Page 23 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 871

Thread: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

  1. #221
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    If Chik-Fil-A refuses to serve gays, that's a problem for me. Standing up for marriage as one man/one woman is not.
    The reality here is that chick fil a has done nothing as a business to discriminate against gays. They even employ homosexuals and treat them exactly the same. But that doesnt matter to some. People hate Chick Fil A because the ownership has religious beliefs and some people don't think it is proper for a person to have beliefs that are different from their own.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  2. #222
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    See^^^ Stupid gay Muppets.

    That's how it always starts, that whole liberal thingy..


    Tim-
    Teletubies BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

  3. #223
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    No, this was his position:

    I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I am not in favor of gay marriage. But when you start playing around with constitutions, just to prohibit somebody who cares about another person, it just seems to me that's not what America's about. Usually, our constitutions expand liberties, they don't contract them.
    Barack Obama

    Read more at Gay Quotes - BrainyQuote
    You know, I've heard that one before ("Usually, our constitutions expand liberties, they don't contract them"). It seems to fall flat considering the changes and interpretations made to the federal Constitution since the beginning. Most I think have been restrictions on ennumerated rights, especially SCOTUS interpretations. Is there a right listed in the Bill of Rights that hasn't been further restricted over the course of time?

  4. #224
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    You know, I've heard that one before ("Usually, our constitutions expand liberties, they don't contract them"). It seems to fall flat considering the changes and interpretations made to the federal Constitution since the beginning. Most I think have been restrictions on ennumerated rights, especially SCOTUS interpretations. Is there a right listed in the Bill of Rights that hasn't been further restricted over the course of time?
    Why don't you give an example of what you are tlking about?

  5. #225
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,151

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    The reality here is that chick fil a has done nothing as a business to discriminate against gays. They even employ homosexuals and treat them exactly the same. But that doesnt matter to some. People hate Chick Fil A because the ownership has religious beliefs and some people don't think it is proper for a person to have beliefs that are different from their own.

    what the owner has done, in following his personal beliefs, is fund organizations that work to oppose the equal rights of those of the same sex who want to get married
    some of those who are not aligned with those views have agreed to boycott his business to mitigate the funds available for him to spend in that odious exercise
    kudos to ms Henson
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  6. #226
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,468

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Except no one actually believed that Obama didn't support same-sex marriage in the first place. This Chick-Fil-A guy clearly supports discrimination. **** him.
    SO when he said inhis own words that he didn't support SSM, he was lying? Is that your opinion?

  7. #227
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And you can go right on doing that. And I'll continue to think your argument is rather hollow when you're complaining about people being inconsistent because in their opinion their inconsistency is justified.
    Muciti was saying that the boycott was divisive. Yet he was stunningly silent about the company being boycotted suggesting that God will punish everyone (as if there wasn't a New Covenant like Christians are supposed to believe) because gay people would get married. If you can point out his rationale for that I am all ears. I gave you my rationale. You are free to dismiss it as you like.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Tell me. Does your stance against bigotry extend to the government being allowed to circumvent the law to defacto violate the 1st amendment when bigots like Westboro speak, or is it only the 14th amendment that you have no problem with the government circumventing? Or do you pick and choose when bigotry warrants an end around for the government?
    If your religion dehumanizes and works to oppress people, I have no problem with your religion waiving their right to protection.

    Tell me, do you think that the government should stop prosecuting tax evasion and tax fraud as it violates the 5th Amendment right against self incrimination?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Now, there's no problem with being inconsistent strictly based on ones opinion of whether something is right or wrong....which is really what you're doing comes down to. A lot of people, actually I dare say most people probably myself included at some points, probably try to clarify why things are "DIFFERENT" in situations where we're being inconsistent. However, the issue here is that you're trying to belittle someone's argument for "damning" one thing and giving another a pass on a topic that you yourself are doing that same very thing.
    He hasn't explained the difference in his double standard. Would you like to explain his double standard? I at least did explain why I saw it as different. Not everything is black and white. There are nuances depending on various circumstances.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    It's one thing to be inconsistent on an issue occasoinally but point out someones inconsistency on a totally unrelated issue. You're inconsistent due to your opinion on a related issue and yet you're wanting to try to counter someone's point by suggesting they're inconsistent in action.
    When you or anyone else can explain what is different in his point about divisiveness then your objection will hold more weight with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  8. #228
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    See^^^ Stupid gay Muppets.

    That's how it always starts, that whole liberal thingy..


    Tim-
    That's right, the biggest kid should get all the toys!
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  9. #229
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    They even employ homosexuals and treat them exactly the same. But that doesnt matter to some.
    Good for them. I have doubts as to whether they would have this policy if the government didn't force them to.

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    People hate Chick Fil A because the ownership has religious beliefs and some people don't think it is proper for a person to have beliefs that are different from their own.
    It's probably because those people only had one parent and therefor are "emotionally handicapped".
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  10. #230
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,774

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Well, well, well well well! Looks like Chick-Fil-A wants to pick and choose which parts of "God's principles" they espouse!



    Read that notice carefully. Really, a safety concern? And this just happened within a couple days of the big announcement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus 20:16
    Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
    Way to go, Chick-Fil-A. You preached "God's principles"...and then broke one of the Ten Commandments!
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

Page 23 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •