Page 76 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 760 of 962

Thread: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

  1. #751
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    The longer I've had to think about this, the madder it makes me. This is really an underlying problem -- the fact that politicians use their power to punish and censor. There was a time in our culture (not long ago) that an alderman or mayor coming out and saying he was going to do everything in his power to stop a faith-based company from opening up shop in his neighborhood would have been tarred, feathered and run out of town.

    But today, if one comes out and says, "We are a faith-based company who believes in the Biblical defintion of marriage," it's okay-fine to use your political clout to bring them to their knees."

    We should be outraged.
    I'm outraged that this is even an issue.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  2. #752
    Student Boring Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago Suburb
    Last Seen
    10-01-13 @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    230

    Re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Clearly Rahm has never eaten at one of these restaurants. Unarguably the best fast food place in my area from a customer service point of view and a food quality/taste point of view. Their only crime is not opening on Sundays! (Though it's a fantastic policy for the people working there)
    "The enemy isn’t conservatism. The enemy isn’t liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t."

  3. #753
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,305

    Re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    What does this have ANYTHING to do with the comment I made?
    Sorry, I was commenting on the concept that city officials are openly discussing denying a company a business permit based on the protected speech made by the CEO.
    If the public chooses not to patronize that business, that is one thing, for the city to deny them a right to try is
    discrimination.

  4. #754
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    Sorry, I was commenting on the concept that city officials are openly discussing denying a company a business permit based on the protected speech made by the CEO.
    If the public chooses not to patronize that business, that is one thing, for the city to deny them a right to try is
    discrimination.
    And my comment that you quoted specifically stated I am NOT for the government abusing their power to deny a company a business permit based on who they give money to. However, I do believe individuals have the right to boycott this comapny.

  5. #755
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    And my comment that you quoted specifically stated I am NOT for the government abusing their power to deny a company a business permit based on who they give money to. However, I do believe individuals have the right to boycott this comapny.
    I dont think anyone is denying the individual right to boycott. The bigger picture here is that a government official has put his (and several other) cities at risk to civil litigation in the name of partisanship and hyopocrisy. And lets be honest...if you are a homosexual and arent pissed to the wall at Rahm Emmanuel for his selective outrage while he endorsed and embraced Farrakhan who has said far worse about homosexuals than Cathy ever has...then...straight up? You yourself are a worthless piece of **** that sells out your 'values' for politics. You deserve no respect because you dont respect yourself. This ginned up controversy specifically exploits the same people that Emmanuel, with his very next action, ****s all over.

  6. #756
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    With Chick-fil-A fight, progressive mayors get their ‘Ground Zero Mosque’ moment - Guest Voices - The Washington Post
    "This week, mayors of Boston, Chicago and San Francisco warned Chick-fil-A and its CEO Dan Cathy, who’s been an outspoken opponent of same-sex marriage, not to pursue new franchises in their cities. Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said he shares his fellow mayors’ concerns and would consider trying to block the chain as well.

    “Closest #ChickFilA to San Francisco is 40 miles away,” tweeted San Francisco Mayor Edwin Lee on July 26, “& I strongly recommend that they not try to come any closer.”"

    Do you think they mean to deny the chain entry into their cities by force of will?
    No they will deny them a permit!
    ...or what?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #757
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I dont think anyone is denying the individual right to boycott. The bigger picture here is that a government official has put his (and several other) cities at risk to civil litigation in the name of partisanship and hyopocrisy.
    I agree with that. However, there are people upset at just individuals boycotting this.

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    And lets be honest...if you are a homosexual and arent pissed to the wall at Rahm Emmanuel for his selective outrage while he endorsed and embraced Farrakhan who has said far worse about homosexuals than Cathy ever has...then...straight up? You yourself are a worthless piece of **** that sells out your 'values' for politics. You deserve no respect because you dont respect yourself. This ginned up controversy specifically exploits the same people that Emmanuel, with his very next action, ****s all over.
    Any conservative voting for Romney then is a worthless piece of **** that sells out their values for politics. They deserve no respect becuase they don't respect themeselves.

    Works in many ways.

  8. #758
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    ...or what?
    Or else we'll have to deal with the San Fran Chicken Crisis.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  9. #759
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I agree with that. However, there are people upset at just individuals boycotting this.



    Any conservative voting for Romney then is a worthless piece of **** that sells out their values for politics. They deserve no respect becuase they don't respect themeselves.

    Works in many ways.
    Any 'conservative' voting for ANY GOP candidate is as mindless as anyone that votes for a democrat based solely on party affiliation. It does indeed cut both ways.

  10. #760
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    Re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I agree with that. However, there are people upset at just individuals boycotting this.
    I'm all for people expressing themselves using their most powerful voting means...their dollar. I think people that boycotted Target for selling Rainbow Oreos are foolish...but hey...have a ball. People want to boycott ChickFilA because the owner doesnt believe the laws should be changed to allow for gay marriage? By all means...by your fast food elsewhere. I will be interested to see what the end result of all this will be. Im willing to bet that their business bottom line has actually increased.

Page 76 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •