Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Erdogan arrives in Tehran to meet with Ahmadinejad

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    05-02-16 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,809

    Erdogan arrives in Tehran to meet with Ahmadinejad

    Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan arrived in Tehran early Wednesday morning for an official two-day visit, according to the state-run Islamic Republic News Agency.He is scheduled to meet with President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in the afternoon to discuss a host of regional issues, including Iranís nuclear program and the international pressure that has been placed on Syrian President Bashar Assad.
    Erdogan will also inaugurate a Turkish cultural center in Tehran.
    Erdogan arrives in Tehran to meet with Ahmadinejad | The Times of Israel

  2. #2
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Erdogan arrives in Tehran to meet with Ahmadinejad

    It will be unsuccessful as expected.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    05-02-16 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,809

    Re: Erdogan arrives in Tehran to meet with Ahmadinejad

    I find it kind of weird how the Turks are trying to strengthen relations with Iran, while at the same time trying to destroy Iran's main ally in the region.

  4. #4
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Erdogan arrives in Tehran to meet with Ahmadinejad

    I think it would be nice if some US high official landed in Tehran to meet. Then maybe we might see progress... .


  5. #5
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Erdogan arrives in Tehran to meet with Ahmadinejad

    Quote Originally Posted by 24107 View Post
    I find it kind of weird how the Turks are trying to strengthen relations with Iran, while at the same time trying to destroy Iran's main ally in the region.
    Because they aren't sincerely trying to strengthen relations. They want to be a Middle Eastern power player, and the ability to act as an interlocutor including with Iran is a pivotal part of that. Furthermore they have an interest for the time being in stable relations, as well as mutual economic interests and intersecting (though not mutual) concerns over Iraq, the Caucuses, the Gulf, etc.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    05-02-16 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,809

    Re: Erdogan arrives in Tehran to meet with Ahmadinejad

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Because they aren't sincerely trying to strengthen relations. They want to be a Middle Eastern power player, and the ability to act as an interlocutor including with Iran is a pivotal part of that. Furthermore they have an interest for the time being in stable relations, as well as mutual economic interests and intersecting (though not mutual) concerns over Iraq, the Caucuses, the Gulf, etc.
    Maybe your right, but im sure Iranian officials will be looking at the Turkish officials with a raised eyebrow, I'm sure the Iranians fully understand the Turks are to be greatly mistrusted.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Erdogan arrives in Tehran to meet with Ahmadinejad

    Quote Originally Posted by 24107 View Post
    Maybe your right, but im sure Iranian officials will be looking at the Turkish officials with a raised eyebrow, I'm sure the Iranians fully understand the Turks are to be greatly mistrusted.
    The Iranians have every reason to try and appease Turkey. If Turkey becomes as hostile to Iran as the Gulf States are then Iran will have finally managed to drive every single one of its neighbors firmly into the enemy camp, and Turkey is clearly one of the most powerful. Iran has been careful in how it has handled Turkey's approach to Syria for precisely this reason, choosing instead to focus more attention on the West.

  8. #8
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Erdogan arrives in Tehran to meet with Ahmadinejad

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    I think it would be nice if some US high official landed in Tehran to meet. Then maybe we might see progress... .
    You think the problem is a matter of visiting the country?
    Last edited by ecofarm; 07-31-12 at 01:12 AM.

  9. #9
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Erdogan arrives in Tehran to meet with Ahmadinejad

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You think the problem is a matter of visiting the country?
    No. I dont. I think lack of diplomacy and war hawks are the problem.


  10. #10
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Erdogan arrives in Tehran to meet with Ahmadinejad

    I think that mutually incompatible interests preclude the success of diplomatic overtures.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •