Page 10 of 88 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 871

Thread: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    What if their employees are Jewish?
    They can go to church too. They need to, so they can learn something!

    A business has a right to close on Sundays, and has a right to say its so their employees can go to church. What the employees do on that day is up to them.
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 07-26-12 at 03:13 PM.

  2. #92
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    If you read my previous posts you would see that I think boycotts are effective and deny revenue. I also strongly stated that a business license is a RIGHT if the business is in compliance with zoning and product matters that apply to all. I'm vehemently in favor of SSM, I hold religion in utter disdain, but I'm appalled that the license was denied on the basis of their ugly philosophies. This is completely wrong and will not survive the expensive and unnecessary legal battle to follow.




    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    The issue specklebang that got the whole ball rolling on this subject are Chicago and Boston's decisions to deny business licenses to Chick-Fil-A based on the owners public comments espousing his opinion on SSM. Boycotting is pointless anyway, and anyway it's really beside the point. It's one thing to boycott, it's another to use the power of government to prevent someone from opening a business based on their religious beliefs.

  3. #93
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Here's the thing, I feel VERY strongly for SSM. I had a brother who was gay and was with the same man for 18 years. He died without having the right to marry the person he loved. So, yes, I feel it is right to base my spending habits on companies that openly are against SSM like Chic-fil-A.

    If someone else feels that strongly against SSM, then it would be right for them as well to not spend money someplace that supports SSM.

    There are people on the right and left that will either shop or not shop at places that say Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays. While I think that may be silly, someone may feel strongly enough either to shop or not shop there.

    I guess my point is ultimately it is my money, and for what I have control of, I will decide who gets it.
    I know it is there right. You are not understanding my question. Is it the right thing for people to do who disagree with your point of view? You stated earlier people should boycott Chick fil a because of the opinion of their owner. I assume you think it is the right thing to do.

    Lets say you and I were out and wanted to get some lunch and there was a restaurant owned by 2 gay men. If I did not agree with homosexuality would that be a good reason for me to not go to that restaurant? Or rather would it make more sense for me to eat some lunch there since their beliefs have nothing to do with my sandwich?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  4. #94
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    I know it is there right. You are not understanding my question. Is it the right thing for people to do who disagree with your point of view? You stated earlier people should boycott Chick fil a because of the opinion of their owner. I assume you think it is the right thing to do.

    Lets say you and I were out and wanted to get some lunch and there was a restaurant owned by 2 gay men. If I did not agree with homosexuality would that be a good reason for me to not go to that restaurant? Or rather would it make more sense for me to eat some lunch there since their beliefs have nothing to do with my sandwich?
    If you chose not to eat there it would be because of your bigotry. That is the difference. People boycotting Chick Fil-A do so because the owner is a bigot and supports other bigots.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  5. #95
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,730

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Funny how Chick Fil A has maintained the same positions for 44 years and the liberal groups suddenly found their voice and outrage...two months after Obama 'changed' his position.

    The people upset over Chick Fil A's position on gay marriage have all the integrity of a singly ply cracked balsa wood bridge. If their own 'values' can be so easily sold out in the name of politics how can they expect ANYONE to take them seriously? I guarantee...ChickFilA comes out the winner on all of these public displays of 'courageous' outrage.

  6. #96
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Funny how Chick Fil A has maintained the same positions for 44 years and the liberal groups suddenly found their voice and outrage...two months after Obama 'changed' his position.

    The people upset over Chick Fil A's position on gay marriage have all the integrity of a singly ply cracked balsa wood bridge. If their own 'values' can be so easily sold out in the name of politics how can they expect ANYONE to take them seriously? I guarantee...ChickFilA comes out the winner on all of these public displays of 'courageous' outrage.
    I'm betting most people didn't realize Chick Fil A's stance before now.

    I appreciate the irony of your outrage of the politicization of this issue by throwing Obama into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  7. #97
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,635

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    I don't see Old Testament folks as Christians, maybe some sect of orthodox Judaism, but not Christian. JC came a few centuries after an eye for an eye.

    I don't see Chick fil a as espousing it's Christian Mission statement but rather a Robertson moment where they ponder out loud about Gawd not liking us shaking our fists and possible punishment.

    It crossed the line from Christian Values to holding the wrath of Gawd overhead.

    I don't care what the muppets do or don't do, I wouldn't bet on Jim Henson being oversad about the stand being taken.

    Never been in a chik fast food place, most likely never will, their 'Christian mission Statement' never impressed me, their food average at best.

  8. #98
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,193

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    I know it is there right. You are not understanding my question. Is it the right thing for people to do who disagree with your point of view? You stated earlier people should boycott Chick fil a because of the opinion of their owner. I assume you think it is the right thing to do.

    Lets say you and I were out and wanted to get some lunch and there was a restaurant owned by 2 gay men. If I did not agree with homosexuality would that be a good reason for me to not go to that restaurant? Or rather would it make more sense for me to eat some lunch there since their beliefs have nothing to do with my sandwich?
    I support the right of anybody who chooses not to patronize a particular business for whatever reason.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    If you chose not to eat there it would be because of your bigotry. That is the difference. People boycotting Chick Fil-A do so because the owner is a bigot and supports other bigots.
    Ironic dont you think? Equality is not something you agree with? Are people allowed to have beliefs that differ from yours, or does that make them suddenly a bigot? One would argue that you boycotting a business because of a persons beliefs is equally bigotted.
    Last edited by Kreton; 07-26-12 at 03:33 PM.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  10. #100
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,730

    Re: Muppets owner Lisa Henson severs ties with Chick-Fil-A over SSM

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    I'm betting most people didn't realize Chick Fil A's stance before now.

    I appreciate the irony of your outrage of the politicization of this issue by throwing Obama into it.
    The irony is not from me...the irony is all the people running around pretending to give a **** about this issue while they swallowed their outrage throughout the Obama presidency. The irony is that they ignored the issue...as long as it was the same as Obamas. Oh...wait...thats not really irony is it...its just blatant, pathetic hypocrisy.

    So...they will be attacking EVERY group that is opposed to gay marriage now...right? They will be going after black ministers, Hispanic and black groups...just like they did following the prop 8 vote in California. OH...wait...they didnt. So...yeah...it WILL be just like California.

    ****ing hypocrites.

Page 10 of 88 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •