Page 5 of 97 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 962

Thread: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

  1. #41
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,367

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    i believe there have already been cases on this from business and federal contractors taking it to the supreme court,ill have to find the case,but if i remember correctly discriminating against any business for political views was deemed illegal,since the government cannot discriminate against building permits,contracts etc for any reason,rather it would have to be an actual business related/zoning issue for denial.

    to top this off its already known that the permit was blocked for politicalmotives,i guarantee if it was taken to the supreme court,chick fil a would win easily.


    also to note not allowing bussiness for political reasons,or only allowing business that agree with certain doctrines,is a well know practice in this little thing called fascism.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    08-07-12 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    216

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I bolded where you've really gone off the tracks on this. The reason a business is denied a license does indeed matter, very much so. If they are denied license by government because of what they said, that is a clear First Amendment violation.

    You disagree with what they said, so you see no problem with them being punished by government, and that's no surprise - but it is shallow.
    Where was your reasoning for this during the Ground Zero mosque debate?

    Can you show me the legal basis for what you said? I'm no law expert, but I don't know of any case where what you just asserted has been upheld. I'm not saying you're wrong, you may be right and if so I will admit my mistake. But show me the proof if it exists. Because I don't think there's the constitutional basis for what you said.
    Last edited by Miguel17; 07-25-12 at 06:08 PM.

  3. #43
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,786

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Nonsense. The difference is that a boycott is a private sector action. This is government doing this.
    no not nonsense at all, doesnt matter, his freedom of speech would still exist, it didnt go anywhere

    they would be violating his right to not be discriminated against IF they are doing it unfairly
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #44
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,786

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    yeah that's right...you can say whatever you want and people can punish or chastise you for it if they want.
    thats not what I said at all but nice try LMAO

    but in general this is true depending on what you consider punishment
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #45
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by beerftw View Post
    i believe there have already been cases on this from business and federal contractors taking it to the supreme court,ill have to find the case,but if i remember correctly discriminating against any business for political views was deemed illegal,since the government cannot discriminate against building permits,contracts etc for any reason,rather it would have to be an actual business related/zoning issue for denial.

    to top this off its already known that the permit was blocked for politicalmotives,i guarantee if it was taken to the supreme court,chick fil a would win easily.


    also to note not allowing bussiness for political reasons,or only allowing business that agree with certain doctrines,is a well know practice in this little thing called fascism.
    Exactly.

    "We're only going to give business licenses to Democrats."
    "We're only going to give business licenses to Catholics."
    "We're only going to give business licenses to union shops."
    Ad Infinitum.

    If this isn't illegal? It should be.

    BTW, Boston's mayor did the same thing last week.
    Last edited by MaggieD; 07-25-12 at 06:12 PM.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #46
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,786

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Omgitsme View Post
    Your right his freedom of speech hasnt been infringed technically. But it is still wrong in my opinion to keep him from opening more restaurants because of his personal opinions.
    maybe its wrong, dont know what the rules are, but I have to agree it certainly seems wrong by legal standards. If theres some weird "ethics code" in the previsions to be granted buisness locations then it could be legal.

    again I would say its SHADY and seems wrong though
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #47
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,566

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel17 View Post
    In my experience, ad hominem attacks usually come out when the interlocutor realizes they have no case. Not that it's relevant to what we're talking about or any of your business, but I'm not gay. What does anything you just wrote have to do with what we're talking about? Your unfounded and irrelevant assertion contributes nothing. I am a hypocrit [sic] of the most extreme variety because I (whom you don't know) would hypothetically squeal if I and someone who doesn't exist were asked to leave a hypothetical bar or hypothetical restaurant? That's your devastating rebuttal to my argument? Even if it were true, it would still be irrelevant. If you don't have anything constructive to say, you don't have to type anything at all. You can just sit back and watch the action.
    My post was different from stating that YOUR values are not MY values so you may not do business in this town how? Is this not what you support; each is free to do as they please without regard to the rights of others? If our opinons differ then you must look elsewhere to do business?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #48
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,786

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by jambalaya View Post
    No it is not really subjective. We wouldn't be having this argument about SSM if there weren't such thing as a traditional marriage. Traditional just means predominately practiced and accepted. I doesn't matter if you can point out examples of SSM elsewhere we have to deal with our tradition like it or not. Traditional marriage is real in the U.S. but now many disagree with the traditional definition of marriage. I respect that argument if not the exact way to change things. This guy expressed an opinion with which some people disagree. I would bet a lot of Chicago residents have the same opinion on the matter so it really isn't Chicago values so to speak. Not a free speech matter though.
    more propaganda

    and YES it is 100% subjective and thats a fact
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #49
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,786

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry7 View Post
    If Cleveland forbidded the wearing of any NFL gear other than the Brown's, would you consider your rights violated? Because that is basically what Emanuel is doing. Only one opinion is allowed. Either recite the proper script or be punished economically.
    no that is not what is going on at all, sorry your example is not a parallel
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #50
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,728

    re: Rahm: “Chick-fil-A Values Are Not Chicago Values” [W:698]

    I don't eat at Chick-fil-A restaurants because they put a LOT of money towards causes that, IMHO, discriminate against gays. No problem there. I can eat wherever I wish. You can call me a poopy head, or whatever, all you like, for choosing to not eat there for the reasons I gave. I will still not eat there.

    Now here's the rub. I am NOT the government. I am an individual who is exercising my choices. However, the government has no business whatsoever telling it's constituents what kind of restaurants they will be allowed to eat at, and which ones they won't be allowed to eat at. If Chick-fil-A is really that much at odds with community standards, then I am sure they will go out of business if that community decides to boycott them. In that case, Chick-fil-A has made a bad business decision, and of course will pay the price for that bad decision. But community standards are not determined by the government, but by the COMMUNITY. That's why they are called community standards, and not government standards.

    Enough of my rambling. Let me just sum everything up in my own words............................

    To the government - A poem just for you..........

    Roses are shut the **** up
    Violets are shut the **** up
    Shut the **** up
    Shut the **** up.

    /poem
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

Page 5 of 97 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •