Page 8 of 97 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 962

Thread: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

  1. #71
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I disagree with Chick-fil-a management on this issue(obviously), but damn they are so good I will gladly ignore my morals to eat a chicken biscuit once a month

    exactly. There are lots of companies that I have philosophical issues with...but as long as they aren't doing anything illegal and they make a good product at a reasonable price, I'll buy it
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #72
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,416

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    exactly. There are lots of companies that I have philosophical issues with...but as long as they aren't doing anything illegal and they make a good product at a reasonable price, I'll buy it
    And besides, Chick-Fil-A is not going to slow down the legalization of SSM at all so it's rather pointless to get in a fuss.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  3. #73
    Tavern Bartender
    Fly Eagles Fly
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,607
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Really? You'd change your eating habits just to spite someone? Seems kind of silly and counter productive.

    Anyway, I disagree with the actions of these cities. Chik-Fil-A as far as I can tell has no discriminatory practices in the form of not serving or hiring people based on any kind of unjustifiable reason, like skin color or sexuality. It is the right of the business owner, as an individual citizen, and the right of the company, especially after Citizen's United, to engage in political speech even if I personally think their opinions are narrow minded and stupid. If a city wishes to bar a business from operating in their jurisdiction they need better reasons than personal disagreements about politics.

    Operating and owning a business is a not something protected under the 1st amendment, however that's irrelevant.
    I have to agree with you here. I find it interesting why government is taking a stance to begin with. They should know better.
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  4. #74
    Tavern Bartender
    Fly Eagles Fly
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,607
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Same view here as I had during the Mosque debate. While I can understand (though don't agree) with peoples desire not to see Chick-Fil-A in their city, utlimately elected officials should not be ordering city employees to discriminate based on religious or political beliefs held by someone whose a part of that business. If individuals want to boycott them (and miss out on the tasty chicken goodness) then that's perfectly fine...but mayors should not be utilizing their power to stop a business from acting in a legal manner based singularly on their political/religious beliefs
    Good analogy, Zyph. I couldn't agree more. I must admit I have to urge to look back at that thread and observe the stances of those who think this is an injustice and see if there's consistency.
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

  5. #75
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    I'm a little torn on this one. On the one hand I do agree that a business owner's opinions should not prevent him from getting a license. On the other hand, Chick-Fil-A does more then just express an opinion. The chain donates a lot of money to a host of politically active organisations that lobby to keep gays from obtaining the right to civil marriage. In light of this, I'm not too much against local governments taking a stand, especially in places like Boston where gay marriage is legal. It's not legal in Illinois, though, so that's a little dicier, but still...
    I do understand where you're coming from, but in the current legal environment a private business should be free to donate money to whatever charitable or political organizations they choose without fear that local governments will bar them from doing business or opening new locations in response.

    If Chick-Fil-A was hosting rallies to promote the views of its owners on company property and those rallies continued even after local authorities or neighborhood organizations asked them to host them elsewhere because of whatever quality-of-life issues resulted, that would be a good reason to withhold a license. Or if they were turning away gay customers. Or if they were discriminating in their hiring practices in violation of labor laws. That kind of thing.

    In other words, if their day-to-day behavior disrupted the peace or flagrantly violated social taboo or violated the law, those would be good reasons to withhold a license.

    What political activity they support with their profits is not a good reason to withhold a license -- it's a good reason for residents to withhold custom.


    ETA: I will make one exception -- if the community in question had completed and filed a community planning document (the kind of document they'd have to have in order to deny WalMart the right to buy property and build a new facility on it) which spoke to this kind of political activity, they'd have more ground to stand on. It wouldn't be great ground, but it would serve as yet another example why we should pay attention to local and not just state or national politics.
    Last edited by TacticalEvilDan; 07-25-12 at 07:22 PM.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  6. #76
    Struggler
    JayDubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    17,181

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Chicago has values?

  7. #77
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    36,064

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel17 View Post
    Well, lest you misinterpret my stance, I'm not sitting here saying that I think Rahm's proposal is a great idea. I disagree with the Chick-fil-A guy's comments to the utmost, but I think this is the wrong way to oppose him. I'm simply talking about the legality of the move, which I think is sound. I think opposing the Mosque was silly, but I know of no evidence that it's illegal.

    Oh, and you accidentally "liked" my last post. Just lettin' you know.
    That "like" was no accident, as I did like the post, since it CORRECTLY relates the permit denial to 1st amendment rights. You seriously do not believe that denying business licenses/use permits based on political ideology (or religious views) is illegal? I find that very strange. The first amendment grants BOTH religious freedom and free speech rights, preventing gov't from denying either. Denying gov't permits based directly on political/religious views is certainly unconstitutional. I hope the business sues and takes loads of money from the Chicago taxpayers, then the voters MAY see that electing a moron for a mayor was an expensive mistake.
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 07-25-12 at 07:24 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #78
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    And besides, Chick-Fil-A is not going to slow down the legalization of SSM at all so it's rather pointless to get in a fuss.
    again...exactly. Danny Glover is a flaming liberal douchebag and Mel Gibson is a bigotted assmunch, but that didn't stop me from watching all the Lethal Weapon movies
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    I wasn't aware this Rahm fellow decided what Chicago's values were.

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    12-30-17 @ 04:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

    Once again, freedom of speech only matters if you agree with liberal indoctrination.
    Noooooo...I live in Chicago and we just got Chik-fil-a and I love it.

Page 8 of 97 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •