Page 6 of 97 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 962

Thread: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

  1. #51
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,784

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Exactly.

    "We're only going to give business licenses to Democrats."
    "We're only going to give business licenses to Catholics."
    "We're only going to give business licenses to union shops."
    Ad Infinitum.

    If this isn't illegal? It should be.

    BTW, Boston's mayor did the same thing last week.
    this again I agree with but freedom of speech isnt infringed, right not to be unfairly discriminate against is
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    08-07-12 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    216

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    My post was different from stating that YOUR values are not MY values so you may not do business in this town how? Is this not what you support; each is free to do as they please without regard to the rights of others? If our opinons differ then you must look elsewhere to do business?
    Well, if I walked into someone's place of business and they asked me to leave, that's their prerogative. It's not exactly parallel to our topic, because the government's role is different. But let me put it to you this way: how is this any different from the Ground Zero Mosque incident? I won't be an idiot and assume you felt one way or another about it at the time, because I don't know crap about you. But do you think there is any difference between that incidence and what we're talking about now?

  3. #53
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,046

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    I don't like what the Chick fil a guy said, but to bar them from building a restaurant because of it is idiotic. I hope they add up how many jobs and how much economic impact that refusing that store is going to cost the city and run that by the people in the city and all of the people that want to block construction. I'd vote to recall our mayor or our city council if they did something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    uh that is so small as to be stupid. Do you want registration? given less than 3% of criminals get their guns from private sales, its pretty much a waste of resources
    **Thirty Minutes Later**
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are confused. I never denied that many criminals get guns in private sales.

  4. #54
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,565

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel17 View Post
    Well, if I walked into someone's place of business and they asked me to leave, that's their prerogative. It's not exactly parallel to our topic, because the government's role is different. But let me put it to you this way: how is this any different from the Ground Zero Mosque incident? I won't be an idiot and assume you felt one way or another about it at the time, because I don't know crap about you. But do you think there is any difference between that incidence and what we're talking about now?
    No. The issue is very similar. If a property is zoned to include that use, it should not be up to the gov't to deny that use. Holding up a permit based only on political (or religious) views of the applicant should be illegal, just as requiring a political contribution or bribe would be. I believe that the NYC mosque "deal" was simply a publicity stunt to help raise funds for its construction, but did not oppose it.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #55
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    I'm a little torn on this one. On the one hand I do agree that a business owner's opinions should not prevent him from getting a license. On the other hand, Chick-Fil-A does more then just express an opinion. The chain donates a lot of money to a host of politically active organisations that lobby to keep gays from obtaining the right to civil marriage. In light of this, I'm not too much against local governments taking a stand, especially in places like Boston where gay marriage is legal. It's not legal in Illinois, though, so that's a little dicier, but still...
    Last edited by Arcana XV; 07-25-12 at 06:31 PM.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,142

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Just another example of "if you agree with my liberal stance, I won't punish you"

    I wonder what the ACLU would have to say about a mayor who blocked the construction of a private business where the owner claimed he was an atheist?

    Come on guys, we all know the left is chalked full of double standards. I've come to expect this kind of reaction and thuggery from the left. They are liars, cheats, and hide behind the shield of "tolerance". Anyone with a contrasting opinion to theirs is labeled "intollerant". This is about freedom of speech and expression. It says to any other business owner, "if you do not agree with our social values, you will be punished by not being allowed to do business here".

    Any person who agrees with this kind of reaction is a straight up tyrant. And they are supposed to be the party of "tolerance". We've known for a long time that liberals are more intollerant than any other group in our society. They do not tolerate opposing view points. They do not tolerate religious expression. They do not tolerate those who oppose abortion. They do not tolerate those who honor traditional marriage. They do not tolerate a lot of things. They attack them, ridicule them, punish them, and label them.

    who's shocked????

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    08-07-12 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    216

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    No. The issue is very similar. If a property is zoned to include that use, it should not be up to the gov't to deny that use. Holding up a permit based only on political (or religious) views of the applicant should be illegal, just as requiring a political contribution or bribe would be. I believe that the NYC mosque "deal" was simply a publicity stunt to help raise funds for its construction, but did not oppose it.
    Well, lest you misinterpret my stance, I'm not sitting here saying that I think Rahm's proposal is a great idea. I disagree with the Chick-fil-A guy's comments to the utmost, but I think this is the wrong way to oppose him. I'm simply talking about the legality of the move, which I think is sound. I think opposing the Mosque was silly, but I know of no evidence that it's illegal.

    Oh, and you accidentally "liked" my last post. Just lettin' you know.

  8. #58
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,964

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Same view here as I had during the Mosque debate. While I can understand (though don't agree) with peoples desire not to see Chick-Fil-A in their city, utlimately elected officials should not be ordering city employees to discriminate based on religious or political beliefs held by someone whose a part of that business. If individuals want to boycott them (and miss out on the tasty chicken goodness) then that's perfectly fine...but mayors should not be utilizing their power to stop a business from acting in a legal manner based singularly on their political/religious beliefs

  9. #59
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,784

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Same view here as I had during the Mosque debate. While I can understand (though don't agree) with peoples desire not to see Chick-Fil-A in their city, utlimately elected officials should not be ordering city employees to discriminate based on religious or political beliefs held by someone whose a part of that business. If individuals want to boycott them (and miss out on the tasty chicken goodness) then that's perfectly fine...but mayors should not be utilizing their power to stop a business from acting in a legal manner based singularly on their political/religious beliefs

    this I agree with also 100%
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    11-08-13 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,142

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    What IS shocking, is how people of a free society actually agree with this kind of crap. You say you value freedom? Really? You think it supports the philosophy of freedom to oppose a private business from coming into your community simply because the owner of that company has an opposing opinion about gay marriage????

    This is precisely how the left operates. This is precisely how they "impose" their social values onto society. They say, unless you want to be financially punished, you will keep your opposing opinions to yourself. Party of tolerance? Supporters of freedom?

    Give me a break.....to the lefties, freedom means "freedom to silence or punish anyone who doesn't agree with me". To them, it was noble that a mayor of a large city sent the message that any opinion on gay marriage contradicting the opinion that gay marriage is fine, will not be tolerated. "you wanna build in my city? Then you better keep your opinions on gay marriage to yourself".

    Yes, that's how the left operates......and it's shocking so many people agree with their tactics.

Page 6 of 97 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •