free speech by being with the community on a day designated to do so.
    A day designated by a politician with an anti gay agenda.

    I'm not disagreeing with your intentions. I find them admirable. I just don't see how allowing yourself to be used in this manner is helpful to your cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  4. #174
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Are the homosexuals that are planning the "kiss-ins" also bigots? I don't support the government punishing the business of someone because they have an opposing view on SSM. I went out with the community today because even though I disagree with Cathy, I support his right to speak and not be punished for it by the intolerant haters. I know that the mayors could care less what I buy and it doesn't really impact their ignorant minds, but it was nice to be in the community to support a company's right to free speech by being with the community on a day designated to do so.
    What you aren't getting is that "the community" supporting Chik Fil A today wasn't particularly designated by its support of free speech. It's designated by it's support for anti-SSM rhetoric and beliefs.

  5. #175
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,982

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    That's because people who support discrimination ARE bigoted, intolerant, and hateful. This is no different than people who support racial segregation or Jim Crow Laws.
    SSM is not equal to racial segregation or Jim Crow. Is it ok for me to believe that pro-choice people are bigoted, intolerant and hateful because I think they discriminate against the unborn? The term is flung around constantly in such a self righteous manner.

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Uhhh...

    Bigot | Define Bigot at Dictionary.com


    You're telling me that him (and his company apparently) believing that God is going to judge a particular group - and I think we all know what that means - is not being intolerant of their "creed, belief, or opinion"? Sorry that I like to use definitions.
    I think that God will judge everyone Not just homosexuals. It depends on the context. But then again under the same definition am I not right in calling those who support punishing Chick Fil A over the CEO's personal belief's bigots? What about those who cannot tolerate or hate the personal beliefs of others that do not support SSM?


    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Actually, bigotry and hatred sum up a lot of anti-SSM views and intolerance sums up all of them. Denying that is denying reality. You should probably stop trying to dismiss the truth as "foolish rhetoric."
    I was against SSM, I never hated anyone I would agree that it's intolerance in that people refuse to allow a homosexual relationship to be defined as a marriage. But then again wouldn't that mean liberals are intolerant of the conservative tax code or that conservatives are intolerant of the liberal views on drug legalization? Being intolerant is not an inherently bad thing, it's when intolerance of something becomes hatred or when rights want to be violated does it become a bad thing (and yes, I think denying homosexuals the ability to get married is violating their rights as Americans in the spirit of liberty).
    Last edited by digsbe; 08-02-12 at 01:31 AM.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  6. #176
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    SSM is not equal to racial segregation or Jim Crow. Is it ok for me to believe that pro-choice people are bigoted, intolerant and hateful because I think they discriminate against the unborn? The term is flung around constantly in such a self righteous manner.
    That argument is made all of the time. LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I think that God will judge everyone Not just homosexuals. It depends on the context. But then again under the same definition am I not right in calling those who support punishing Chick Fil A over the CEO's personal belief's bigots? What about those who cannot tolerate or hate the personal beliefs of others that do not support SSM?
    Not only is he threatening the country with God, but he's also denying basic rights. How is that one group getting tax breaks, employment and insurance benefits, retirement benefits, etc and another group doesn't for no good reason not bigoted? Marriage in this country can already take place without any religious ceremony, and we even allow people who don't believe in the Christian God to get married.

    But if you are gay? **** you. You don't get ****, because you're going to Hell and Chick-fil-A knows it.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  7. #177
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,982

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    That argument is made all of the time. LOL
    I know, I'm asking if that argument is ok though. I'm not saying I would ever use it or make those judgments of pro-choice individuals.
    Not only is he threatening the country with God, but he's also denying basic rights. How is that one group getting tax breaks, employment and insurance benefits, retirement benefits, etc and another group doesn't for no good reason not bigoted? Marriage in this country can already take place without any religious ceremony, and we even allow people who don't believe in the Christian God to get married.

    But if you are gay? **** you. You don't get ****, because you're going to Hell and Chick-fil-A knows it.
    Who is he denying basic rights? Is he violating employment laws?

    I'm not arguing the Christian or theological belief behind marriage or homosexuality, that's for another thread.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  8. #178
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Personally I don't see how being anti-SSM (and by anti-SSM I mean supporting an active legal ban on gay marriage) is any less morally reprehensible than discrimination against minorities or denying their right to vote.

    I mean, just how stupid does it sound when someone says "I'm not a racist or a bigot, I just don't think black people should have the right to vote. I'm 'protecting' the institution of voting by keeping it for whites only. Oh, and by the way, if those black people ever really want to be able to vote, they can't call it 'voting' they have to call it something else because it offends my notion of what voting should be like.

    Oh, and while we're at it, because I'm a Hindu who believes eating beef is wrong, nobody else can eat beef either and I'm going to make it my mission to legally outlaw beef consumption."
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 08-02-12 at 01:37 AM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  9. #179
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I know, I'm asking if that argument is ok though. I'm not saying I would ever use it or make those judgments of pro-choice individuals.


    Who is he denying basic rights? Is he violating employment laws?

    I'm not arguing the Christian or theological belief behind marriage or homosexuality, that's for another thread.
    Cathy's business actively contributes monetary resources to organizations that deny gays the right to marry.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  10. #180
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I was against SSM, I never hated anyone
    And I said hatred sums up "a lot" and not "all" anti-SSM views for a reason.

    I would agree that it's intolerance in that people refuse to allow a homosexual relationship to be defined as a marriage. But then again wouldn't that mean liberals are intolerant of the conservative tax code or that conservatives are intolerant of the liberal views on drug legalization? Being intolerant is not an inherently bad thing, it's when intolerance of something becomes hatred or when rights want to be violated does it become a bad thing (and yes, I think denying homosexuals the ability to get married is violating their rights as Americans in the spirit of liberty).
    Whether intolerance is a good or bad thing is not the issue. The issue is that you said calling anti-SSM views intolerant is "foolish rhetoric." I'm telling you that it's not "foolish rhetoric," it's the truth.

Page 18 of 62 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •