Page 69 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 681 to 690 of 871

Thread: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

  1. #681
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Same-sex couple denied wedding cake by bakery - CBS News

    This makes sense to boycott. His business is treating gay couples differently. Quite different from Chick Fil A. Many wont see the difference but there is one.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  2. #682
    Professor cmakaioz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Last Seen
    01-22-13 @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,582

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    http://www.towleroad.com/

    Washington D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray has made his views about Chick-fil-A known, on Twitter:

    "Given my longstanding strong support for LGBT rights & marriage equality, I would not support #hatechicken."

    Gray later responded to Twitter users about his statement, adding: "What's embarrassing about supporting equal rights for your gay fellow Americans?...This is about more than their CEO's personal opinions. They also give hundreds of thousands of dollars to anti-gay groups...I said I oppose them, but cannot legally bar them...Because they give significant amounts of $$ to organizations that actively oppose equal rights for gay people."

    Read more: Washington D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray Calls Chick-fil-A 'Hate Chicken'| News | Towleroad


    Sounds like the DC mayor would, if he could, ban this business BECAUSE he doesn't like where the guy gives his money.
    You have failed to read correctly, and thus have not responded at all to the statement I made. To remind you, my statement was:

    Quote Originally Posted by cmakaioz
    Try as I might, I still don't see any actual examples of someone (mayor or otherwise) telling the business owner where he can or can't donate money to political causes.

    I DO see one or more mayors expressing outrage at the Chick-Fil-A owner's financial support of harmful causes.

    I DON'T see anyone being told to whom/what they can or cannot donate money.

    You DO get that expressing outrage over something != telling someone what they can/can't do, right?
    (bolding mine)

    Speculation about what a given official might LIKE to do if it was within his or her power, or what they or anyone WISHES to be done...is not the same thing as ACTUALLY telling someone who or what they can't donate money to...let alone backing up that telling with the force of law.

    Do you acknowledge the fact that expressing outrage over something is not telling someone what they can and can't do?
    I've moved on to a better forum (scienceforums.net). Facts matter, and I don't have the time or energy for putting up with the pretense that they don't. PM me if you'd like me to get in touch with you when I'm done developing my own forum system, likely towards the end of 2013.

  3. #683
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Whatever makes you feel better I suppose.
    Doesn't make me feel good that someone in a political position/bully pulpit would act/react this way.

    IMO the business owner has the right to give his money to anyone he pleases or he can flush it down the toliet. It's his money and using a political position/bully pulpit against a citizen is wrong. Anyway you cut it.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy; it's inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." Winston Churchill

  4. #684
    Professor
    Billy the Kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 02:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,449

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by cmakaioz View Post
    You have failed to read correctly, and thus have not responded at all to the statement I made. To remind you, my statement was:


    (bolding mine)

    Speculation about what a given official might LIKE to do if it was within his or her power, or what they or anyone WISHES to be done...is not the same thing as ACTUALLY telling someone who or what they can't donate money to...let alone backing up that telling with the force of law.

    Do you acknowledge the fact that expressing outrage over something is not telling someone what they can and can't do?

    The mayor is using his position to bully this guy, IMO.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy; it's inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." Winston Churchill

  5. #685
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Same-sex couple denied wedding cake by bakery - CBS News

    This makes sense to boycott. His business is treating gay couples differently. Quite different from Chick Fil A. Many wont see the difference but there is one.
    Do you think that Chik-Fil-A would hire homosexuals who are legally married to a person of the same sex in states where it is legal? Would they treat homosexual employees differently if married to someone of the same sex than they would employees who are married to someone of the opposite sex?

    I think it is more than possible that this company will go out of its way to not hire people with same sex partners or who are homosexual because same sex marriage will soon be legal across the country and as a business, they would be required to treat same sex spouses the same way they do opposite sex spouses.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #686
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Do you think that Chik-Fil-A would hire homosexuals who are legally married to a person of the same sex in states where it is legal? Would they treat homosexual employees differently if married to someone of the same sex than they would employees who are married to someone of the opposite sex?
    yes I do. I have posted many times in this thread that I know a gay couple who work at Chick Fil A here. They are hired. Chick Fil A has shown no sign of discrimination in their restaurants. Not toward employees and not toward guests.

    I think it is more than possible that this company will go out of its way to not hire people with same sex partners or who are homosexual because same sex marriage will soon be legal across the country and as a business, they would be required to treat same sex spouses the same way they do opposite sex spouses.
    You can think that but you would appear to be wrong. Also I am not sure if you are aware of this but Mr. Cathy does not go to each store and do the hiring. That is done by each store manager. Not everyone at Chick Fil A shares Mr Cathy's views not as a business do they act on them if they do. The above statement is based on nothing.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  7. #687
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    yes I do. I have posted many times in this thread that I know a gay couple who work at Chick Fil A here. They are hired. Chick Fil A has shown no sign of discrimination in their restaurants. Not toward employees and not toward guests.
    Do their partners get covered under the company medical, dental, vision insurance as a dependent (if the person is eligible)?

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    You can think that but you would appear to be wrong. Also I am not sure if you are aware of this but Mr. Cathy does not go to each store and do the hiring. That is done by each store manager. Not everyone at Chick Fil A shares Mr Cathy's views not as a business do they act on them if they do. The above statement is based on nothing.
    It's based on the fact that the guy is telling the world that he is against same sex marriages and he is sending money to people who are working to spread lies about homosexuality and same sex couples. The perception of the situation is all it takes. Just like in the military when it comes to fraternization laws. They are in place to prevent the perception of favoritism, which is why people will be charged with fraternization by just hanging out with someone they shouldn't be because it could be perceived that they are not going to follow the rules and treat people well.

    On a personal level, I don't want money I spend going to causes that lie and promote hate and bigotry, so when I find out about businesses giving their profits to such organizations, I will choose not to spend my money at those businesses. I'm not going to picket or even expect anyone else to do so also, but I will do it. It should be a personal choice by everyone based on their own values. And no one should be told they are wrong for doing it.

    Even the example you gave should just be based on personal values. Should people that would continue to shop at that bakery be yelled at for making that decision, whether they agree with what the bakery did or not?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #688
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Do their partners get covered under the company medical, dental, vision insurance as a dependent (if the person is eligible)?

    I
    I would have to assume yes or there would be a rash of lawsuits.

    It's based on the fact that the guy is telling the world that he is against same sex marriages and he is sending money to people who are working to spread lies about homosexuality and same sex couples. The perception of the situation is all it takes.
    His business has no track record of discriminating against gay people at all.

    And no one should be told they are wrong for doing it.
    yes they should. Boycotting a business based on the owners or employees religion, sexual orientation, race, gender or creed is wrong. Encouraging others to do the same is even more wrong. It is bigoted.

    Even the example you gave should just be based on personal values. Should people that would continue to shop at that bakery be yelled at for making that decision, whether they agree with what the bakery did or not?
    The difference between this bakery and chick fil a is this man's business is actually discriminating against this couple because of their sexual orientation. It is one thing to be against ssm but treat all customers and employees the same, it is quite another to actually refuse service to homosexuals.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  9. #689
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    Doesn't make me feel good that someone in a political position/bully pulpit would act/react this way.

    IMO the business owner has the right to give his money to anyone he pleases or he can flush it down the toliet. It's his money and using a political position/bully pulpit against a citizen is wrong. Anyway you cut it.

    I agree with you that someone in a government position shouldn't abuse their power just because they don't like where they are spending their money legally. Where I disagree with you is that I don't think the DC mayor would do this. Hence my "Whatever makes you feel better I suppose" comment when you said you think the DC mayor would abuse his power if he could.

  10. #690
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Kid View Post
    The mayor is using his position to bully this guy, IMO.
    Not the DC mayor which you said you think he would. That is what cmakaioz comment was about.

Page 69 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •