Page 12 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 616

Thread: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

  1. #111
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,987

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    By "the intolerant local governments" I assume you mean those two politicians in those two different cities? Seriously?
    Yes. I mean those in the governments that want to punish a business over the CEO's personal opinion. They are intolerant of one man's opinion and thus have voiced the desire to abuse the law in order to punish his business.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    If he had instead voiced his support for the agenda of the Westboro Baptist Church or the American Nazi Party, would you still go out of your way to support the business?
    Westboro is not in my location, the Nazi's also don't sell good chicken. But if an owner of a business was a member of these organizations and the local government wanted to punish his business over his personal views I would support that business' owners right to voice his opinion without retaliation by the government even though I strongly disagree with the CEO's view (as I do with Cathy's view).
    Last edited by digsbe; 08-02-12 at 12:26 AM.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #112
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Yes, I used to work for them and I know that they are owned and managed by individuals. However, it was nice to be among the community and stand up for the First Amendment. I hope that this shows the intolerant local governments of some the bigoted officials that Americans who even support SSM will stand behind a company when the government tries to punish them over an owner's opinion on a social issue.
    Actually, you just look stupid because not even most liberals supported those government's decisions to push away Chik Fil A. This "appreciation day" nonsense is much ado about nothing.

  3. #113
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    They should have gone national with supporters being able to buy gift certs for food for the homeless or some such. I'd love to show them my support. None in my state.

  4. #114
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I am sick and tired of you accusing people who disagree with you of calling you a liar. That record's been broken for quite some time, PlayDrive. You are the one saying it was a "political move." I don't have to prove you're right. You do. Ridiculous.
    What's your point? You asked why there was a supposed "double standard" between Obama and Dan Cathy. The answer is simply that Obama's earlier position was insincere and everyone knew it, whereas Dan Cathy actually believes what he says and everyone knows that too. Therefore no double standard exists.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #115
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Chick-Fil-A couldn't have bought this much publicity! People lining up to buy there who never did before. Personally I always through their prices too high for what you get and we don't eat fast foods anyway.

    How many millions of dollars do you think they'll make off this?

  6. #116
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Why did you think it was funny that I said Obama's anti-SSM stance was "for show"?
    All of Obama's positions are for show, as he has no clue how to govern. Look behind that telepromter curtain, there is no great wizard Obama at all. When we wake up the world will be back to black and white, only the huge national debt and high unemployment rate will remind us that it was not really just a dream. We can still HOPE for CHANGE on 11/6/12. ;-)
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #117
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,131

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I disagree with them as well and I went their recently to get food because I viewed it simply as a restaurant with views I disagree with. Now, these purposeful "appreciation" efforts by anti-SSM people and those who sympathize with them (you) have turned Chik Fil A into an anti-SSM mascot which I and other liberals don't even want to be associated with anymore which does more harm than good for them.
    I hadn't considered that and now I feel bad. While this boost of business will be good for a lot of them, I think the long term may turn out badly for those located in more liberal areas. Huckabee managed to put them in a bad position with this strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  8. #118
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    What's your point? You asked why there was a supposed "double standard" between Obama and Dan Cathy. The answer is simply that Obama's earlier position was insincere and everyone knew it, whereas Dan Cathy actually believes what he says and everyone knows that too. Therefore no double standard exists.
    Exactly, which is why I'm confused as to why she thinks me saying Obama's earlier position was insincere is funny. That's just what it was. /shrug

  9. #119
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,987

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Actually, you just look stupid because not even most liberals supported those government's decisions to push away Chik Fil A. This "appreciation day" nonsense is much ado about nothing.
    Did I ever mention liberals? Did I not very directly and specifically make my comments towards the individuals in local governments that have voiced the desire to harm Chick Fil A over the owner's views? Re-read my posts if you must. You can think the "appreciation" day stuff is stupid, but that doesn't change the fact that my purpose for going was to support my local franchise since they have recently come under fire.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  10. #120
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    re: Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day brings out supporters, protesters [W:529]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Yes, I used to work for them and I know that they are owned and managed by individuals. However, it was nice to be among the community and stand up for the First Amendment. I hope that this shows the intolerant local governments of some the bigoted officials that Americans who even support SSM will stand behind a company when the government tries to punish them over an owner's opinion on a social issue.
    What actually happened was a couple of mayors ran their mouths off a bit too much, quickly walked those statements back, and never took any legal action to keep Chick-Fil-A out of their cities. Dan Cathy, on the other hand, has done far more to deny people their constitutional rights than merely running his mouth. He has actively donated money to pro-discrimination hate groups.

    So can we drop the nonsense about how you only supported them because they were being persecuted by the government?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 12 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •